Palace of Versaille

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenfong

Jan 7, 2008
Took this shot with my Nikon Coolpix PNS in Paris last year. I'm a newbie just starting out and have since bought a Canon 40D. Any critique on composition and colour of photo will be much appreciated.
Versailles_1.jpg

I think the colors are sound. But perhaps improve on the composition?

I think the colors are sound. But perhaps improve on the composition?

Thks very much for your comments. having recently bought a DSLR, it will give me greater flexibility and more control for future shots.

A tip would be to learn to scout the area for a vantage point or angle before taking your shot. Whether you use PNS or DSLR camera..it does not matter as long as you have good framing and composition. Just my 5 cents...

A very gd way to improve is to imitate. Read up and look at pics of places you intend to go. Try to take pics of what you had seen in books that looked gd to you, and slowly adjust the shots to ur style.

shooting from afar would have kept the building from tilting. with ur new cam shooting highest res then cropping the excess away if zooming in still includes too much distracting foreground.

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to post your comments. They are much appreciated and certainly helps me to improve my techniques.

i feel that the building took up too much space on the photo. :) my humble comment.

i would say the colors are alright but the composition is weird.
it's neither here nor there, you can try either taking the front shot of the entire building or at the corner that angle.
and cant see your focus, too many distractions from this angle.
a nice place though =D

just my 2cents

A few things I would suggest:

• I would correct the slanted wall (inclined to the right), see corner on the left, in PS.
  • I would show some more space on the left but I wouldn't mind too much keeping the current one though.
  • I would correct the significant distortion on the far right or crop it altogether.
  • I would experiment this in b&w.

I like that fact that you included the people below because they gave us a scale of the building. For a newbie using a coolpix camera, this is pretty good :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.