Panasonic Lumix G9

Oh, you have both now? I am also considering the GX9 and it looks to be pretty much the same as the GX85 size wise. I am mostly a holiday photographer and maybe will use it for events with family and friends. As such, I think the G9 may be a bit of an overkill. It would be interesting to learn from your experience using both the GX85 and the G9.

I wish I already got the G9, but there was a miscomm with a local store so it's unfortunately still not with me. I did however, get to play with it at the store so consider my last post an initial feel lol.

For me, my gx85 is pretty much my go-to camera for holidays at first-time destinations. I may or may not bring the G9 for subsequent visits, depending on how safe I feel the place is and if there's a need to (Japan is definitely a must haha!).

The G9 primary use would be for mtb events that I often cover; Can't tell you how many times I got frustrated at not being able to tilt the screen at a low-angle, portrait mode.

Well, hello there! :D

$20180223_153027_HDR.jpg

.. and no, my GX85 isn't floating. There's a PD plate attached :sweat:

Just saw the weight (658g with battery) and size of it, it's similar to Fuji XH1...really mid range DSLR :eek: flagships mirrorless are getting heavier these days.

Talking about X-H1, their revolution is over ! :confused:

mirrorless-cameras-keep-getting-bigger-Fuji-X-H1-1.jpg

Ironically many mirrorless camera bodies are getting bigger when more features are packed into it..

I guess innovation still can't beat physics..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Share some thoughts too pls. Did u get with the kit PL12-60?

I bought the G9 body-only as I already have the PL12-60 lens. Unfortunately I'm on night shifts this weekend, so I won't get to properly play with it for a while. I'll be bringing it for my trip to Xian this coming Tues though.

A surprise for me however, when comparing the G9+PL25 against the GX85+PL15, is that the G9 combo felt lighter and more comfortable if holding/shooting 1-handed. Depending on your wrist strength, the G9 will remind you of its weight eventually though :bsmilie:

Where the GX85 can be carried around with a wrist strap, I would reach for the neck strap if shooting all day for the G9.

Another point I read often on another forum is about the shutter being like a hair trigger. I agree that it requires very little force, but I never had any misfire while testing with my subjects at home lol. YMMV, but I really like it.

Reactions: wonglp
Hello all! I'm pretty new to the Micro 4/3 world, but G9 looks really great! I would like to ask the Micro 4/3 masters here whether it's a worthy deal to grab Leica 12-60 2.8-4 as a kit? Or are there suitable lenses that I should consider? :) Thanks!

Ironically many mirrorless camera bodies are getting bigger when more features are packed into it..

I guess innovation still can't beat physics..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were just about physics then similar FF bodies with similar innovation should be even larger? But when the features are quite similar, and the m43 body ends up larger than FF, it's kinda baffling. That said, I personally don't mind larger bodies due to better ergonomics. Really enjoyed the GH4. Wonder if this 'upsizing' is to match up to typical mass consumer perceptions that smaller bodies = less pro/expensive/serious... Like the old megapixel race, larger number = better. End up the key differentiator for size/weight is mainly the glass, which to be fair, can be quite significant depending on what one uses ;p

6c2JmGD.png

4FNnGZi.png

Panasonic Lumix DC G9 is 8% (10 mm) wider and 2% (1.7 mm) taller than Sony Alpha A9.
Panasonic Lumix DC G9 is 45% (28.6 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha A9.
Panasonic Lumix DC G9 [658 g] weights 2% (15 grams) less than Sony Alpha A9 [673 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm pretty new to the Micro 4/3 world, but G9 looks really great! I would like to ask the Micro 4/3 masters here whether it's a worthy deal to grab Leica 12-60 2.8-4 as a kit? Or are there suitable lenses that I should consider? :) Thanks!

It depends on what you like to shoot. Once you enter the micro 4/3 world, there are a range of legendary primes you should consider as well. Look for them second hand and snag it when you see a good deal. As for the kit deal, it depends on how much more expensive it is. If I could get 3 second hand primes for the same price, I would. But that's the way I like to shoot. The zoom may be more convenient for you so again it depends on your preference.

If it were just about physics then similar FF bodies with similar innovation should be even larger? But when the features are quite similar, and the m43 body ends up larger than FF, it's kinda baffling. That said, I personally don't mind larger bodies due to better ergonomics. Really enjoyed the GH4. Wonder if this 'upsizing' is to match up to typical mass consumer perceptions that smaller bodies = less pro/expensive/serious... Like the old megapixel race, larger number = better. End up the key differentiator for size/weight is mainly the glass, which to be fair, can be quite significant depending on what one uses ;p

I think it's part of Panasonic marketing strategy. For the G9, they are trying to attract the DSLR users esp the mid-range APSC shooters who want good image quality, high end video capability and DSLR ergonomics (esp with that LCD review panel on top). If they want a lighter body for portability, the newly released GX9 covers that. Being a DSLR shooter, I am excited by the G9. I would get it, except I am waiting to see the Nikon mirrorless offering later this year (rumoured).

It depends on what you like to shoot. Once you enter the micro 4/3 world, there are a range of legendary primes you should consider as well. Look for them second hand and snag it when you see a good deal. As for the kit deal, it depends on how much more expensive it is. If I could get 3 second hand primes for the same price, I would. But that's the way I like to shoot. The zoom may be more convenient for you so again it depends on your preference.

Thank you taking the time to share your insight! :) Hmm what are the legendary primes that I should look out for? Paiseh I've been using Nikon DSLR for the past few years, micro 4/3 world is alien to me :D

I'm a little late in wanting to get the body now everywhere no stock liao.

Arrived back from my trip to Xi'an a couple days back, so finally found the time to upload some pics taken with the G9.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a professional photog by any means. Heck, I only just started shooting with a non-phone camera last year with a GX85)

https://flic.kr/s/aHskucgh5B

Gotta say I'm especially happy with the 5s exposure image, as I did it handheld with no support, with naturally shaky hands. Not exactly pinpoint sharp, but good enough for me :)
Lenses used are either with the PL12-60 or P7-14
(On a side note, this forum is kinda a PITA to upload images on :sweat: )

(On a side note, this forum is kinda a PITA to upload images on :sweat: )

Haha, it is. It will be upgraded soon, probably end of March to Apr, and you can post directly the image via mobile or from computer.

Meantime, you can click on share icon on your flickr shot, and select BBCode, and select the size you want to post here. Here's 2 shots I did from your links.

Have fun!

Just bought the G9 yesterday and happy to test it! :)

I can only manage a 1 sec exposure on the 12-60 leica at 12mm, and 1/5 sec at 60mm :( Maybe it's my hands, heh.

For the panasonic pros out there, any recommendation for hotshoe flash? Is the Godox TT685 good? :)

$ForumRunner_20180307_094835.jpg
60mm, 1/5 sec

$ForumRunner_20180307_094845.jpg

12mm 1.3 sec

I bought this set of screen protector from Ebay and it is excellent, exact fit.

300d309.jpg

35mds0n.jpg

I bought the vertical grip and DMW-FL200L flash in Japan when I was there earlier in the mth. I find it cheap... Got tourist discount. I don't really need the flash, but it's cheap, can't resist buying, it might come into useful some day...

DMW-FL200L - $250,
DMW-BGG9 - $355.