Paid photographers - How do you handle NS callup and report your earnings?

Andreq

Deregistered
Jul 12, 2007
For those of you are male, full-time photographers, what will you do if you realize you have to be called back for NS? Especially the high-key 3 weeks type?

For eg, if you are doing weddings, 3 or more couples have already booked you in that 3 weeks way in advance. But then you get that notification to go back to serve NS! I don't think Mindef can allow you time-offs? Won't that be income loss also?

And also, how to you report your earnings since you are self-employed? I would think on some months you get more, some months less. Do you calculate the average and they will pay you accordingly?

don't take bookings 6 months in advance, tell them you might have NS, and you won't get price locked up too.

year earning / 12 months

Last edited:
Call up NSRC to ask when is your ICT . Normally high key ICT is planned 1 year + in advance by them

Defer online ns.sg, write letter stating confirmed jobs and how couples has specifically picked you for the job. Send in letter and signed confirmation documents as proof. All online.

Else of course you can block out that period for ICT..

Last edited:
And also, how to you report your earnings since you are self-employed? I would think on some months you get more, some months less. Do you calculate the average and they will pay you accordingly?

Mindef FAQ:

Q: Self-employed NSmen: What are the available MUP Claim Options?
A: The NSman should choose the option that best suits him. An option that best suits him. An option once made for a particular training is irrevocable.

Option 1: Income Tax Option

NSman's monthly income will be based on the average monthly trade (self-employment) income shown in his Income Tax Notice of Assessment (NA) for the year of NS training.

- Since the trade income for the year of training will not be available at the time the NSman submits the claim, a provisional payment would be made based on his latest available trade income. An adjustment would be made subsequently when the trade income for the year of training is available.

- If NSman is underpaid, arrears will be paid to him while any amount overpaid will be recovered from him. Such overpayments may be recovered from subsequent MUP claims.

- The trade income for the provisional payment as well as the final adjusted amount will be obtained directly from IRAS for claimants using this option.

Option 2: Average Income Option

NSman's monthly income will be based on his average income earned in the 6 months before the NS training.

- If NSman is a doctor or transport driver, NSman can claim replacement fees incurred as a result of engaging a locum doctor or reflief driver to take over his duties during his absence.

NSmen Website - Pay Matters

Time off is approved by unit CO. But also subject to the number of days of time off versus your whole ICT duration as too many will render ICT invalid. If your time off needed is during out field exercise most likely not given. I would suggest deferment in this case or transfer the paid job. At least you have 6 months window to settle.

Thanx, not experienced yet but just wondering What If....

But I think it's hard not to get bookings more than 6 months in advance becos that's wasted business. And if you are popular, all the more customers want to book you early.

Well, I'm not a photographer, but I am a freelance designer/programmer, so I guess it's quite a similar situation.

My experience is - they won't care whether or not you have jobs booked. You are usually informed about high key at least 6 months before it happens, so they expect you to make your own arrangements.
(and they also assume that someone is always there to cover for you)

From my own personal experience (yes happened to me not once but twice), no amount of appeals will work.
CO/OC will f%$^ care. At most they ask you to come down on first day of ICT (in full uniform) to appeal, but you will get turned down unless you're very lucky.

Sorry, but NS does NOT care about self-employed or small business owners in Singapore.

It happened to me, I had a $5k project that I had to turn down because of ICT. No amount of begging would work.
(imagine, $5k was around 20% of my annual income at that time, so it was a great big deal to me)
I even tried registering a new company, as that's one of the available "allowed" deferment reasons. Even that was shot down. The OC said, "Anyone can register a new company".

As for make-up-pay (MUP), they calculate based on your tax returns. If you feel that you would be earning more this calendar year, you can file for the difference. They would still wait for your next IR8A return to compensate you though.

Last edited:
silencer13,

Thanx for sharing. I feel for you. This is the type of situation I was precisely referring to.

I can imagine it feels so unjustified. Whether you are just starting out as a newbie or a rich businessman, I think it's not a good feeling to have money fly away. All the more if you're doing the small stuffs when you get called back!

No prob, Andreq. Glad to share.

As you can see, this really caused a very great resentment in me and ultimately made me hate the establishment all the more.

It's a terrible feeling when you're already living hand-to-mouth, trying to survive, then get your rare hope of earning some pocket money taken away by reservist.
Even worse is when you find that they call you back for virtually nothing. Basically spent by 3 weeks ICT doing nothing, or worse repeating the same lessons we took at earlier ICT, just because now we have new birds in the unit.
Why not just call back the new birds then?

And to add insult to injury - you get your MUP and see that pathetic amount.

ok, sorry, rant mode off. I'm just glad I MR already. ;)
Have fun in your ICT. :D

NS callup, if wedding job, then I refund the deposit and recommend my photographer friends for couple to choose. If commercial job, I sell the entire contract to another photographer for a profit.

NS callup, if wedding job, then I refund the deposit and recommend my photographer friends for couple to choose. If commercial job, I sell the entire contract to another photographer for a profit.

agree on this :)

I totally understand how you feel.

In the mass media, NS ICT is projected to be so serious, everyone training hard, learning to protect the country.

But many of those who go back know what it is really like. I have colleagues (educated with a diploma/degree!!!) who usually go back and spend most of their time slacking, sleeping, doing "bo liao" stuffs, etc. You can imagine how much money defence is being spent every year on such things. I feel the organization needs a serious clean up in the way they spend money. Can't believe after so many years, it's still the same!

In your case, I feel the pain and frustration. 3 long weeks where you could have earned quite a lot! Instead, you went back camp doing redundant things. Worse is, they paid you how much? This is exploitation!

Ok, no point arguing cos they do what they feel like. I'm sure you've moved on. :)

No prob, Andreq. Glad to share.

As you can see, this really caused a very great resentment in me and ultimately made me hate the establishment all the more.

It's a terrible feeling when you're already living hand-to-mouth, trying to survive, then get your rare hope of earning some pocket money taken away by reservist.
Even worse is when you find that they call you back for virtually nothing. Basically spent by 3 weeks ICT doing nothing, or worse repeating the same lessons we took at earlier ICT, just because now we have new birds in the unit.
Why not just call back the new birds then?

And to add insult to injury - you get your MUP and see that pathetic amount.

ok, sorry, rant mode off. I'm just glad I MR already. ;)
Have fun in your ICT. :D

Andreq said:
I totally understand how you feel.

In the mass media, NS ICT is projected to be so serious, everyone training hard, learning to protect the country.

But many of those who go back know what it is really like. I have colleagues (educated with a diploma/degree!!!) who usually go back and spend most of their time slacking, sleeping, doing "bo liao" stuffs, etc. You can imagine how much money defence is being spent every year on such things. I feel the organization needs a serious clean up in the way they spend money. Can't believe after so many years, it's still the same!

In your case, I feel the pain and frustration. 3 long weeks where you could have earned quite a lot! Instead, you went back camp doing redundant things. Worse is, they paid you how much? This is exploitation!

Ok, no point arguing cos they do what they feel like. I'm sure you've moved on. :)

Agree with u on this... if one is self employed then one will feel the pinch. For the employed, it's like a three week club med retreat, all meals provided, accommodation, and some adventure programs all thrown in, not only foc but get paid.