pain before pleasure

jackkel

Dec 24, 2006
4695331132_fb932438b5_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Feedback on composition, exposure and post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to show the uncommon side of Singapore life

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Under strong backlight, i used manual flash

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the overall composition, but im not sure if post processing overcooks the picture, and makes the image overly contrasted

Last edited:
Like the moment here...understand that the hand on the left can't be avoided since this is in a street.

The first thing I noticed is the harsh flash..especially on the leg, there's a patch where you have lost all the leg hair:bsmilie:
The roof on right top seems to have some halo..I was thinking it would be better if you could move to your left and try to capture more of the guys on the right looking on..tt would be more interesting...not sure if it was possible for you during the shot..

a friend of tungtong ?

Like the moment here...understand that the hand on the left can't be avoided since this is in a street.

The first thing I noticed is the harsh flash..especially on the leg, there's a patch where you have lost all the leg hair:bsmilie:
The roof on right top seems to have some halo..I was thinking it would be better if you could move to your left and try to capture more of the guys on the right looking on..tt would be more interesting...not sure if it was possible for you during the shot..

ok thanks. Halo and the harshness seems to come from post processing. Here is the original with minimal PP for reference.I was leaning against a pillar on my left, hence no better vantage point at that moment. Maybe he also had oil from his massage on his body....;)

4698656536_d130c50eb3_b.jpg

The harshness of the flash i can explain....the backlight was strong, and i needed to use stronger flash output to get a proper exposure on the subject. Maybe i could have reduced a little but it seemed to underexpose, and bouncing off the walls only weakened the flash output.

thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
ok thanks. Halo and the harshness seems to come from post processing. Here is the original with minimal PP for reference.I was leaning against a pillar on my left, hence no better vantage point at that moment. Maybe he also had oil from his massage on his body....;)

4698656536_d130c50eb3_b.jpg

The harshness of the flash i can explain....the backlight was strong, and i needed to full blast my flash to get a proper exposure on the subject. Maybe i could have reduced a little but it seemed to underexpose, and bouncing off the walls only weakened the flash output.

thanks for your feedback.

overexpose and harshness don't really mean the same thing on flash. Probably if you could diffuse your flash more and balance it with the background lighting, then the standing guy would look more naturally blend with the background lighting:)

Not an expertise on photography... To my opinion, When the first sight i saw this 'weird' photo, I thought its was a post-edit... Perhaps the flash is too strong. The massager was too 'pop-out' of the photo... Erm. How do i phrase it? o_O Its like someone taking a photo of a landscape and cutting his own self-portrait and paste it on the picture.

Cheers :D

a friend of tungtong ?

not being offending to tungtong or TS..

but when i saw the title, i think likewise too...

anyway this post of yours really amusing....

yes .. relax .. have a kit kat... :)

My first thoughts were... "wa, this guy dem brave, flash full power for a candid shot" :bsmilie:

Your flash is overpowering , the person look abit fake .

My first thoughts were... "wa, this guy dem brave, flash full power for a candid shot" :bsmilie:

The subject was quite happy to be photographed....i did notice his temporal blindness after i walked away...:cool:

just kidding....:bsmilie:

The subject was quite happy to be photographed....i did notice his temporal blindness after i walked away...:cool:

just kidding....:bsmilie:

Maybe hoping you can promote his services in the vicinity :sweatsm:

dun like the lighting... not sure how it can be rectified... maybe a diffuser...

this is really damn funny! :bsmilie:

ya man...

sometimes i really have a good laugh at posts posted in CS...

u cannot find such humor at others foreign sites i guess.... after all ang mo has a different sense of humor than us Asian... haha....

there is a cs nick, tigongkia.... oh... whenever i see it i laugh....

hahaaha...

i like CS

ya man...

sometimes i really have a good laugh at posts posted in CS...

u cannot find such humor at others foreign sites i guess.... after all ang mo has a different sense of humor than us Asian... haha....

there is a cs nick, tigongkia.... oh... whenever i see it i laugh....

hahaaha...

i like CS

Im glad the picture elicited some form of response from you guys...at least better than no response.

:cool:

Im glad the picture elicited some form of response from you guys...at least better than no response.

:cool:

:)

it is good to have some responses... but i seldom get them... haha... what to do... just keep trying .. haha...

good job getting up close on this situation

the fill-in flash seems a touch harsh but to me it added a good punch to a great capture ..... :thumbsup:

was the tilt intentional?

did you try a close up of the man's face (lying on ground) with background blur of man stepping on him?

good job getting up close on this situation

the fill-in flash seems a touch harsh but to me it added a good punch to a great capture ..... :thumbsup:

thanks...much appreciated.

Do you prefer the original picture or the PP one?

Last edited: