Painting of Stream at Macritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkasa

This photo was taken at macritchie. In the morning.

As usual, the trees create a messy scene of green.

i was just trying to capture flowing stream and the peace of the forest.

Had PS the photo to look like a canvas art. Click on the photo to see full size. (will be able to clearly see the photo)

Like some CnC and at the same time lots of suggestions on how to approach photo taking in a place like macritchie. This was all I got.

good potential. nice lines in fence, banks and stream, leading to the light.

BUT I dont think the canvas effect work, at least not in B&W. It makes the pictures really messy as there are already no sharp distinction/contrasts in the many many details in the picture. Canvas effect may work better in colour where the colour adds another dimension to allow viewer to discrimnate details. (somehow I think u are deliberate trying to hide details.)

If you want B&W just leave it as picture and play up the local contrasts.

errm.. you took a shot of a few compositional elements in that scene which you could have used to make a few variety of the same scene.

Very hard to explain in writing, maybe you should look into books on Natural Landscape Photography.

Personally, in nature, things are naturally messy but you need an eye to see Order in it for a beautiful composition.

What I do; I DON't look at the obvious in a scene like that...

To depict flow of a small stream, the flow speed of water in stream must be significant so that small aperture can turn it into smokey looking fluid...

Agreed on the flow of water. Could have tried a slower shutter speed.

I was just too caught up with other considerations. Will take a mental note on this. Thanks.

good potential. nice lines in fence, banks and stream, leading to the light.

BUT I dont think the canvas effect work, at least not in B&W. It makes the pictures really messy as there are already no sharp distinction/contrasts in the many many details in the picture. Canvas effect may work better in colour where the colour adds another dimension to allow viewer to discrimnate details. (somehow I think u are deliberate trying to hide details.)

If you want B&W just leave it as picture and play up the local contrasts.

;) U r right. I was delibrately tryng to hide the details.

Will probably try to take again another day when the weather is slighly different.
Seems like every time I plan a trip it rains. In any case, the photo didn't turn out good enough to be able to go with more details.

This was the only photo which I thought was good enough to request critic. Also I don't seem to be able to find a good or rather interesting subject/composition in macritchie. At least the portion from Venus carpark to HSBC bridge.

Would like some feedback and suggestions on how or what I should look out for at macritchie Pls don't tell me to go read a book. :sweat: point me to a couple of photos of macritchie which you think is good will do. (Will go to spot and see/shoot and compare)

tks.

your shot looks like it was taken while you are standing up
this would be what the viewer would see if he/she was walking where you were
thus not making it special

try another POV, something that the viewer does not normally see
for example, you can consider going into the water with a low angle shot,
just above the water level, make sure that there is some foreground detail
so that if you use a slow shutter speed to make the water flow,
there would be some portion that is pin sharp and not moving (like rocks, or a branch)
a WA lens would increase perspective and give you lots of DOF.

i hope it helps

your shot looks like it was taken while you are standing up
this would be what the viewer would see if he/she was walking where you were
thus not making it special

try another POV, something that the viewer does not normally see
for example, you can consider going into the water with a low angle shot,
just above the water level, make sure that there is some foreground detail
so that if you use a slow shutter speed to make the water flow,
there would be some portion that is pin sharp and not moving (like rocks, or a branch)
a WA lens would increase perspective and give you lots of DOF.

i hope it helps

Well, the photo was taken on a small bridge. I was sitting down. But you are probably right. Still too high a position.

Sigh. Still cannot bear to get myself into the river/mud.

Point taken. A very good suggestion which I will try out on my next attempt. Probably try out an IR shot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.