Painted Faces, Present Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahlay

May 5, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Painted Faces, Present Memories
A unique photo competition on the theme of Chinese Opera in Singapore. Just bring your 8R print (or medium format equivalent) to the Singapore History Museum and clip it up at the display with the entry form available at the foyer. You can enter up to 4 prints and the top 10 will be featured in the April issue of Grain magazine. Come to the museum any time between 20th January and 29th February, clip up your print and stand a chance to win.

To prepare for this competition you are invited to participate in these free events by registering with chua_li_koon@nhb.gov.sg

18 Jan 04
3pm to 4pm
An Introduction to Chinese Opera by the museum curators

18 Jan 04
4pm to 5.30pm
Photography Workshop - Chinese Street Opera

7 Feb 04
11am to 3pm
Day Trip To Visit An Opera Troupe(limited to 20 participants)

7 Feb 04
3pm to 5pm
What Makes A Good Photo? A photography discussion

1st Prize
$600 voucher and a $200 Safrotto camera bag from The Camera Workshop
plus an Epson printer valued at $600

2nd Prize
$400 voucher and a $150 Safrotto camera bag from The Camera Workshop
plus an Epson printer valued at $500

3rd Prize
$300 voucher and a $100 Safrotto camera bag from The Camera Workshop
plus an Epson printer valued at $500

Plus 10 runners up receive $100 vouchers and $86 Safrotto camera bags
from The Camera Workshop

Organised by Singapore History Museum
Official Magazine: Grain
Sponsors: The Camera Workshop, Epson

Copyright of all photos remain with the photographer and photos may be collected from the Singapore History Museum after the exhibition.

Made In Heaven
January 19 to March 28, 2004
A rare opportunity to get close to the intricacies and glamour of traditional Chinese Opera! In this inspiring exhibition, the costumes and headdresses of the Sin Yong Hua Heng Teochew Opera Troupe and the late Mdm Chu Kui Yin are woven around three classic love stories. These elaborate costumes and headdresses were used to tell stories that continue to move audiences to laughter and tears. This is also an exceptional chance to see the exquisite detail of the opera costumes.

Museum Opening Hours

Monday 1pm - 7pm
Tuesday to Sunday 9pm - 7pm
Friday 9am - 9pm

The Singapore History Museum is located at Riverside Point #03-09/17, 30 Merchant Road (above Brewerkz). For a map and details of transport routes, please go to http://www.nhb.gov.sg/SHM/Trailblaz...tingthere.shtml

Where & When are the Chinese Opera performing in Jan & Feb 2004? Chinese Opera performances, a traditional street performance take place around Singapore, usu. without our notice.
Here are some clues for those who are interested to find out more about it.

26 Jan 04
Yishun Ave 5 - "blue rooftop"

30 & 31 JAN 04
Pandan Gardens

1&2 JAN 04
Bedok North Blk 18 (beside Hawker centre)

3&4 FEB 04
Bukit Timah 7th miles (the field opposite Beauty World Shopping Centre)

5 -6 FEB 04 Tampines St 41 (field)

7,8 & 9 FEB 04
Paya Lebar (Ubi area, the temple beside the one with the upside down "fire" chinese character.

10 &11 FEB 04
Old Airport Road near Geylang
(near where Gay World used to be)

15,16 &17 FEB 04
Toa Payoh Ave 8 (The field next to the Indoan temple)

20 & 21 FEB 04
Kim Pong Road (redhill and tiong bahru area)

22,23 & 24 FEB 04 Bedok Reservior (beside the reservior) Near blk 700 something

Was it just changed from 17 to 18 Jan?

Also what must be bring on those days?

Thanks!

whats their performing time slot ? :confused:

ashbaby said:
whats their performing time slot ? :confused:

I echo ashbaby.... but thanks a lot ahlay for providing their schedule, I dunno where else I could've got that info. Are you involved in the production?

btw I also have a tip for finding chinese opera... one Sat night at around 8 I was in the Pulau Ubin village near the jetty. It was long after CNY but there was an opera performing in the square. Dunno whether it was a weekly, fortnightly or even monthly event. Does anyone know? I highly recommend going there because of the rustic flavour... the village kids actually go and sit on the edge of the stage :p

The performing time is usually from between 12noon - 3pm and evening 7:30pm-10:30pm. I have been advised to shoot at nite because the make up and costumes are more elaborate than the afternoon session.

Please note that there is a change of time and venue for the opera photography shoot and the critique session. For those who have registered with Li Koon, she might have already informed you of the changes.

The new dates, time & venue for photo shoot:

5 Feb, 7:00pm - Choa Chu Kang Mrt Station

7 Feb, 7:00pm - Choa Chu Kang Mrt Station

The photo critique sessions conducted by Ken Cheong:
6 Feb, Friday 7:30 - 9pm
Singapore History Museum, Education Room
You are greatly encouraged to bring your slides, prints or digital files. Laptop and slide projector will be available for use.

ahlay said:
22,23 & 24 FEB 04 Bedok Reservior (beside the reservior) Near blk 700 something
Is there anyway we can get confirmation of these dates?
Missed all the previous and trying to go for at least one of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.