Panasonic Lumix: First look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YSLee

Jan 17, 2002
Visit site
The new Panasonic DCs with Leica glass are now on sale, saw them at Alan Photo.

First impressions:
Now, the reason why I have no sample shots from the cameras is because the cameras accept SD cards ONLY. No MMC. I used my 32mb MMC and got a memory card error message. Oh well.

I didn't have a chance to play with them much, but notable things:

The DMC-LC5 has a nice fly by wire focussing ring in front. The problem is that there is no easy way to tell that your shots are in focus, except by the electronic range finder, which kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.

The DMC-LC5 has a really HUGE LCD screen. It's like looking at a video camera's LCD screen. There's even a screen shade for it. The jap lady from Panasonic had the LCD shade on her demo camera.

The DMC-F7 has exposure compensation in 1/4 stops. Not too sure about the DMC-LC5.

The DMC-LC5 can set flash compensation for the built in flash; the hotshoe has the single centre pin only, so it's unlikely there'll be any TTL or semi-TTL capabilites.

The DMC-F7 is really light, unlike an IXUS V, and feels very compact. Powering on the camera is a pain though. First, slide a slider to open up the camera, then use a lot more force to slide it to the ON position.

Both cameras, on first impression, seem to have this me-too feeling about in the market. Response times and shutter lag feel about average, and not counting the image quality, everything seems to have been done before. Using the SD format is both a plus and minus; the shot-to-shot times and continious mode are incredibly fast, however, the price of SD right now could be against them (though I did hear the Singapore Panasonic rep that prices might drop soon).

Anyway, here are some photos of the new cameras:

DMC-LC5-1.jpg

DMC-LC5-2.jpg

DMC-LC5-3.jpg

Check out that HUGE LCD screen!

DMC-F7-1.jpg

DMC-F7-2.jpg

lumix.jpg

Big brother and little brother. Note the 512mb SD cards in the display as well.

thanks for the review, YS. It's a shame that they use SD, but well, it's panasonic. ;)

Aiyar, forgot to post price! DMC-LC5 is about $1290, DMC-F7 is about $710.

me waiting for the Leica version.. unless they give us the advertisement board with the chick on it when we buy one ;)....

Hi,

Can someone explain to me the difference between MMC and SD? What does MMC or SC mean? I thought of getting the DMC-LC5. Will appreciate if anyone has any reviews or feedback! What are the pros and cons of the camera? I read from panasonic website that it's about 1lb. Wonder how it fits on the hand.

kueko

Hi

dpreview's photos of the cameras had that infamous Leica reddot logo in front of the cameras...these don't look like they are from the same batch....

Anyway i passed by Funan Centre just now, and it seems like they are constructing this big booth for the launch of this Leica / Panasonic collaboration effort, with large prints from photos taken by Russell Wong, famous celebrity photographer at the Malaysian Grand Prix. He uses, of course, the Panasonic cameras.......

i even saw an action sequence of race cars which will make u think those cameras can take 9 frames per second :)

Originally posted by Red Dawn

i even saw an action sequence of race cars which will make u think those cameras can take 9 frames per second :)

They take like 5 fps, but for 1s. :p

in my hands this afternoon at the airport duty free shop. It felt very light compared to the canon g2. Despite that, the lcd screen is huge compared to other digital cams and surprisingly the viewfinder was pretty clear.

ed

The Leica version is coming out next month.

Would anyone want to hazard a guess how the LC5 will stack up against the G2?

For the heck of it, Red Dawn and I decided walk into Harvey Norman to try it out yesterday. It's rather funny.

First, the guy brought the camera for us to see. "No batteries" he said.

After playing around for a while, he went to get the box with the batteries. It was dead.

After hestitating for a while more, he opened the box and hooked the the AC Adaptor. Ah, finally.

Loved the big screen. Almost reminds me of the LCD on the Sony Mavica Floppycams. Response is pretty good. AF seemed faster than the other consumer digicams, and pretty quiet too. Build quality is pretty good, with mechanical controls that click nicely into position.

The fly-by-wire MF is rather cute. You turn the ring one way or the other, and when it's in focus, you get a double beep. Neat.

Unfortunately the salesman did not go just one more step further and take out the SD card.... ;p

Regards
CK

wow!! the F7 is really very chiO!! just like ayumi :D

but why nv show the LCD on the F7?
issit the same size as the one on the F5?

how is this cam compared to fuji 2600z?

Originally posted by kueko
Hi,

Can someone explain to me the difference between MMC and SD? What does MMC or SC mean? I thought of getting the DMC-LC5. Will appreciate if anyone has any reviews or feedback! What are the pros and cons of the camera? I read from panasonic website that it's about 1lb. Wonder how it fits on the hand.

kueko
MMC=multimedia card

SD=secure digital

different format of cards
duno wats the diff

i'm actually interested to get the F7 version. how does this stack up against olympus C2040?

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
wats wrong with SD?

Why will you want to pay for something that costs a lot more than CF and has a lot more restrictions (especially when it comes to storing digital music) ? :)

Same thing applies for the "white" Memory Stick.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Why will you want to pay for something that costs a lot more than CF and has a lot more restrictions (especially when it comes to storing digital music) ? :)

Same thing applies for the "white" Memory Stick.

Regards
CK

true, that time i got my G1, my dad was saying, 'aiyah, get the Sony, so big zoom lens, very shiok, Carl Zeiss somemore.' but he didn't know the price of the MS.

actually the only thing that draws me to the Lumix is Ayumi!

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
wow!! the F7 is really very chiO!! just like ayumi :D

but why nv show the LCD on the F7?
issit the same size as the one on the F5?

how is this cam compared to fuji 2600z?

yah lor, that's what i'm thinking too! wonder how much they paying her!

Status
Not open for further replies.