Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4-6.3

For me, the problem will be with stopping motion instead of hand shaking

Precisely.
Even if OIS or dual IS affords you 3+ stops, realistically you'd probably still want to be 1/400s and faster for subject motion.

But having done some quick calculations, it's really only 1+ stop or so behind eg. a D7200/D500 with 200-500/5.6 lens at 800mm equiv, although the IQ of the D500 is yet to be verified. So for the weight and bulk saving its not too bad actually.
Cost and focus performance of the relative systems is a different issue though. We also don't know how good the 100-400 is wide open @400mm although I presume it should be pretty good.

Of some concern is f6.3 on the 400mm end which would necessitate shutter speeds in excess of 1/800s. With IS you'd be back into the IS-effective shutter speed ranges but it's still not a lot of light reaching the sensor.
You'd frequently be pushing the ISO shooting at the long end of this lens I reckon.

Agreed with the last point. Not sure where m43 is in terms of high ISO capabilities nowadays. Worth a more detailed look.

Wrong system to be lookin at, especially if you want clean images at high ISOs

Someone might as well pass on the D7200. I haven't had much luck with it. It may be marginally better but the GH4 (and GX8 and usually, the E-M1) works in low light and the D7200 wants me to switch to a black and white high ISO mode or manual in order to work.

Really? Anyway, the way I see it, the E-M1 and D3 are similar to me, and if the E-M1 performs that way, it's good enough for me

Someone might as well pass on the D7200. I haven't had much luck with it. It may be marginally better but the GH4 (and GX8 and usually, the E-M1) works in low light and the D7200 wants me to switch to a black and white high ISO mode or manual in order to work.

Just want to clarify. What are you saying doesn't work on the D7200 that does on the GH4, GX8 and E-M1? Did you mean the AF in low light?

Just want to clarify. What are you saying doesn't work on the D7200 that does on the GH4, GX8 and E-M1? Did you mean the AF in low light?

The AF doesn't work in low light, for sure, but then, most of the time, it displays red, even in decent light but will take a photo. The camera would just balk at doing much of anything unless it had good (daytime) light. It's a good body in great light but I can't see how the image quality is better in low light, if it refuses to take photos.

In the darkest situations, the GH4 and GX8 work, since AF going down to EV -4, but the E-M1 generally works also in all but the darkest situations.

The AF doesn't work in low light, for sure, but then, most of the time, it displays red, even in decent light but will take a photo. The camera would just balk at doing much of anything unless it had good (daytime) light. It's a good body in great light but I can't see how the image quality is better in low light, if it refuses to take photos.

In the darkest situations, the GH4 and GX8 work, since AF going down to EV -4, but the E-M1 generally works also in all but the darkest situations.

I'm still a little confused given the D7200 detects down to -3EV, one stop off GH4 and GX8 on paper.
What is displaying red? Are you talking about D7200 CDAF in live view where the AF box displays red when it is unable to achieve focus?
Otherwise what does switching to BW and high ISO have to do with PDAF, which is the D7200's primary method of AF.

I'm still a little confused given the D7200 detects down to -3EV, one stop off GH4 and GX8 on paper.
What is displaying red? Are you talking about D7200 CDAF in live view where the AF box displays red when it is unable to achieve focus?
Otherwise what does switching to BW and high ISO have to do with PDAF, which is the D7200's primary method of AF.

I don't use Live View on the D7200 at all. The AF points are displayed in red when it can't lock focus, sorry.

As far as the high ISO modes, I don't know why the body becomes responsive then--or why the GH4 was reading a situation as ISO 400 and the D7200 was reading it as 14,400.

I don't use Live View on the D7200 at all. The AF points are displayed in red when it can't lock focus, sorry.

As far as the high ISO modes, I don't know why the body becomes responsive then--or why the GH4 was reading a situation as ISO 400 and the D7200 was reading it as 14,400.

'Tis odd if we're talking PDAF. But this might be going a bit off topic so let's leave it here for now. But sorry you had those experiences with the D7200 but it sounds quite uncharacteristic of the AF module.

Currently waiting for this in Singapore market. Planning to pair it with Lumix GX8

Any update on the date that this lens reaching Singapore ? Like to feel it and test shoot at 400mm before purchasing decision for my GX8.

Does anyone hear of any news for this lens availability in SG?

Does anyone hear of any news for this lens availability in SG?

There's a worldwide shortage for this lens. Due to some stringent quality checks required. Not sure when it will be available.

Anyone spotted this lens in local stores yet?

Anyone have any news on the release date here in Singapore. Have seen a lot of pictures posted by our overseas u43 users.

Spotted a 100-400mm at satay by the bay this morning, was told that he bought it in Australia for A$1,700.
hopefully Singapore can match the price or better when it is available here................

Emailed Panasonic Singapore on several occasions and didn't mange to get a reply from them on availability. If they have no intention of bringing it in, I would have bought one online or get the Oly 300mm f/4

If anyone is interested in trying out the lens, Camera Rental Centre has a copy available. I'm not affiliated, but I've also had my eye on this lens or a while and just borrowed it from them for the weekend!

My understanding is that they bought it from overseas.