Panasonic 7-14mm DIY Filter Holder

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Dear all,

As promised earlier, I will share my DIY solution for the Panasonic 7-14mm Ultra-Wide angle lens.
First, I must really give credit to Brother hyperFocal as his thread inspired me to look for other possible solutions and also to Brother wonglp for sharing some of the links with me so that I can further do my research on the available solution.

Just to share the process...

After getting the Panasonic 7-14mm lens, my first thought is how to maximize the use of my filter sets on this useful lens.
I read up those threads send by wonglp and also the thread by hyperFocal as reference and begin thinking of my solution.

First, I measure the external diameter of the lens.
PC061315.jpg

PC061317.jpg

It measures around 69.6mm.

I tried measuring the largest diameter around the hood of the lens.
PC061318.jpg

PC061319.jpg

It measures around 70mm.

My first thought was to use a step-up ring from 72mm to 77mm and try to secure it. But they I realised that the hole size is smaller than 70mm...
PC061349.jpg

Taking inspiration from hyperFocal solution, I tried any circular thing which I can find and quite close to 77mm. I thought I found my solution...

PC061348.jpg

However, I realised that the diameter is a bit too wide and width of the tape core is too narrow to give enough secure holding area. So I thought of finding some gaskets or foam to help to secure it properly...

So I make my way to Popular Bookstore and Home DIY for some inspirations...

Just nice I saw a Rubber Foam Gasket used for plumbing and the diameter is somewhat I was looking for. So I bought it back to try... (Damage : $3.10)

PC061313.jpg

I tried fitting it onto the lens...
PC061321.jpg

PC061322.jpg

It is perfect fit with some level of grip on the lens because the diameter is slightly smaller than 70mm...
Most of all, it provide perfect light seal.

Last edited:
Next, I took a 77mm filter which I find laying around. (It already gotten fungus)

I removed the glass and keep the ring. [PS : You can buy any cheap 77mm filter or filter ring]

PC061320.jpg
(This picture is for demo)

Next, place the filter ring on the gasket. Try to locate it concentrically. (THIS IS THE HARDEST PART). I did mine with some estimation. If anyone else got a better solution so that the filter ring and gasket can fit concentrically, do please share.

PC061323.jpg

Then use an NT cutter and start cutting the gasket around the region where the filter ring screw thread touches the gasket.

PC061324.jpg

After that, cut the depth of around 2 to 3mm...

PC061327.jpg

Removed the cutted gasket as shown.

PC061328.jpg

This is the end result of the cutting.

PC061331.jpg

The filter ring is supposed to sit into the gasket nicely.

PC061329.jpg
(The filter in the picture is for demo)

Next, use a strip of double sided tape and tape around the cutted region.

PC061332.jpg

Fix the filter ring onto the gasket.

PC061333.jpg

Next, if you can, use some glue to glue the filter ring securely onto the gasket. Do note that some of the glue available may be corrosive to the foam gasket...

Then, fit the DIY Filter holder onto the 7-14mm lens.

PC061334.jpg

Next, use a round filter and screw onto the filter ring. Make sure that it is hand tight or secure.

PC061336.jpg

Then, turn lens over. Mark the "LIMIT" of the DIY Filter Holder with some gaffer tape.

PC061338.jpg

The use of the "LIMIT" mark is to inform the user the "operating range" of the DIY Filter Holder.

I have tried using the Round Filter on the 7-14mm. The vignetting is quite visible at 8mm. The usable range for round filter is around 9mm...

Next, I tried it for the Lee Wide Angle Adapter Ring.

PC061339.jpg

PC061340.jpg

Putting on the Lee Filter Holder.

PC061341.jpg

You can try pushing the DIY Filter Holder slight in. (If needed)

PC061342.jpg

Trying out the LEE Big Stopper...

PC061343.jpg

Can see that it is a good seal from the side.

PC061344.jpg

To avoid vignetting, you can try pushing the DIY Filter Holder in slightly so that the hood of the lens is touching onto the filter glass...

