Panasonic LX3 & Wide Con

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpan1975

Dec 23, 2007
Comparison between native 24mm & 3rd party Emolux Adaptor ($30 new) + 52 - 55mm step up ring + Oly 0.7x wcon ($80 used)

With refer to the user manual (pg 90).
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX3.PDF
For better performance, the Wide conversion setting is set to "ON". But During this test, this option was set to "OFF"

Only resize done, no other PP for all photos.

This test is done with aspect ratio set to 2/3, F2.0, 1/8sec

cling_oly_wcon
cling_oly_wcon.jpg

cling_oly_wcon_middle_left
cling_oly_wcon_ML.jpg

cling_oly_wcon_top_left
cling_oly_wcon_TL.jpg

Last edited:
This test is done with aspect ratio set to 2/3, F2.0, 1/8sec

cling_test
cling_test.jpg

cling_test_top_left
cling_test_TL.jpg

cling_test_middle_left
cling_test_ML.jpg

Last edited:
This test is done with aspect ratio set to 2/3, F8.0, 2sec

wall_oly_wcon
wall_oly_wcon.jpg

wall_oly_wcon_top_left
wall_oly_wcon_TL.jpg

wall_oly_wcon_middle_left
wall_oly_wcon_ML.jpg

Last edited:
This test is done with aspect ratio set to 2/3, F8.0, 2sec

wall_test
wall_test.jpg

wall_test_top_left
wall_test_TL.jpg

wall_test_middle_left
wall_test_ML.jpg

Last edited:
This was taken with aspect ratio of 16:9 with 3rd party Emolux adaptor, 52 - 55 step up ring, oly 0.7 wcon.

Extreme left is Penny Black Pub, extreme right is Victoria Clock Tower.

F8.0, 1/125sec.

Boat_Quay2.jpg

Last edited:
Although there's vignetting, I would say that the corners of the pics are still reasonably sharp...

Actually, if you change the aspect ratio to 16:9, it's even wide but have to forgo the height. Have tested the function "conversion" setting inside the cam, seem like it does not performance better when that setting was trun off for this mini test.

Last edited:
So there is a difference when we switch on or off for the conversion mode. Where did you get the wide angle len from?

Me and my friend (denniskee) did a test with the conversion "on" and "off" using the 3rd party wide con, seem like when set to "on", the pic seem soft compare to "off" setting. Will upload some sample pic on the later thread. For the mean time, you can refer to his thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477934&highlight=wide+angle+converter for more information on some Wide con.

We are using the Olympus 0.7x wide con

Last edited:
Saw the thread you mentioned. In my opinion, it seems like the Olympus 0.7 wide con has better quality.

Actually it does. Compare to another wide con "Digital king" i use to have.

(denniskee here, using peterpan1975's account cause mine gallery full house liao)
Testing LX3's IR, with Oly 0.7xwcon & Hoya R72 filter, CWB green leaf under sun

PanaIR-Test-f2.jpg

ISO 80, f2

PanaIR-Test-f8.jpg

ISO 80, f8

Last edited:
WCON-Compensation-Test

Testing of the wide con compensation function. Manual focus on the 7/11 bag. Aperture of f4 was used.
WCON-Compensation-Test.jpg

WCON-Compensation-OFF
WCON-Compensation-OFF-Centre.jpg

WCON-Compensation-ON-Centre
WCON-Compensation-ON-Centre.jpg

WCON-Compensation-OFF-7/11
WCON-Compensation-OFF-711.jpg

WCON-Cmpensation-ON-7/11
WCON-Cmpensation-ON-711.jpg

Last edited:
WCON-Compensation-OFF-OUT
WCON-Compensation-OFF-OUT.jpg

WCON-Compensation-ON-OUT
WCON-Compensation-ON-OUT.jpg

WCON-Compensation-OFF-MR
WCON-Compensation-OFF-MR.jpg

WCON-Compensation-ON-MR
WCON-Compensation-on-MR.jpg

Looking at this test, Peterpan1975 & me might have made a mistake of not using manual focusing. under low light condition (coffee shop infront of BenPhoto at peninsula), with the wide con attached, it blocks the AF asist light, so the 2 photo we took than may have different focusing distant, resulting in what we thought is the result.

Last edited:
does anyone has the panasonic wide convertor c/w adaptor tube? is it possible to meet up to do a small comparison between using the original & 3rd party?

alamak, really nobody buy the original ah?:(

too bad, those who has the Panasonic DMW-LW46 original wide con doesnt want to contribute,:dunno:

pls see this site review for the LUMIX DMC-LX3 with DMW-LW46 original wide con.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2008/09/03/9133.html

what i can see, though not a direct side by side comparison :

1) there is no vignetting when using DMW-LW46 as compare to Oly 0.7x wcon. Given the fact that LW46 is 0.75x conversion, resulting in a minimum of 5degree tighter in diagonal angle of view, so if one crop the image taken with Oly 0.7x wcon to one that has the same angle of view, result may be very similar in both cases.
2) the corner suffers similar degree of image degrading as the Oly 0.7x wcon.
3) not sure how much the in camera WCON-Compensation affect the image quality since this site didnt do a comparison. all images shot were taken with the compensation turn on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.