Staff member
Jul 19, 2012
fz200_slant.jpg

A New Super-Zoom Digital Camera with Full Range F2.8 Aperture
24x Optical Zoom LUMIX DMC-FZ200
Featuring High Speed Response and
1920 x 1080 60p / 50p Full-HD Video Recording

* 35mm camera equivalent: 25-600mm

Panasonic is pleased to introduce new DMC-FZ200 with 25mm ultra wide angle 24x powerful optical zoom featuring full range F2.8 aperture (35mm camera equivalent: 25-600mm). The stunningly bright F2.8 aperture in 600mm has never been achieved by any digital compact cameras*, which makes it possible to capture moving subjects clearly with fast shutter speed even it is distant away.

The LUMIX’s popular FZ series pack a powerful optical zoom and superior controllability including manual operation over photo and full-HD video recording. The powerful 24x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 25-600mm) can be increased its power to 48x equivalent with the Intelligent Zoom function taking advantage of the Intelligent Resolution technology maintaining the picture quality even using digital zoom. The POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) is improved in the correction accuracy to minimize blur even when using powerful zoom and the Active Mode effectively suppress handshake vibration in video recording. Panasonic's Black Box Nano Surface Coating technology minimizes light reflection that causes ghost and flare.

Newly developed 12.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor and the advanced image processor Venus Engine in the true shooting-style camera DMC-FZ200 feature high speed response and high quality image even in high sensitivity recording. It contributes to the high speed burst shooting at 12 fps in full resolution and the Light Speed AF to catch the most fleeting shooting opportunities together with the quick start-up time of approx. 0.95 sec. The newly designed 0.2-inch EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) features 1,312,000-dot equivalent high resolution, 100% field of view and minimum screen freeze. Together with the Light Speed AF and quick start-up, the DMC-FZ200 responds to the speed demanded by high-end users to capture the most fleeting shooting opportunities.

The DMC-FZ200 records 1,920 x 1,080 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) full-HD video recording in AVCHD progressive / MP4** with high quality stereo sound. The powerful 24x optical zoom and manual control are also available in video recording to make the video more attractive.

In addition to the full manual control, wide variety of shooting options such as Creative Control and Photo Style are integrated to look photo and video even more true to the photographer’s creative intention.

Featuring stunning optical performance that no other compact digital camera can offer, the DMC-FZ200 realizes high shooting performance to even satisfy advanced photographers with its bright, high quality photo and video.

* As of July 18, 2012.
** 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL) in MP4 recording.

More Information
Digital Still Camera 2012 Second-half New Products | Press Release | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Last edited:
25-600mm constant f2.8 with IS ? Wow...amazing.

wide range, tiny sensor :(

that is perspective issue. if u put a APS-C into a bunch of medium format, APS-C is also tiny sensor.
every cam has its own league to win

U make a good point there. However I am coming from the point of... can that small sensor resolve details from 600mm range. And the lens had such a wide range (25mm to 600mm) wouldn't that be pushing the limit of the sensor a bit too much, plus the constant aperture. From one of the reviews, they are actually using the same sensor as the FZ150, and so the sensor is not really new, so how good can it handle?

But I will wait for more reviews to see how good or bad this camera really is.

rhino123 said:
U make a good point there. However I am coming from the point of... can that small sensor resolve details from 600mm range. And the lens had such a wide range (25mm to 600mm) wouldn't that be pushing the limit of the sensor a bit too much, plus the constant aperture. From one of the reviews, they are actually using the same sensor as the FZ150, and so the sensor is not really new, so how good can it handle?

But I will wait for more reviews to see how good or bad this camera really is.

If you need both F2.8 and details of a larger sensor, can you imagine the size of the setup? Imagine a 25-600 F2.8 constant APSC or FF size.

Definitely a bazooka at least?

I'd say each has their target audience =)

if you need that range for full frame sensor, you can have this, :)

Sigma 200-500 f2.8 constant,
009475l.jpg

not dont forget to carry 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 to get the same full range, with heavy weight and price tag,

so that is why Pany use a "tiny" sensor for the good sake

if you need that range for full frame sensor, you can have this, :)

hahahaa....even with this, there is no IBIS. and you forget that you would need a super steady tripod that could also cost/weight a lot

What I am saying was the detail the sensor can resolve. Of course, I realise how massive the setup will be if using a big sensor (don't need a full frame, a APS-C sensor or even the G1X sensor) however what is the use if the entire package is small and portable and yet not able to resolve enough details to be useful.

Anyway I am reserving my opinion until the full review of this camera came out. It certainly look like a good package with all that is packed into the camera body... if image quality is good then I believe Panasonic is hving a winner here.

Hi,

any bro know when this will be in Singapore?

Thanks

constant f2.8 is like wow... wondering whats the physical size like comparing to the FZ150...

Been waiting eagerly for this cam

I was wondering what people thought about the FZ 200 compared to the Fujifilm X-S1. As of today, pricing is the same ($599). The X-S1 has a bigger sensor, the FX200 has a the 2.8 aperture for the whole range of the lens. What do you guys think?

Can find quite a number of pics taken by the FZ200 in the DPreview Panasonic forum... FYI...

Anyone know if it is available in SG already? Price..?

I was wondering what people thought about the FZ 200 compared to the Fujifilm X-S1. As of today, pricing is the same ($599). The X-S1 has a bigger sensor, the FX200 has a the 2.8 aperture for the whole range of the lens. What do you guys think?

I doubt X-S1 is at $599. It should be HS30 if you want to compare in terms of price range.

I doubt X-S1 is at $599. It should be HS30 if you want to compare in terms of price range.

Amazon has the Fujifilm X-S1 at $599 since last Friday, apparently a 2 weeks special (normally $699) The HS30 sells for under $338 on Amazon right now.

Ok...u meant in USD....usually here no currency we take it as SGD. I was wondering since when S$599...