Pacific Swallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Happened to see this tiny birdy early in the morning where the sky was quite overcast and cloudy. Saw a lot of them but my poor little lens couldn't reach them. :cry:

Shoot birdy is getting tougher and thougher. :( Many a times, I am wondering how did those guys shoot PS by using 500mm + 1.4x TC? :think: Is it sufficient to reach the bird given that the size is very small? Unless you are very close to it. ;p

34276384-dd03-02580194-.jpg

Basically, one needs to know the habit and tolerance level (ie comfort zone) of the bird. Very often, when birds see human approaching, they will fly away.

One way to do it (yes, even with 500mm+1.4X tele-converter) is to spend some time observing the pattern of the bird. Identify its favourite perch, move near to the perch and wait. If you are too near (ie beyond the comfort zone of the bird), it will not land. Use a hide/blind or move further away until it starts to land again.

Different birds may have different tolerance level. I saw this pacific swallow in the open last year, duck-walked towards it and managed to get an uncropped shot like this (with 500mm+1.4x teleconverter). Incidentally, this shot also showed how it aid in the dispersion of seeds.

Pacific-Swallow-2.jpg

On other occasions, I have come across them perching on cables when a shorter length lenses could also get similar full frame shot.

Happy shooting!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.