Panasonic Lumix GX9

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
This is the third generation of Panasonic Lumix GX7
  • Lumix GX7
  • Lumix GX7 Mark II (in Japan) aka GX85 (in Sg)
  • Lumix GX7 Mark III (in Japan) aka GX9 (in Sg)

The new Panasonic Lumix GX9 debut.

Last edited:

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Some highlights of G9 extracted from Lumixgexperience.Panasonic :

This is very much a GX camera, offering advanced and sophisticated levels of control and functionality in a compact interchangeable-lens body. It is a good deal smaller than the GX8 and I think that will appeal to a lot of people. There will also be those who bemoan the shrinkage from the GX8’s lovable form, but with a few hours use I suspect they will come around to the design and appreciate the more portable and discrete characteristics.

The camera is actually pocketable for those with normal outdoor coats, and its smaller form makes it a camera much more likely to be taken out at every opportunity than the GX8 is. As much as I love the GX8 it often has to stay at home while the GX800 accompanies me on evenings out. This new model sits somewhere between the GX8 and the GX800, and is actually exactly right for many occasions. The smaller body and reduced grip make it less suitable for use with long lenses, but Panasonic will introduce an accessory grip DMW-HGR2 that will make handling front-heavy set-ups more comfortable.

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Some physical comparison taken from Lumixgexperience.Panasonic :

Oct 23, 2005
I hope this gets released in Singapore soon. I have a trip coming up at the end of March and I am considering this as a possible upgrade for my aging E-M5.

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
I hope this gets released in Singapore soon. I have a trip coming up at the end of March and I am considering this as a possible upgrade for my aging E-M5.
It is great that you have considered GX9 as replacement for your aging E-M5.
Unfortunately, it will be released in US on 1st April 2018. It will be available in Sg local retailer in June/July 2018.

I suggest that you keep your E-M5 until June/July 2018, and it's worth to wait. ;)

Oct 23, 2005
It is great that you have considered GX9 as replacement for your aging E-M5.
Unfortunately, it will be released in US on 1st April 2018. It will be available in Sg local retailer in June/July 2018.

I suggest that you keep your E-M5 until June/July 2018, and it's worth to wait. ;)
Oh... darn. I am already getting distracted by the Sony A7iii... haha

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Please see the video clip below to see the capability of the Lumix GX9 aka GX7 Mark III for street fashion photography!

(It would be quite inconvenient if you used 1DX or D5)

[vid]kXlGRzT9k0Q[/vid]

Oct 23, 2005
I finally upgraded my Olympus EM-5 to a GX9. I am now looking for a screen protector. Does anyone know where I can get one?

skf

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
I finally upgraded my Olympus EM-5 to a GX9. I am now looking for a screen protector. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Normally, I get my screen protectors off Ebay sellers who are either Hong Kong or China.

I did not know it is available already.
Did you get the body only or kit set? If kit, what lens - 12-32 or Panasonic 12-60?
Mind sharing the price here or via PM? Thanks

Oct 23, 2005
Normally, I get my screen protectors off Ebay sellers who are either Hong Kong or China.

I did not know it is available already.
Did you get the body only or kit set? If kit, what lens - 12-32 or Panasonic 12-60?
Mind sharing the price here or via PM? Thanks
I don't think there is a body-only option. It comes with the 12-32 pancake. Let me PM you the price.

skf

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the information.

Its strange that Panasonic SG still did not bring in the Panasonic12-60 kit lens whether with the G9 or GX9. Thankfully, I got my copy online :cool:

Oct 23, 2005
I am glad it came with the 12-32 actually. I already have the 12-35 and 14-140 so I prefer the pancake zoom for situations where I just want to travel light.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2005
I normally get my screen protectors from www. protectionfilms24.com. Very lasting glass type thin film-like protector. I will normally get this kind:
http://www.protectionfilms24.com/ar...tor-clear-panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9-2733208.html
Thanks @felixcat8888. I ordered a set of two pieces from some random store on eBay. It was cheap enough so the risk is minimal. I am still learning to use the camera as there are a lot more features compared with my EM-5. Some quick likes and dislikes:

Nice OOB JPEGs - I had a G1 once and hated it
Very nice monochrome modes
Lots of features - 4k photo, post focus, focus stacking, wifi, bluetooth - many which are not available on my EM-5
Overall size and build suits my usage, over a G9 which I was considering
Price - it is half the price of a G9 and includes a 12-32 kit lens

Dislikes:
Viewfinder - I find it a bit small and difficult to see with glasses, and this is coming from an EM-5
Grip - I wish the grip was a little bigger, again, this is coming from an EM-5. I will likely get the optional grip once it is available
No weather sealing - I don't usually take photos out in the rain but no weather sealing means I have to be a lot more careful

Hope to learn from others who are also using the GX9 here. It is very quiet here nowadays.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
@iguoh

Thank you for the short summary of the GX9. Had the GX8 for about a month which I bought from another CSer and just sold to another m43 user who now has 4 bodies. Can you pm me the price and where you got the GX9 from? Need something smaller than the EM5II for family holiday.

Edit: I have decided to use the EM5II instead, paired with the Oly 12-40.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2005
@iguoh

Thank you for the short summary of the GX9. Had the GX8 for about a month which I bought from another CSer and just sold to another m43 user who now has 4 bodies. Can you pm me the price and where you got the GX9 from? Need something smaller than the EM5II for family holiday.

Edit: I have decided to use the EM5II instead, paired with the Oly 12-40.
I just PMed you the price. I really do not like the EVF. I find the EVF on my 5-year old EM-5 to be even better, oddly enough. I will also add another dislike which is the battery life.

On the size, the GX9 is not going to be smaller than the EM-5ii. In fact, I think it is slightly bigger.

Oct 23, 2005
I will also add another like which I missed earlier: the built-in flash. I am usually too lazy to bring along the small flash attachment with my EM-5 and would miss opportunities when I need a fill flash. Having one built-in is definitely a plus for me.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
I just PMed you the price. I really do not like the EVF. I find the EVF on my 5-year old EM-5 to be even better, oddly enough. I will also add another dislike which is the battery life.

On the size, the GX9 is not going to be smaller than the EM-5ii. In fact, I think it is slightly bigger.
I went over to SLR R over the last weekend and found it to be bigger too. That was why I edited to say I would stick with the E5II.

Oct 23, 2005
It sure is quiet around here these days. Are there any fellow GX9 owners out there? I am learning more about the camera and hope to exchange notes. One question I have is on the iDynamic and iResolution settings. The default settings for both are off. When would one turn it on?

Top Bottom