Painting With Light & Shadow: A 50-year Chronicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

teL

Jul 8, 2003
Singapore
engloy.elcreations.net
A plug for my dad's exhibition coming up in August 2009. More details on the exhibition at http://www.lite-n-shadow.com. Hope to see you there :)

coverlogo.jpg

Photography as a fine art has its beginnings in May 1892 when the Link Ring, a group of photographers pledged to enhance photography as a fine art, was formed in London, United Kingdom.

While artistic photography in Singapore did not fully evolve until the post-World War II period, within decades, names like Yip Cheong Fun, Wu Peng Seng and Lee Lim put Singapore onto the world map.

With the interest in photography seeing a resurgence along with the popularity of digital cameras, the timing is ripe for a renaissance in photographic artistry in Singapore.

This exhibition showcases the photographic style and artistry of Tan Lip Seng that have evolved over 50 years of creativity. It chronicles the evolution in style over each decade since 1959 and features prize-winning works that have made Mr Tan one of the world’s top ten pictorial colour slides exhibitors over 20 successive years from 1969 to 1988.

The exhibition will also feature new artistic works over the last decade highlighting the influence of the digital age on Mr Tan's creative output.

Through this exhibition, Mr Tan hopes to inspire a new generation of Singaporean photographers to greater heights in artistry.

Ups for one of the most respected photographers.. Will try and attend if can :)

Once of my most respected photographers ,hope to see you dad's . koh

Wow, strange but I was just thinking to myself when I was jogging @ eastcoast just now and wondering what happened to the famous photographers like Yip Hoi Kee and Tan Lip Seng. This is one I would really like to see.

Thanks for the responses :)

We are hoping that the exhibition will be a visual feast for everyone... up to 400 prints will be on exhibition. A companion book portfolio will also be launched during the exhibition proper.

Hope to see everyone there!

i can't wait!

suggestion... maybe nearer the date teL you may want to refresh this thread as a reminder that a great exhibition will be coming up...

Hello teL, thank you for showing us.
Yes, please refresh this thread as the exhibition draws nearer.
I believe it would be a visual feast and an inspiring one for the new generation of photographers.

Thank you (on behalf of my dad) for the positive feedback and interest. I will definite bump this thread up when the date is nearer :)

Cool. I'll be there.

A quick bump of this thread.... :)

If you have joined the Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibitions / Competition in the past, you should be on their mailing list I think. If so, you would have received the invitation card for the opening by now :)

Hope to see everyone there at the opening... If not at least some time during the exhibition period... Admission is free to all.

Cheers.

How can we miss this. Been a very long time...

i hope i don't miss this.

anyways, mr tan lip seng's gallery is here for those who somehow do not know of him. you can get a better idea.

Publicity from Lianhe Zaobao today (14.8.09) at http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk090814_001.shtml

打破50年不展的沉默 ——陈立诚摄影展

● 吴启基

本地著名摄影家及医学摄影一把手陈立诚,50年完成了至少数千张不同表现手法和内容的摄影作品,却从未举办个展。为配合今年的“新加坡美术展”,他终于打破“沉默”……

█ 陈立诚,新加坡著名摄影家。

█ 1942年,陈立诚生于新加坡。1959年,在端蒙中学主办摄影展,次年毕业自端蒙中学高中第一届。作品被美国摄影学会、奥地利、澳洲及本地多家机构收藏。  

█ 1962年至1997年,他的彩色幻灯片曾在世界2439个国际沙龙入选6005次,荣获1079个奖项——其中包括34枚美国摄影学会最佳作品金奖章、8枚国际影艺联盟金奖章及其他241枚金奖章。

█ 1969年至1988年,他名列美国摄影学会彩色幻灯展览者10杰名人录。

█ 1985年,他获新加坡文化奖。他也是国际影艺联盟卓越影艺家,法国巴黎彩色摄影学会准会员,英国专业摄影师学院准会士等。长期来积极参加世界多个国家与地区举行的摄影比赛和评选工作。

配合今年“新加坡美术展”的举行,本地著名摄影家陈立诚将打破从事摄影50年而不举行个展的纪录,第一次让国人观赏到他经营、建构多年的摄影世界。

能够50年完成至少数千张不同表现手法和内容的摄影作品而坚持不展,原因何在?回答是:“60年代,我加入大学的医学系内科及小儿科从事医学摄影,一晃就是42年。工余之暇,还是醉心于摄影创作及摄影活动,剩下来的时间和空间就不多了。2006年正式退休后,这才发现,自己没有给大家交出一张总的成绩单,再加上得到国家艺术理事会的鼓励,利用文化奖的那笔奖金,终于才得以好梦成真,完成这次展出。”

每个人的开始,都有一个故事。

他说:“记得小六毕业时,学校办了系列到报馆及工厂去参观的活动。当时,为了要为活动留下纪念,我就拿了大哥的相机去参加,顺便学习拍照,那是我生平第一次触摸相机。中学时,才进一步学习到如何冲洗软片和放大照片的暗房技术。1957年,我初中毕业,蒙二哥照顾,特别向父亲建议,给我添购一架双镜头反光机,我的艺术摄影,才正式开始。”学生时期的这架相机,也帮他完成了许多早期的黑白创作。

摄影可以报道和写实

对于摄影的深情和投入,原因不外是:“摄影可以报道和可以写实,又能捕捉生活中美妙的一面,让我逐渐进入摄影创作的门槛。1959年,端蒙中学50周年的校庆,在老师的鼓励下,我负责校庆影展的工作,展出的大部分是我的作品,也由我亲自放大。无巧不成书,这次影展地点——义安文化中心,正是50年前母校那次影展的所在地。”

在50年代时,新加坡的摄影活动有限,拥有相机的人应该不多,当时的情况如何?

“50年代,本地较活跃的摄影组织只有新加坡摄影俱乐部(后改称“新加坡摄影学会”),国际摄影沙龙只有一个,地区性的影展有泛马影展。60年代时,推动摄影的组织忽然增加到5个,另外南大摄影学会,也是大学中另一推动摄影的重要学生团体。本地第一代摄影家有巳故的李林、吴秉诚、叶畅芬等人,在我的摄影成长过程中,起到一定程度的影响。”

Visit the exhibition website at www.lite-n-shadow.com and the official blog at http://blog.lite-n-shadow.com

hey all, you guys making this sound very good.
how good is it? i want to make it to a cca outing for all members of my cca if it's that worth :)

Repty: Think it will most certainly be worth it :)

More details at the official blog: http://blog.lite-n-shadow.com

The official opening is on 25 August 2009 (next Tuesday) in the evening at 7pm although the exhibition will be open daily from 11am - 7pm starting this Friday, 21 August 2009 till 30 August 2009.

A virtual preview (a video clip of the exhibition venue) will be up soon on the official blog if you are interested :)

My dad's exhibition is featured in the latest issue of Arts Beat.

Do note that there is an error in the Arts Beat snippet.

The exhibition opening times are from 21-30 August 2009, 11am - 7pm daily... NOT 7am - 9pm daily (!)

Official opening will be on 25 August 2009 at 7pm.

art-beat-1.jpg

arts-beat-2red.jpg

"Painting With Light & Shadow: A 50-Year Chronicle" opened its doors to the public this morning at 11am for preview prior to its official opening on the 25 August 2009. More than 70 visitors graced the exhibition hall with their presence today. We are greatly honoured to have friends, relatives, students and even tourists from as far as the Netherlands visiting the exhibition. Do make your way down to the exhibition over the next 9 days if you can... especially for the opening on 25 August 2009 (Tuesday).

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.