Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4-6.3

Let me check with them, as I understand there's a worldwide shortage last I heard.

After making an inquiry at Panasonic while I was collecting some freebies on Monday, I got a call back yesterday from someone there who told me the lens will be introduced in Singapore in "early July."

Impatient me promptly ordered a copy from a USA store, due to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

Congrats, hope you can show some of your shots taken with the lens here.

Yen at all time high.... sigh!

After making an inquiry at Panasonic while I was collecting some freebies on Monday, I got a call back yesterday from someone there who told me the lens will be introduced in Singapore in "early July."

Nice! Looking forward to get a copy when it's here

Was told early July as well. No confirmed prices yet.

A couple of shots from the 100-400mm, lightly cropped by me, degraded considerably by Photobucket . . .

IQ with the GX8 is substantially better than what can be shared here.

obsb_zpstjx48pvi.jpg

keet_zpsvuoz8uv0.jpg

A couple of shots from the 100-400mm, lightly cropped by me, degraded considerably by Photobucket . . .

IQ with the GX8 is substantially better than what can be shared here.
Thanks for sharing. Looks reasonably good don't mind me asking what is the distance and the f stop like for this 2 pics

#1: 1/400 at f/6.3, ISO 1250, 1-2 meters

#2: 1/400 at f/6.3, ISO 640, 4-5 meters

On the GX8 can record critically sharp images consistently at 1/60, some shots critically sharp even at 1/15.

Hi esoterica

Can you share any 'deterioration' from 300 mm to 400mm?

Thank you

Hi Chia,

Of the several hundred shots I've taken with this lens so far, all but a very few were shot at 400mm. Having seen some charts that claimed the lens to be sharper at 300mm than at 400mm, I took a few comparison shots on some known subject matter. I honestly couldn't seen any difference, even when viewed at 200% on a retina display. Edges are crisp at 100%, not so much at 200%; but on a normal display (e.g. 135dpi) the edges on a properly-focused shot at 100% magnification would probably appear crisp.

Subjectively, it appears to be on par with the Canon 100-400mm II at the long end, which is near-prime quality in a zoom. Its main limitations are external: the inherent qualities of even a good m43 sensor, magnification of any atmospheric matter, and the ability of the user to handle that focal length.

Among its many positives are its Leica color and microcontrast; spectacular stabilization; excellent build quality; and its light weight (a hair under 1.5kg when paired with the GX8 (with hood, minus cap and strap).

Hi esoterica

Can you share any 'deterioration' from 300 mm to 400mm?

Thank you

Thank you Rob.

Coming from you, it is another plus point between this and the Oly 300 mm pro. I am very sold on the Oly IBIS but the price of entry for the Oly 300 mm is really steep. The weight and price are other plus points to the Pana.
Appreciate your sharing on this.

#1: 1/400 at f/6.3, ISO 1250, 1-2 meters

#2: 1/400 at f/6.3, ISO 640, 4-5 meters

On the GX8 can record critically sharp images consistently at 1/60, some shots critically sharp even at 1/15.

Thanks again,

jus heard it has made its appearance in the shops today its in the region of $2,100 plus......

Thanks again,

jus heard it has made its appearance in the shops today its in the region of $2,100 plus......

That's cheap compare to the price in Indonesia, around $2,675 SGD

Saw on TK foto fb page that this lens has arrived at their stall.

Dunno. Didnt ask. Prob u can call to enquire?

LOL.. It tickles me somewhat whenever I see people who prefer to ask about pricing here and wait an unspecified amount of time rather than pick up the phone and call the shops to get a faster and more 'zhun' answer.

Reactions: bousozoku
LOL.. It tickles me somewhat whenever I see people who prefer to ask about pricing here and wait an unspecified amount of time rather than pick up the phone and call the shops to get a faster and more 'zhun' answer.

True but some members :embrass: may not be located in SG to make such a call. :D

True but some members :embrass: may not be located in SG to make such a call. :D

Fair point bro. I would still imagine those who need a quick price quote should still consider making the overseas call just to be sure. What's a few tens of cents compared to a big ticket purchase? But I digress.

Point taken. :)