Panasonic LX3 of F100 fd? which should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Which should I get? Panasonic LX3 of F100 fd? My main concern is low light performance, please give comments.

Which should I get? Panasonic LX3 of F100 fd? My main concern is low light performance, please give comments.

LX3

Go to Pana sub-forum and get yourself poisoned...... :bigeyes:

Went to the pana forum which was where I was attracted to the LX3 . Looks good. Price wise much higher than the F100fd and optical zoom lower than it as well. besides low light performance, Any body knows how the focusing speed for both is like?

tried briefly the lx3, focusing is pretty fast, at least faster than my old f31fd. :thumbsup:
price wise, lx3 can be gotten at about 100-150 higher than f31fd, but definitely worth it for the fast lens, 4mm wider and manual control. :thumbsup:

tried briefly the lx3, focusing is pretty fast, at least faster than my old f31fd. :thumbsup:
price wise, lx3 can be gotten at about 100-150 higher than f31fd, but definitely worth it for the fast lens, 4mm wider and manual control. :thumbsup:

Agree with that:thumbsup:

F31fd is the reigning low light king, has it been dethroned?
How does the LX3 match up against F100fd ?

F31fd is the reigning low light king, has it been dethroned?
How does the LX3 match up against F100fd ?
shooting low light depends on alot of factor... not just sensor high-iso ability, but also how wide ur lens can open up. In this case the lx3 is able to go from f2-2.8 thruout the 24-60mm range which easily 1stop or more better than the fuji (f3.3-5.1), the stabiliser from the pana also seems a little more effective than the sensor-shift type stabiliser from fuji. Last but not least, the lx3 is using a really good Leica optic. overrall, lx3 might not surpass the f100fd in terms of shooting at night, but its definitely on par or close. only few pros i see of f100fd have over the lx3 is probably the price, weight/size and of cos longer focal length of 140.

Last edited:
There isn't a single compact camera in the market that can come close to
the night shots of the fujifilm F series camera... not even Leica D-lux 4 :)
Thats my take....

Comparing panasonic with fujifilm f31fd, the details of high ISO shots from Fuji is far more superior. But the fast lens in pana makes it really attractive.

There isn't a single compact camera in the market that can come close to
the night shots of the fujifilm F series camera... not even Leica D-lux 4 :)
Thats my take....

Depends on what you are comparing. If you look mainly at sensor noise under the same settings then yes, that statement is very likely true, but if you consider other factors, such as aperture, speed of focus, focal length + aspect ratio, shooting modes, image stabilization, ease of settings etc then the LX3/D-Lux 4 is a lot more attractive.

I owned the F100fd and then recently switched to LX3. The LX3 is definitely an easier and enjoyable camera to use for night shoots (and most other shooting conditins). Back to sensor noise, if you have to use ISO400 on F100fd for a particular situation but the supporting features on the LX3 allows you to use ISO100 then the sensor noise concerns are greatly eliminated.

Lens wise, both are really sharp.

You can check out my recent LX3 shots here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507437

The combination of f/2 and IS helped capture very clear handheld shots. The day time shots are taken from within a moving taxi, and the night shots are mostly taken handheld. Camera settings were ISO100 and aperture priority mode. Anotherthing very impressive about the LX3 is the metering and WB. All but the last 2 night shots are straight from camera. I don't believe I could have captured those with the F100fd.

Another feature of the LX3 worth mentioning is the lens distortion correction that is built in to the JPEG convertion engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.