PC061345.jpg

So far I tried, there is vignetting at 7mm but around 7.5 to 8mm, the vignetting is not really that visible.

Just to share a shot taken with this set up. This was done last Sunday...
Format is 3:2.
Using GND and ND filter on my Lee Filter Holder.
Focal Length : 8mm

PC020479.jpg

Quite superb !

This looks like a viable solution since the colour of the foam and the compression of the foam prevents light leak !

Am gonna try this for my Nikon 14-24 as well !

Thank you for sharing this in great detail !

Cool! :thumbsup: I like how the foam gasket serves to hold the filter onto the lens and provide light shielding at the same time. Pretty neat! Quite similar to the rubber hood version. Best part is there is no modification to the Lee filter holder and can stack filters if desired.

The cutting of the groove for the ring is delicate work, tho. I think i'll need to buy spare gaskets if trying this out. Haha...

Thanks for sharing Francis, this is perhaps most elaborate I've seen so far! Do you think stepping up 77mm to 82mm will eliminate vignetting? It's hard to swallow the cost of Lee holders+filters, if round B+W filters can be used, I will still stick to it :)

brilliant DIY! means if i buy the 7-14, i can use my 82mm adapter ring with the lens!

but i think it does not matter if you use bigger adapter ring or not, cause' the size of the holder and filter remain the same.

you need bigger holder and filters in order stay clear of the 7-14 wide FOV, thus eliminating the dark corners.

did i understand it wrongly? haha.

Quite superb !

This looks like a viable solution since the colour of the foam and the compression of the foam prevents light leak !

Am gonna try this for my Nikon 14-24 as well !

Thank you for sharing this in great detail !

You are welcome.

Not sure if this will work for the Nikon 14-24mm but can look for similar solution.
Do please share if it works. :)

Cool! :thumbsup: I like how the foam gasket serves to hold the filter onto the lens and provide light shielding at the same time. Pretty neat! Quite similar to the rubber hood version. Best part is there is no modification to the Lee filter holder and can stack filters if desired.

The cutting of the groove for the ring is delicate work, tho. I think i'll need to buy spare gaskets if trying this out. Haha...

Hey Bro,

Haha... The gasket foam is quite cheap and relatively easy to cut. So can give it a try some time. :)

Thanks for sharing Francis, this is perhaps most elaborate I've seen so far! Do you think stepping up 77mm to 82mm will eliminate vignetting? It's hard to swallow the cost of Lee holders+filters, if round B+W filters can be used, I will still stick to it :)

Hi Bro,

You are welcome.
I did think of your suggestion before. I have yet to try it out.

I was thinking of replacing the base filter ring of 77mm with a 82mm filter ring instead to maximise the angle and reduce vignetting.
Conceptually should work but the think is that the ND110 and Hoya R72 does not have 82mm filter... :(
But I got a spare set of the gasket form, so can buy a step-up ring to try out first... :)

brilliant DIY! means if i buy the 7-14, i can use my 82mm adapter ring with the lens!

but i think it does not matter if you use bigger adapter ring or not, cause' the size of the holder and filter remain the same.

you need bigger holder and filters in order stay clear of the 7-14 wide FOV, thus eliminating the dark corners.

did i understand it wrongly? haha.

Hey Bro,

I believe that if I remove 1 slot from my Lee Filter Holder, the vignetting should not be visible at 7mm. (I stack up to 3 slots on my filter holder).

I think using a bigger adapter ring is more for the round filter type. At 77mm, the vignetting is visible at 8mm... So if we change to 82mm, it should be able to reduce it or at least avoid the 7-14 wide FOV...

Hey Bro,

I believe that if I remove 1 slot from my Lee Filter Holder, the vignetting should not be visible at 7mm. (I stack up to 3 slots on my filter holder).

I think using a bigger adapter ring is more for the round filter type. At 77mm, the vignetting is visible at 8mm... So if we change to 82mm, it should be able to reduce it or at least avoid the 7-14 wide FOV...

yeah, sounds legit.

i too had 3 slots stacked up, will KIV your idea.

thanks for sharing!