panasonic 100-300mm lens

richardfoo

Apr 19, 2006
Hi folk anybody got the Panasonic 100-300mm lens. please show your picture.

thank you:nono::eek:

Lens is not out here yet but can show you gentlemen a picture shot with the prototype.
OIS is working correctly so picture quality is a bit bad.
Shot at 300mm handheld with the GH-2, prototype also, courtesy of Panasonic Singapore.
Note, black dot is due to a dead pixel and not some distance crow.

1000045.jpg

hmm... the edges quite soft, or something wrong with my eyes? :bigeyes:

normal to have that soft edges for this range of lens.

I think the compression made when resizing/uploading to the image host degraded the IQ alot here....

Lonewolf can you comment on your statement below again? why OIS working correctly results in picture quality a bit bad? or do u mean OIS not working correctly...wonder why would panasonic let a lens with faulty OIS get out in the while, especially prototypes...

OIS is working correctly so picture quality is a bit bad.
Shot at 300mm handheld with the GH-2, prototype also, courtesy of Panasonic Singapore.

I think the compression made when resizing/uploading to the image host degraded the IQ alot here....

Lonewolf can you comment on your statement below again? why OIS working correctly results in picture quality a bit bad? or do u mean OIS not working correctly...wonder why would panasonic let a lens with faulty OIS get out in the while, especially prototypes...

My bad, typo error. Its suppose to be OIS is "not" working correctly at that time.
Panasonic SG was more concern with testing out GH2 at that session, 100-300mm is more of a freebie that accompanied the host.

Compression does make a difference as I shot in JPEG mode instead of RAW (Photoshop didn't support it at that time).
In order to upload it to CS, I have to use a 60% compression ratio.

So I can only say, have to wait for another kindred soul to provide the next picture.

Soft picture is due to resizing, especially when Ext.Tele. Con. is engaged. Without ETC and Jepg
reduced to M size, it will have less artifacts.

Got mine from Cathay last week. Managed to take only a few shots as have been too busy. Pictures are sharp and very good for the price. OIS works well - not easy to shoot a 600mm equiv handheld but pics still reasonably sharp at 1/200. This is probably the cheapest way to get some decent bird photos.