Panasonic surprises us all with their new 12x optical zoom Lumix DMC-FZ1

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!!! my next upgrade :D
how they managed to have 12X in such a compact camera!!!
amazing

of course its isn't the megapixels that I'm thinking when I read the news; its LEICA LEICA LEICA plus a BIG 12X OPTICAL ZOOM!
sure can take good photo one :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Goondu
Megapixels isn't everything. ;)

erm well ok hehe... it >is< quite a feature-filled cam IF u discount the 2 mp... but why not reduce the 12x to 10x and use 3 mp? the IS will easily bring it above others...

I will be eager to see what this machine can do as well. But don't assume Leica lenses always do wonders, much depends on the CCD and the software algorithm as well. Remember the current Lumix line, the "crayon-like" pattern as pointed out by Phil Askey? Hope this doesn't appear in the new Lumix.

mega zoom lenses usually compromise on quality. While c-2040z gives good pictures, c700uz suffers some degradation, like CA, mainly due to the compact long zoom lens. Of course leica and panasonic may overcome that, which is what I'm interested to see too.

And on a personal prefence, I think the camera looks quite ugly. no offence, just a personal thing. Also I thought it will be good to have a hotshoe.

yeah everyone seems to be using leica or carl zeiss lens nowadays in consumer cams... is it another design office altogether? surely the hasselblads MF designs are diff from the mass-produced sony 707s?

CCD or CMOS got difference in the picture quality?

I think the leica lens will make up for the Megapixel.

I think the leica lens will go unnoticed by the 2 mp.. LOL can resolve meh so low res...
seeing that 12mp cams are able to out-resolve test charts, the 2mp shd be quite coarse grained..
CMOS tend to have less grain, so far from d30 to 1ds

paiseh chrominance noise I think...
erm or luminance or a combi... cos of the ccd needing more current hence higher chancce of noise...

Originally posted by Encino

CMOS tends to be cooler and hence could produce good long exposure shots with low noise compared to CCD. but there're also lousy CMOS sensors used in webcams and very lowend cameras.

erm diff process lah those CMOS... even the 68k motorola chip has evolved until it's inside ur handphones now, as opposed to the kitkat bar inside ur Apple II...

Originally posted by Encino

I think the leica lens will make up for the Megapixel.

Leica lens will also make up for poor composition, camera shake, and forgetting to take the lens cap off as well.

As i understand it, current Panasonic digicams have "leica" lenses but the cameras umm... aren't very good for the price?

Originally posted by erwinx

Leica lens will also make up for poor composition, camera shake, and forgetting to take the lens cap off as well.

Wow, I must get some Leica lenses, then....

To paraphrase my Cantonese-speaking grandma: "Leica tau, er!"

leica tau? LOL
although I think "WTS Lomo" is waaaay funnier LOVL, first time I saw this ad I burst into loud manical laughter for a whole minute!

Originally posted by hong2
Wow!
with image stabilizer; better spec than the UZi...

Nice try , but its not ...
The CCD its smaller than the UZI , this is a sign of more noise in comparison with the UZI ..
Plus that the small sensor of the Panasonic with the 12X zoom power , it will give less real zoom power in the equivalent of the 35mm cameras , than the UZI ..
So i guess that its a good try , but not good enough to strike the UZI king ..

Status
Not open for further replies.