Panasonic GM5 - "Its So Cuteeeeee...!!!" a hands on review

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
That is about the typical reaction amongst the female colleagues at the office when I handed it around to see what kind of reaction it would elicit

Its definitely more pocketable than the LX100 which is HUGE as the GM5 is an interchangeable lens system while the former is not

Without a doubt, ladies love its small size and the red leatherette (WongLP passed it to me a couple of days back) ... thank God he did not hand over one in hot pink haha

OK while the camera is definitely small (its aout the size of my mouse and narrower than my spectacles) I like it that all buttons and dials are firm and assured without any risk of accidentally tripping anything

The Kit Lens...... its something quite different from its earlier cousins from Panasonic and Olympus. The previous kit lenses you needed to activate an unlock button to extend and retract the lens to ready-to-shoot or ready-to-keep-away .... not with this kit zoom lens on the GM5.... just twist the zoom ring to extend the lens and its immediately ready to go and vice versa when closing it

To toggle between Exposure +/- compensation and f-stop just press that dial to select between the 2

Love the dedicated WIFI button which can be reset to another function if you so wish

OK the weather has been a little hazy but still shot with it a little this evening around Marina Bay betweeen ISO 100 and ISO 1600 with a 2sec timed delay shutter release

At ISO 100
z_iso100_mbs1.jpg

At ISO 1600
z_iso_1600_mbs1.jpg

At ISO 100
z_iso_100_oue1.jpg

At ISO 1600
z_iso_1600_ouw1.jpg

Last edited:
I got a lot of stares when doing street photography, it's either the cuteness or the redness :)

I got a lot of stares when doing street photography, it's either the cuteness or the redness :)

hi can u confirm whether GM5 suffer from the banding under fluorescent light like my GM1?

hi can u confirm whether GM5 suffer from the banding under fluorescent light like my GM1?

hi senser, it does in silent mode (electronic shutter). though I find the GM5 shutter to be quiet enough like most PNS compact(without even going into silent mode), hence I didn't use it unlike GM1 last time. IIRC, GM1 shutter wasn't this quiet.

.... even my own Sony RX100 MkIII suffers from this under esp LED lighting

ok will be taking the camera out tomorrow morning and putting it through its paces....

from this morning
zz_dbs_skyline1.jpg

Last edited:
sharing more images
very tiny bit of purple fringing which is great and barely noticeable to the naked eye

aaa_crane3.jpg

aaa_crane2.jpg

aaa_crane.jpg

aaa_safety.jpg

Last edited:
cant get enough of the Dynamic Monochrome

zoomed in to the maximum on the kit lens..... I have no complaints on the long end of this kit zoom
aaa_marina_bay_zoom_in.jpg

aaa_marina_bay.jpg

aaa_marina_bay_oriental.jpg

aaa_marina_bay2.jpg