Panasonic GH3

garyyyyt

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone waiting for this?

Yes. Rumored inbuilt 80mb/s so might not need to depend on hack. Quality is definitely much better and less plasticky.

Hope they dun hold back and keep technology like canon. If not Sony will rule the indie and budget/semi-pro industry the next 3 years.

Most small time film makers in 2013 will go with either:

Main cam: 5d3 or fs100/700 or BMC or C100
B cam: gh3 or nex5/7, etc.

Cross fingers and we are a few weeks from photokina!

I'm beginner in video taking with DSLR.

I dont know which to get eh! And the wait for the GH3 is killing me!!

Anyone got any cool DSLR rigs?

I heard its not Gona be cheap so u might want to invest on a gh2 first. It's only $700+ second hand and once u r ready, u can move up together with all the micro 4/3 lenses u have so it's an simple transition.

We are starting to move away from the dslr platform as Sony are offering lots of goodies in the coming year in terms of quality that matches dslr and has all the bells and whiskers like nd filter, xlr input, focus peaking, etc.

It's Gona be an awesome year from now til end 2013.

you sound like a prophet.
Incredible LOL!

The GH2 hacking community has just upped the ante with their latest release. Driftwood, whose hack was used as the default patch for the recently concluded Zacuto Shootout, has in collaboration with a few geniuses, come up with a patch that incorporates a 4:4:4 colour matrix. The patch, codenamed "Apocalypse Now", is designed to simulate cinematic filmlike qualities for both sharp (Panasonic AF) and manual lenses. With these hacks, think the GH2's lifespan might just have been prolonged for at least another 6 months despite the release of GH3. Don't forget, the GH3 is also going to cost more than its predecessor, just as GH2 had cost quite a bit more than GH1.

The other thing is Panasonic has been talking about releasing a new version of AVCHD, called AVCHD 2.0. This will be a new HD wrapper, different from the existing AVC structure, and if this were true, then brace yourself for some teething problems as editing technologies try to catch up with the rapid evolution.

Personally, even though i have been a GH2 evangelist for sometime now, i will go ahead and buy a BMC for its ability to do 12bit RAW at below US$3000. 80mbps is nothing after you have seen the great dynamic range that BMC footage carries.

It's an exciting time to be in the film and video industry just to see camera makers try to outdo one another: BMC, Sony FS series, Canon C300, now they have C100. The ensuing price wars can only be great for end users like us.

Last edited:
Black magic just announced a m4/3 version of their camera. This is great news, and makes converts out of staunch GH2 users like me. M4/3 camera that shoots 10 bit 4:2:2 Pro Res or 12 bit Raw footage at under $4000? Where to find? I can now use all my lenses. KOOL

Black magic just announced a m4/3 version of their camera. This is great news, and makes converts out of staunch GH2 users like me. M4/3 camera that shoots 10 bit 4:2:2 Pro Res or 12 bit Raw footage at under $4000? Where to find? I can now use all my lenses. KOOL
What is the model number ?

Where to buy this Black magic model ?

Has this Panasonic GH3 overcome the 30mins continuous recording time ?

The previous Panasonic GH2, see this brochure at Page 10:
http://lumix.panasonic.com.sg/lumixg/pdf/gh2_brochure.pdf
it says continous recording is ONLY 29 mins 59 secs (just like any other DSLR - why can't the most advanced DSLR overcome this limitation ?)

Thanks

It's not a limit of the camera but rather a limitation for tax as anything above 30 mins is considered video camera and is another category in taxation if I'm not wrong.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not a limit of the camera but rather a limitation for tax as anything above 30 mins is considered video camera and is another category in taxation if I'm not wrong.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's the gist of it.

There was news in May about this:

The restriction that limits video recording in digitial cameras to 30 minutes could be abolished if the World Trade Organization's Information Technology Agreement (ITA) is expanded. Several countries, including the USA, have begun informal talks to extend the scope of the ITA to include products that are currently subject to tariffs and duty. At present, digital cameras' video cuts off after 30 minutes to avoid them being classified as video cameras (which attract 5.4% duty because they are considered to be video recorders). If the video cameras are added to the ITA, this distinction would no longer matter. (via Nikkei)

Getting changes made at WTO can be a slow and highly politicized process, but a proposal to the ITA Committee to discuss the issue has been broadly welcomed.

Removing duty on video cameras would allow manufacturers to remove the 29 minute, 59 second limit currently applied to digital cameras. However other limitations, such as the 4Gb limit for single files imposed by the FAT 32 file system used by most cameras, or concerns about circuitry overheating will remain.

30 minute limit on video capture could end if WTO group gets its way: Digital Photography Review

Yeah, that's the gist of it.

There was news in May about this:

Removing duty on video cameras would allow manufacturers to remove the 29 minute, 59 second limit currently applied to digital cameras. However other limitations, such as the 4Gb limit for single files imposed by the FAT 32 file system used by most cameras, or concerns about circuitry overheating will remain.
Why can't the manufacturer name it with two model number say GH2C and GH2V (C for Camrea & V for video) and then pay the 5.4% tax for the GH2V models ?

Thanks

Why can't the manufacturer name it with two model number say GH2C and GH2V (C for Camrea & V for video) and then pay the 5.4% tax for the GH2V models ?

Thanks

Fire email to Panny and ask loh.

Last edited:
Its Launched ... Some details not out yet ...

Heard the focus peaking was a false info ... So sad ... But i think generally, its a good upgrade with 70ish Mb/s without hacking, an awesome screen, headphone jack out, better body.

So far, the footage (ungraded french guy's footage) looks similar to the 5D3 + a tad sharper & doing just as well as FF cameras in low light.

Should be getting it as a B cam to pair with my 5D3 unless the Sony VG900 offers awesome images with only 24 Mb/s. Its gona be a long 2-3 mths wait to see who performs better in the real world ...