Panasonic Lumix G9

Fable

Dec 14, 2011
Singapore
New Panasonic Lumix G9 debut.
$5323879465.jpg

Some highlights of G9 extracted from Dpreview :
"The Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 is a speed-oriented Micro Four Thirds camera. It features a 20.3MP CMOS sensor, in-body image stabilization capable of up to 6.5 stops of shake reduction and an updated version of the company's Depth from Defocus AF system.

The camera can shoot continuously at up to 20 fps with continuous AF and 60 fps with single AF using its electronic shutter. A new high resolution mode shifts the sensor in order to create 80MP stills, though its best suited for stationary subjects. The magnesium alloy body is weather-sealed and has a fully articulating touchscreen display and very large and high resolution electronic viewfinder. Ports include HDMI, microphone and headphone, flash sync, USB 3.0 and wired remote.

The G9 has two SD card slots, both of which support high-speed UHS-II media. It captures UHD 4K video at up to 60p / 150Mbps. A high speed mode tops out at 180 fps in Full HD and 60 fps in 4K...."

How much does GH5 cost locally. That’ll be the price guide I think.

If I'm not wrong, it launched at $2.9K and settled around $2.7K some months back. Not sure if it's decreased since. Pretty on par with current US price US$2K.

Using US$1.7K for the G9, maybe this will be around $2.3K at launch, then settle around $2K to $2.1K after some months.

If I'm not wrong, it launched at $2.9K and settled around $2.7K some months back. Not sure if it's decreased since. Pretty on par with current US price US$2K.

Using US$1.7K for the G9, maybe this will be around $2.3K at launch, then settle around $2K to $2.1K after some months.

Good estimate.
Around or sub $2k and I’d probably consider it. After handling it of course but the UI looks good although a tad big.

Good estimate.
Around or sub $2k and I’d probably consider it. After handling it of course but the UI looks good although a tad big.

I am with you. If this goes below $2k, it might just be the upgrade (from my E-M5mk1) I have been waiting for.

Panasonic's Auto ISO functionality

Users can not specify a minimum shutter speed, range or relationship to focal length at which the camera will increase the ISO setting. Exposure Compensation can not be used. will this be a limitation to this camera?

If it sell around 2K +/-, it will put pressure to EM1Mk2.

Last edited:
I am with you. If this goes below $2k, it might just be the upgrade (from my E-M5mk1) I have been waiting for.

Funny enough, EM-5 mk I was my last m43 camera too before my temporary hiatus. I really liked it with the grip extension (but without the vertical part).
I did try quite a few bodies in-between but it didn't quite feel right.
I was sure the E-M5 mk III would be the camera that got me back into m43 but maybe the G9 will do it. Can't wait to try it out.

Panasonic's Auto ISO functionality

Users can not specify a minimum shutter speed, range or relationship to focal length at which the camera will increase the ISO setting. Exposure Compensation can not be used. will this be a limitation to this camera?

Read this thread extension. From the reviewer, it appears auto ISO functionality has been improved to include all those things on the G9. And it appears those auto ISO functionality are now available on the GH5 too with the new firmware.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to post the link to the thread I was referring to.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60375697

Last edited:
Aus RRP pricing at $2499 for body only and $3499 with either 12-35/2.8 or 12-60/2.8-4 kit lenses.
Cheapest pre-order I found is around $2399 body only or $3199 with 12-60 kit but no mentions of free grip whereas another store has it at $2448 body only and $3378 with 12-60 kit but with free grip.

FWIW, as kandinsky mentions GH5 launched at $2900 SGD whereas Aus pricing is $2999 AUD so it appears Lumix gear are a tad cheaper in Sg so his prediction of around $2300 might be pretty accurate.

Looks like it’s shipping in Germany already. Still no word on local shipping dates or even pricing?