Paid work for Macro work, Landscape work etc.

duskman

Dec 24, 2012
Singapore
So far most of the jobs which I usually do get paid for are event photography, weddings and studio work. And most of the time there's only a demand for services like that where people are actually willing to pay for your service. I'm wondering if anyone here in SG or CS actually does make a living out of photographing insects, flowers, or landscapes etc.? I would love to learn more from the pros in those fields

I think your post is in the wrong sub-forum

nobody will hire you to shoot rocks, sunrise sunset, flowers or insects, you may able to sell some photos of these, but won't able to buy you food last for a month.

if you just love to shoot, better work for people, you have more time to shoot than managing a business.

if you want to make more money, find other jobs and spend your free time shoot what you love.

Don't know about macro stuff but I used to sell cityscape prints online and to local companies (and a few individuals) who wants something to "decorate" their offices and homes. Those are one-off kinda thing so don't expect a steady flow of work of that nature coming in. You cannot carve a career out of doing this, not here.

In that case, I think most of the landscape photographers and macro people here are mostly hobbyists? I guess the only people willing to pay for such photos are probably Nat geo etc.

In that case, I think most of the landscape photographers and macro people here are mostly hobbyists? I guess the only people willing to pay for such photos are probably Nat geo etc.

you can't make a living by just a few photos of landscape or insects, a couple of hundreds or thousands maybe.

I know a freelance guy who's currently working on a project with the NUS Tropical Marine Science Institute, shooting a mix of macro/underwater work, bioluminescent fungi etc. So, apart from the high-profile stuff we're familiar with like Nat Geo, perhaps academia is another possible angle.

Noticed a local, Francis Ooi, featured on the blog, Apartment Therapy. Don't know if he's on CS.
Before & After: Francis's Transformative Gallery Wall | Apartment Therapy

Looks like a personal project that grew into something more.
Blog: what i see when i run
Shop: what i see when i run — Home

So far most of the jobs which I usually do get paid for are event photography, weddings and studio work. And most of the time there's only a demand for services like that where people are actually willing to pay for your service. I'm wondering if anyone here in SG or CS actually does make a living out of photographing insects, flowers, or landscapes etc.? I would love to learn more from the pros in those fields

Don't have.

Whatever there is to be photographed, tens of thousands of clubsnap members and tourists had already photographed it, many probably with way better results. The flowers won't pay for your service, so its down to a few sources who will buy those photos. And you will be competing for attention against that tens and thousands of clubsnap members, which at this moment as we type away on the forum, some groups of them are still shooting some nightscene somewhere.

Majority are rich hobbyists that love photography and nature.

Very small minority are true pro photographers and in this current day and age, probably struggling to keep a job.

Even back then, it wasn't easy. Just look at UK's most famous landscape photographer Charlie Waite. I read somewhere that the lived off his actress wife's income for years before accidentally chatted with a book publisher, hit off, who published his first landscape book.

And today, even book publishing is also a declining industry...

I think stock photography is where such genre of photography tends to gravitate to.

My guess your idea is to shoot something that you need not interact with people, or shooting with people but still able to get paid.

sorry to say, don't have.

you can go and take a look at any stock libraries, there are thousands and thousands of such photos, can your photos stand out among this? don't forget many of these photographers are specialize in nature photos, spending weeks or months in the fields taking photos, spending many years to build up a sizeable portfolio on these subjects, can you commit same efforts on these? probably you only able to see some returns after a few years if you work hard enough. Are you game enough for this?

My guess your idea is to shoot something that you need not interact with people, or shooting with people but still able to get paid.

sorry to say, don't have.

you can go and take a look at any stock libraries, there are thousands and thousands of such photos, can your photos stand out among this? don't forget many of these photographers are specialize in nature photos, spending weeks or months in the fields taking photos, spending many years to build up a sizeable portfolio on these subjects, can you commit same efforts on these? probably you only able to see some returns after a few years if you work hard enough. Are you game enough for this?

Haha nah, not planning to either. For the time spent building up that kind of portfolio I could probably earn much more from a wedding in a day. Was just curious if actually anyone does such work for a living, and so far I've learnt much more about it! That's the beauty of the Clubsnap community. My intention of this thread was not to get into this field either, its more to create a discussion on this matter so that everyone can gain some light on it!

That is good for you if you can earn a lot from a wedding in a day shoot.

FYI, for stock photos be it licence under Royalty Free or Right Managed, it can be sold for many times many years. the photographers are looking the earning of their photos with a very long time frame.

Last edited:

Nat geo does not buy from freelancers. They have their own photographer pool

I am all for people who want to learn about something. Was there before. However there is a fine line when ask THE QUESTION you dodge and answer just to start a discussion not really interested. This kinda demeans efforts of contributors to the thread. It is faintly obvious that the use of the search function of Google was new utilized so is this was this community has become ? A place for people with idle curiosity to post questions and see the "nice people" jump through the hoop to answer ?

I am all for people who want to learn about something. Was there before. However there is a fine line when ask THE QUESTION you dodge and answer just to start a discussion not really interested. This kinda demeans efforts of contributors to the thread. It is faintly obvious that the use of the search function of Google was new utilized so is this was this community has become ? A place for people with idle curiosity to post questions and see the "nice people" jump through the hoop to answer ?

Firstly please proof read what you post, took me a while to even understand you. (Still not even sure if I got you correctly)

Secondly, I did Google around when I was curious about this topic, however this industry of photography is mainly dominated in the US and UK. Seemed like within Singapore, there isn't really anyone who works primarily on Landscapes, macro work, etc. So I was wondering why no one ever does it for a living? And if there's anyone around here who could prove us wrong and share some knowledge

Lastly I really appreciate the people who would comment and contribute on the topic unlike you.

So chill bro, go and post something more constructive.

Firstly please proof read what you post, took me a while to even understand you. (Still not even sure if I got you correctly)

Secondly, I did Google around when I was curious about this topic, however this industry of photography is mainly dominated in the US and UK. Seemed like within Singapore, there isn't really anyone who works primarily on Landscapes, macro work, etc. So I was wondering why no one ever does it for a living? And if there's anyone around here who could prove us wrong and share some knowledge

Lastly I really appreciate the people who would comment and contribute on the topic unlike you.

So chill bro, go and post something more constructive.

#1, ellery do contribute a lot here by sharing his experiences in this industry, more than 18 years btw.

#2, the closest paid macro work I can think of is shooting jewellery, maybe you can try shooting cufflinks, but you have to wait for next round, somebody already taken up the assignment.

catchlights said:
#1, ellery do contribute a lot here by sharing his experiences in this industry, more than 18 years btw.

#2, the closest paid macro work I can think of is shooting jewellery, maybe you can try shooting cufflinks, but you have to wait for next round, somebody already taken up the assignment.

LOL @ #2