Panasonic LX100 preview and review

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
Clubsnap just got our hands on a pre-production unit of the just announced Panasonic LX100

The build quality feels top notch with build in side grip and EVF but no pop up flash

Lens barrel has adjustments for f stops , focus ring , picture format and focus modes

Back of camera ... Apart from usual functions and video button has buttons fir AEL , 3 (yes THREE) customizable Fn buttons AND Wifi button

Firmware is pre-production 0.2 so don't count on out of camera images until the proper firmware is ready

Following are images of various areas of the camera

Note: Apologies for so much dust flying around on my desk..... i was in such a hurry to get the images up that I did not clean off the dust specks .... my bad

Last edited:
zzcam.jpg

topdeck.jpg

top_deck_lying_down.jpg

hood_open.jpg

some size comparison vs my passport and iphone 4s

s5ze1.jpg

size2.jpg

yes no less than 3 (yes THREE) Function (Fn) buttons to allow for customized favorite functions
Note the WIFI too
rear7.jpg

Notice the "FILTER" button next to the shutter release....YES you get immediate access to Panasonic's array of fun Art Filters which include Monochrome
Dynamic Monochrome
Rough Monochrome
Silky Monochrome
Impressive Art
High Dynamic
Cross Process
Toy Effect
Toy Pop Bleach Bypass
Minature Effect
Soft Focus Fantasy
Star Filter
One Point Color
Sunshine
No Effect
Retro
Old Days
Sepia
High Key
Low Key

yes no less than 4 types of Monochrome effects and 3 Toy/Minature effects
topdeck.jpg

Last edited:
Good news... Panasonic made a Ricoh-type pop-out lens hood that some of us had to buy for the earlier LX models..... for the LX100, Panasonic has made one and engineered it into the lens barrel so no mods need to be done. Sold Seperately (NOTE: this is sold seperately by Panasonic and does NOT come free with the camera unfortunately. Clubsnap wrongly thought it came with the camera because it was packed together with the camera. )

Here is the video clip on how easy it is to install this

[video=youtube_share;w-PCx6dRihc]http://youtu.be/w-PCx6dRihc[/video]

Last edited:
Additional notes:

1. the WIFI on the back of the camera BETWEEN Fn2 and FN3 buttons is a blue LED bulb and NOT a part of the Fn buttons. When reviewing an image in Play mode, a touch of the BOTTOM button on the dial will generate a request by camera if you want to transfer the viewed image thru WIfi. See video below for demo

2. Repeating Again.... the pop-up lens cap DOES NOT come bundled with the LX100... it is Panasonic LX100 dedicated and SOLD seperately

notice that once I choose YES to WII, the blue LED light between the Fn2 and Fn3 buttons turn on
[video=youtube_share;TLdDPwqh4j8]http://youtu.be/TLdDPwqh4j8[/video]

Last edited:
looks good!!

because the camera is not yet loaded with the latest OS firmware we have been asked not to put up any images out of this camera as it would give a distorted inaccurate account of its output capabilities

My personal hunch is that output should be very decent given
1. larger sensor size (4/3) which is 1.5 to 3X larger than cameras in a similar class and
2. a very sweet Leica lens, a Summilux no less rather than an Elmarit or Summicron based zoom

Following are official launch images from Panasonic
There are both Black and Silver versions

xx_front_black.jpg

xx_silver_front1.jpg

xx_rear_dead_on.jpg

xx_silver_rear_dead_on.jpg

Last edited:
ah.... i was hoping to see some sample images from the camera to help with the purchasing decision.....

too bad about the non-finalized OS....

perhaps you could describe to us the IQ from the lens/sensor combination compared to say a LX7 and a regular M4/3 interchangable lens camera.

is the step up from LX7 with a bigger sensor readily noticeable, and is the slight crop from a usual m4/3 sensor noticeable as a slight step down in not using the full sensor area?

How is the EVF comparead to say a GX7 or OMD EM5?

no comments?

Aiyoh brother, ha ha ha give me a break lah ..... this is a preview and I have a regular full time job which has nothing to do with Photography lol :)

Give me a few days to actually shoot with the LX100 .... results will be inconclusive because latest OS not loaded

But yes technically the difference in sensor size eg from LX7 to LX100 , all other things being equal (which are not on a few fronts) will tell (we talking sensor size NOT image/file size )

Lets refresh the specs ....
LX3 and LX5 sensor 1/1.63"
LX7 sensor 1/1.7"
LX100 sensor 4/3

In graphic form pulled from Wiki
Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_2014.png

1. by sheer size difference alone, a larger sized sensor will record more data from light falling on it

2. on the same token , larger sensor sizes will produce images with less noise and improved dynamic range among others

3. sheer size difference of sensor alone, all other things being equal, you're able to produce details better on a larger sensor.... i.e. the SAME 10mb of data captured on a smaller sensor will produce output different from that SAME 10mp captured on a larger sized sensor

4. other differences like DoF , lens designs and processing algos to compensate play a part

Anyway , this will lead to technical discussions on the merits, pros/cons which can be discussed elsewhere in an appropriate section of the forum

I also got the pre-production unit with very basic 0.2 ver OS which is not even 1.0...

Will check with Panasonic again if I can share output images from this camera.... kool?

Last edited:
Latest update..... ANOTHER LX100 ..... this time one thats loaded with the intended release software packaged in the camera for consumers globally.... will be collected on Thurs 2 Oct tomorrow

A seperate review thread will be started with images shot with THAT unit

Latest update..... ANOTHER LX100 ..... this time one thats loaded with the intended release software packaged in the camera for consumers globally.... will be collected on Thurs 2 Oct tomorrow

wee any idea how much it will go for?

great news ed!

thanks for the replies to the previous questions as well :) not rushing you la hehe... waited almost 2 days without reply b4 posting a follow up question :p

just curious for the first hand user experience and information rather than the "PR" preview descriptions from most of the popular review sites so far.

most users want to know how much of a step up it is from the good large sensor compacts (rx100, lx7, x10-30 etc) and how much of a step down it is from m4/3 IQ hehe....

Last edited: