Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

Which Camera?

Results are only viewable after voting.

skyymanz

Jun 25, 2009
Hi,

I am looking for a entry system camera. Thinking of getting either GF1 or 550D. Can the expert give me ur view? which is better?

Thanks.

Test both and see which one you like better. I personally prefer the 550D as it is faster and more choice of glasses for more shooting options.

Tried both camera.. all looks good..

Juz that GF1 is very light compare to 550d and have the nice pancake lens.

550d is the regular dslr which got many things to play around and shoot full HD video.

Hard to decide.

my personal preference is 550D

Hi all,

Thanks for the vote. Currently 3 for GF1 and 2 for 550D. Haha.. tought decision.

For GF1 will get the pancake and 14-45mm lens.

For 550d will get the 18-55mm lens. Any other lens like the pancake lens to recommend?

Its definitely GF-1 for me.

The best camea is one that you will be it around to take pics. The usual dslr are too heavy and bulky to carry around daily. With the GF-1 and its pancake len, bringing it around is such a breeze and it also had great picture quality and also its HD video quality. However, its has its cons too. Like no built-in IS and not suitable for sports photography etc. :)

Which is more important to you? Portability or existing range of lenses? Are you a now, now, now kinda person or can you wait?

In my opinion, if you are just starting out and do not mind the lack of lenses for the micro 4/3s now, go for the GF1 and grow with the system. You will be thankful when you go travelling. Lenses will slowly be developed for it as you go along.

If you are a now, now, now kinda person and want to get really serious about all aspects of photography now, then I would advice you to go for the 550D cos all (or almost all) the equipment and features (lenses, accessories, 1080p video etc) are already available. If you can slowly grow with a system, go for the GF1.

So weigh your options and choose the one that suits you more.

Which is more important to you? Portability or existing range of lenses? Are you a now, now, now kinda person or can you wait?

In my opinion, if you are just starting out and do not mind the lack of lenses for the micro 4/3s now, go for the GF1 and grow with the system. You will be thankful when you go travelling. Lenses will slowly be developed for it as you go along.

If you are a now, now, now kinda person and want to get really serious about all aspects of photography now, then I would advice you to go for the 550D cos all (or almost all) the equipment and features (lenses, accessories, 1080p video etc) are already available. If you can slowly grow with a system, go for the GF1.

So weigh your options and choose the one that suits you more.

Hi,

Yup the GF1 have the weight advantage. Its easy to carry. And i will be mainly using it during my travel. The 550D is slightly bulkier but its the regular DSLR which have good IQ.

Do u think in terms of IQ GF1 and 550D is about the same?

Think about the recommended technique for hand-holding the camera steady to get a sharp photo, and then picture yourself doing that with the GF-1.

Hi,
Like all nerds who jump into new product launches after being bombarded by full page ads daily, I bought a GF-1 with almost all the lenses (except the macro and 14-140mm) in Sept last year. I had been a P & S camera user for almost 20 years and suddenly got the photography bug!!

I sold off the GF-1 two weeks ago with the 14-45mm kit lens and bought a brand new (old model) Lumix G-1.

These are my reasons:
1. I do not take videos. The GF-1 has video - the G-1 has no video. They share the same m4/3 sensor.
2. The GF-1 is not small and light -as touted. If you are serious with photography and goes out on photo-shoots with a full complement of lenses and a tripod, I can assure you the total weight is quite a load!!
3. After reading a fair bit on taking creative shots and after attending a photography class, I realised that a flip and tilt LCD is one of the most useful part of a DSLR. It allows you to take shots that are impossible with either VF or fixed LCD. The G-1 has that feature.
4. Presently, the G-1 is the smallest and cheapest m4/3 system camera with LCD & in-built VF. If you like to take video, the new model G-2, which is an upgrade of the G-1 has it.

The lesson I have learnt in camera buying is:
1. Learn the ropes (some photography lessons and literature) first.
2. Decide what you want later. Remember, once you settle for one make and built up the lens population, it will be very costly to change camera make.
3. No company that can manufacture cameras makes a lousy camera. They are different in features only.

Hope the above is not boring.

Regards.
LEW

Think about the recommended technique for hand-holding the camera steady to get a sharp photo, and then picture yourself doing that with the GF-1.

Hi.. dun get wat u mean.. :dunno:

Hi,
Like all nerds who jump into new product launches after being bombarded by full page ads daily, I bought a GF-1 with almost all the lenses (except the macro and 14-140mm) in Sept last year. I had been a P & S camera user for almost 20 years and suddenly got the photography bug!!

I sold off the GF-1 two weeks ago with the 14-45mm kit lens and bought a brand new (old model) Lumix G-1.

These are my reasons:
1. I do not take videos. The GF-1 has video - the G-1 has no video. They share the same m4/3 sensor.
2. The GF-1 is not small and light -as touted. If you are serious with photography and goes out on photo-shoots with a full complement of lenses and a tripod, I can assure you the total weight is quite a load!!
3. After reading a fair bit on taking creative shots and after attending a photography class, I realised that a flip and tilt LCD is one of the most useful part of a DSLR. It allows you to take shots that are impossible with either VF or fixed LCD. The G-1 has that feature.
4. Presently, the G-1 is the smallest and cheapest m4/3 system camera with LCD & in-built VF. If you like to take video, the new model G-2, which is an upgrade of the G-1 has it.

The lesson I have learnt in camera buying is:
1. Learn the ropes (some photography lessons and literature) first.
2. Decide what you want later. Remember, once you settle for one make and built up the lens population, it will be very costly to change camera make.
3. No company that can manufacture cameras makes a lousy camera. They are different in features only.

Hope the above is not boring.

Regards.
LEW

Hi..

Thanks for ur view. I am looking for one with video capability. Narrow down to these two model. Much more things to learn for me after i buy. ;p

Hi.. dun get wat u mean.. :dunno:
Well, one of the recommended techniques to hand-holding a camera steady is to hold the camera firmly with both hands, tuck both arms as close as possible to your body and rest the camera against your head for extra stability...
try to imagine doing that with a GF-1.
You probably can't unless you buy the electronic viewfinder accessory.

Well, one of the recommended techniques to hand-holding a camera steady is to hold the camera firmly with both hands, tuck both arms as close as possible to your body and rest the camera against your head for extra stability...
try to imagine doing that with a GF-1.
You probably can't unless you buy the electronic viewfinder accessory.

Oh.. yah the GF1 dun come with EVF.. I guess u mean taking with GF1 with the :live" view will be shaky. does the OIS helps?

GF1 seems to be the best pick.. :p