Palm introduces 2 new handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Ho

Jan 17, 2002
jasonho.clubsnap.org
The much anticipated Tungsten with built-in WiFi, the Tungsten C, and Zire with built-in camera and color screen, the Zire 71, has been released.

zire71.gif

tungstenc.gif

Tungsten C
The Tungsten C is Palms most powerful handheld computer to date, with built-in high-speed 802.11b wireless.

The Tungsten C runs Palm OS 5.2.1 and runs on 400mhz Intel Scale PXA255 Processor. The display is a 16-Bit, 320x320 bright transflective TFT color display, which supports more than 65,000 colors. It includes 64MB of internal memory (51MB is user accessible), the most memory for a Palm OS handheld. It also features dual expansion with the Palm Universal connector and a Secure Digital (SD/SDIO/MMC) expansion slot.

The Tungsten C also has an Integrated Thumb-Size Keyboard as well as on screen Graffiti2 for data input. The Palm 5-way navigator also facilitates one-handed operation.

Its dimensions are 4.8" x 3.07" x .65". (122 x 78 x 16.5 mm), and weighs 6.3 oz (178 g). The Tungsten C uses a 2.5mm headphone plug for audio out and a rear mono speaker. There is also Vibration, Audio and LED Notification for alarms.

It is powered by a fixed 1500mAh Rechargeable Lithium Ion/Polymer battery. Which Palm says will provide a full work day of consistent Wi-Fi connectivity, or a full work week of normal handheld use.

Zire 71
Bringing multimedia capabilities to its Zire product family, Palm, today introduced the Zire 71 handheld with a built-in digital camera and Palm's sharpest high-resolution color screen to date.

Zire 71 Features
The Zire 71 runs Palm OS 5.2.1 and uses a 144MHz Texas Instruments OMAP310 (ARM) processor. The display is a 16-Bit, 320x320 bright transflective TFT color display, which supports more than 65,000 colors. It includes 16MB of internal memory (13MB is user accessible). It also features dual expansion with the Palm Universal connector and a Secure Digital (SD/SDIO/MMC) expansion slot. Palm has also incorporated a joystick like 5-way navigation button for one-handed use.

Its dimensions closed are 4.5 in. x 2.9 in. x 0.67 in. (114 x 74 x 17 mm), and weighs 5.3 oz (150 g). The Zire 71 has a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone plug for audio out and a rear mono speaker. The Zire 71 is powered by a 900mAh rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery.

Source : PalmInfocenter.com

img_zire71_1_sm.jpg

The Palm Zire 71 handheld's new design features a slider that reveals and activates the digital camera. The camera can capture pictures in 640x480, 320x240 and 160x120 resolution with Free focus, auto exposure and auto white balance. The display acts as the viewfinder, and snapshots can be saved within internal memory or onto expansion cards. The camera automatically activates by sliding open the device. A touch of a button underneath the slider, users can instantly capture the photo.

One of the four application buttons on the front of the Zire 71 handheld accesses Palm's new photo application for organizing and managing digital images on the handheld. Users can assemble photo albums, beam images to friends, and move pictures to and from an expansion card. The Palm Photos application also has been integrated into the Palm Desktop Windows edition, providing photo viewing, organizing and basic editing functions.

Source : PalmInfocenter.com

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Interesting.... any idea of the pricing for the Zire 7i?

From CNET Asia:

"Palm's two new products should be widely available in Asia-Pacific starting May, with price tags similar to U.S. prices of US$499 for the Tungsten C and US$299 for the Zire 71.

The firm declined to confirm regional details until its launch event tomorrow."

I like the features on the Tungsten C - battery life looks good. It's a pity there's no bluetooth though.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
I like the features on the Tungsten C - battery life looks good. It's a pity there's no bluetooth though.

Well, with Wi-Fi, you won't miss bluetooth. ;)

If you really do get a Bluetooth SD card from Palm, expensive though.

Originally posted by Jason Ho
Tungsten C
The Tungsten C runs Palm OS 5.2.1 and runs on 400mhz Intel Scale PXA255 Processor. The display is a 16-Bit, 320x320 bright transflective TFT color display, which supports more than 65,000 colors. It includes 64MB of internal memory (51MB is user accessible), the most memory for a Palm OS handheld. It also features dual expansion with the Palm Universal connector and a Secure Digital (SD/SDIO/MMC) expansion slot.

wah...will this palm OS flies with the same CPU as the latest PPC avaliable now?
too bad not CF slots

get ipaq 5450 lor

WiFi + blue tooth + good screen

but argh...why not CF slot!

Originally posted by newuser
Well, with Wi-Fi, you won't miss bluetooth. ;)

If you really do get a Bluetooth SD card from Palm, expensive though.

I prefer to SMS on my palm via BT - T68i's buttons are really stiff...

Yeah, the BT SDIO is an option - but it'll take up the SD slot and I think it'll be kinda irritating with part of the card jutting out.

Originally posted by Wai
get ipaq 5450 lor
WiFi + blue tooth + good screen
but argh...why not CF slot!

or e740, WiFi , CF, SD, but no BT!!

ah... guess there's no perfect device out there yet. :)

or e740, WiFi , CF, SD, but no BT!!

ah... guess there's no perfect device out there yet. :)

well... sacrifice the CF slot for a BT CF card then :D

if not... get a 5450 + a CF+ sleeve.... a road monster it'll be :D :D

Originally posted by keraptis
well... sacrifice the CF slot for a BT CF card then :D

if not... get a 5450 + a CF+ sleeve.... a road monster it'll be :D :D

but the CF+ sleeve = extra size and weight leh...cos i thinking of geting an ipaq...and CF slot is a must for me

Originally posted by kongg
I bet Sony will come out wif something better soon!!

better maybe, bigger definitely.

Originally posted by Wai
but the CF+ sleeve = extra size and weight leh...cos i thinking of geting an ipaq...and CF slot is a must for me

but dont forget about the extra battery juice u're getting... an extra of 920mAh.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.