Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH - Impressions ...

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
Panasonic has introduced a high-speed Leica 15mm (30mm equivalent) f1.7. I managed to get my hands on 1 for a few days thanks to CS.

There are already a slew of great reviews on the web. Specs here, the reviews I’ve seen here.

This thread is really my impressions of this lens, and the images I am able to apply it with. It may also work in similar ways for you, or you may also have a feel of what you can possibly apply it with.

Firstly, I would like to comment on its size. It’s larger than the 14mm f2.5, but in my opinion, reasonable since it’s got a larger aperture. It included a dedicated aperture ring, just like my RF lenses I owned. Is it necessary some questioned? I very much preferred it, a personal choice. In fact, it's a little more damped than my Bokeh King. The apertures increments 1/2 EV. I don't necessary think that's required, but it's a good to have. More control I guess. Of course, if you are using the Zeiss ZM lens (those of you who have experienced using them adapted to your m43s camera bodies), that's 1/3 EV ... even more control. Crazy!

The following image is a reference for you to compare its size against the Bokeh King (35 Summicron f2). On the utmost right is the Bayonet Lens Hood with its rubber cap. Not sure if it’s included in the package or you have to pay for it though.

The Left is Bokeh King, The center is the subject of this thread - the lux 15, and its bayonet mount Lens hood on the right.

Given its 30mm FOV (35mm format equivalent), it reminds me of my past iPhones. It's a focal length I use very often for streets,snaps that interest me,some basic landscapes, some close-ups. Mated with the GM1, it would have been my go-to camera if I bring it along to work (since my phone's camera just won't make it).

Let’s get down to the images instead. Most of them are edited with LR, keeping the FOV very much intact. There are some occasions where I applied a little Nik analog filters.

Here goes …

#1 - Work in Progress

iso200, 1/250s, f2.8

#2 - Still need men

iso400, 1/60s, f4​

Last edited:
Reactions: catchlights
The FOV is a bit tight when you try to squeeze as much buildings into the frame. Still possible, and quite possibly good enough for most purpose. If you need something wider, just get yourself a wide angle zoom or prime lens.

This lens would be a great all-in-one swiss-army equivalent for your regular snaps.

iso200, 1/400s, f4.5

iso200, 1/320s, f5

Last edited:
Street snaps shown here. Great for the occasional street shots. 30mm probably brings the subject a little closer. Doesn't differ much in use (compared to my GR).

iso200, 1/320s, f2.5

iso200, 1/320s, f2.8

Last edited:
GX7 seems to have a tendency to keep it low in ISO. Probably the mode I was using. In this case, I wished I have used a smaller aperture.

#7 - Hazy morning run

iso200, 1/500s, f2.8

#8 - I want!

iso200, 1/320, f1.7, Cropped 16:9... the width is preserved.

Last edited:

#9 - Re-entry

iso1600, 1/60s, f2

#10 - Cottonwool

iso200, 1/80s, f2.8

Last edited:
The occasional close ups with your favourite alley cat, and it's more than adequate! The blow up is in #12. It's plentiful sharp. 1 of the things that keeps coming up in my mind when I review the images.

#11 - Relax

iso 3200, 1/50s, f1.7

#12 - Watery eyes

app. 100% crop

Last edited:

iso200, 1/1250s, f4

iso200, 0.4s, f4

Last edited:

iso200, 5s, f4

iso200, 1/80s, f2.8

Last edited:

iso200, 1/60s, f2.8

iso640, 1/60s, f4

Last edited:
Finally onto some slightly longer exposures. These are tripod mounted images.

iso200, 2.5s, f4.5

iso200, 1s, f5.6

Here's where I want to show you the starburst of this lens. As you can see from the 100% crop (approx.), it's actually quite distinct towards the end.

Starburst from the 15mm

iso200, 1/320s, f5

Last edited:

iso200, 1/500s, f5.6

iso200, 1/80s, f3.2

Last edited:

iso200, 1/2500s, f5.6

iso2000, 1/60s, f2

Last edited:

Converted to Monochrome, iso1250, 1/60s, f2

Like I mentioned earlier, it's capable of close ups not only of your favourite alley cats, but also some of the bigger flowers. Here's a morning glory close up.

is200, 1/1250s, f1.7

Last edited:

iso200, 1/400s, f3.2

iso200, 1/400s, f4.5

Last edited:
These are my 30 images presented with this 30mm FOV equivalent lens. I'll love to be able to "mate" this with a GM1. Oh no ... CBA, and LBA strikes!

NOTE: The images are taken with the Panasonic Leica Summilux 15mm f1.7, and the Panasonic GX7, and all images were taken with Natural colour settings.

Thanks for the review and the samples!

Thank you.

Thanks for your comments. I have used m43s and this has got to be 1 of the nicer lens I had used.

In my opinion ...

Pros
----
# dedicated aperture ring and lots of control with 1/2 EV change.
# Nice heft, not too light, not too heavy too. Size is small enough.
# Comes in Black/Chrome and available now. No special edition (ed) or some limited ed gimmick.
# Wonderful focal length (for me) at close to lux aperture.
# Good enough close-ups
# Sharp, sharp, sharp!!
# Focusing is fast fast fast!
# Quite solidly built. Not much play with the aperture ring (well-damped)
# It can do f1.7, none of its competition can. :p

Cons
----
# Bayonet lens hood requires you to remove a ring on the lens to expose the grooves (that allows the Bayonet mount).
# A tad expensive compared to 14 f2.5 and Oly's 17 f1.8. For the price differential, I cannot tell much of a difference at similar apertures. But that's me.
# Not much of a bokeh, but it's to be expected.

Last edited:
hehe nice review bro, I have a GM1 if you wanna try this small lens on that tiny body!

These are my 30 images presented with this 30mm FOV equivalent lens. I'll love to be able to "mate" this with a GM1. Oh no ... CBA, and LBA strikes!

NOTE: The images are taken with the Panasonic Leica Summilux 15mm f1.7, and the Panasonic GX7, and all images were taken with Natural colour settings.