Pacific Rim

Show of the year. Ok, acting wasn't fantastic but hey you didn't go watch this show for the acting....did you? It's all about giant robots beating up giant monsters and in that regards, it does not disappoint.

The Avenger is better IMO...

Pacific Rim is really a movie for fanboyz who grew up in the 70s to 80s... Ultraman and Godzilla fans. There is so much loop holes in the movies and the love scene is just horrible... so are any parts in the Movie where human emotions are displayed. I have to shut my eyes as the Aust Son said goodbye to his father... corny is an understatement...

BUT... if I leave my brain outside the movie hall before I step in... and just watch the show as it is, nothing more than an action flick where Giant Robots beat the sh*t out of Giant Monsters... its as good as most other movies I've seen...

Just LEAVE your brain outside the movie hall.... :bsmilie:

I actually liked it a lot. It wasn't a perfect storyline and yes, it was downright corny at some points but given that you already have giant robots vs giant monsters... You're really comparing the show to the likes of GI Joe, etc (hardcore and pretty much brainless action movies)... And aesthetics and style-wise, I think it did things really well.

I picked up the short graphic novel (Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero, which was released sometime earlier as a "prelude") the other day, and at the front, Travis Beacham sums up very nicely why I personally prefer Pacific Rim to Transformers (I liked it too, but frankly there's not much connection to be had with big alien robots bickering over the universe/Earth with humans really playing a sideshow no matter what Michael Bay would have you believe):

"..And I should pause here to say that the very geekiest corner of my brain always has this knee-jerk urge to correct anyone who calls the Jaegars "robots" (though I'm as guilty of it as anyone). Technically, a "robot" acts on its own behalf. What I was picturing was more of a mech - an anthropomorphic vehicle with a pilot. That had always been part of what drew me to the whole sub-genre. Not just, "Oh, look at those giant things wrestling," but, "What if an apocalyptic catastrophe struck, you could fight it - I mean really fight it?" So if it was a mech, someone had to be driving, and there had to be some reason to care about that person that was every bit as big as the monster.

The realization that the Jaegar, in fact, needed not just one, but two pilots changed everything. The whole thematic identity began to drift into focus and the story very briskly started pulling itself together. Suddenly, human beings mattered in those epic battles. Baggage mattered. Relationships mattered. Humanity quite literally drove the machines, and it was the difference between winning and losing. There was something worth fighting for. There was the threat of loss and the prospect of redemption. There was a knight in the suit of armor."

Last edited:
Great show. But like most said, just watch it for its entertainment sake. 4/5 stars :)

So what was 2 drivers ... left and right brain stuff all about?:)

Great show. But like most said, just watch it for its entertainment sake. 4/5 stars :)

So what was 2 drivers ... left and right brain stuff all about?:)

Because the load on the brain is too much for a single person, so they sync 2 brains together and do load balancing.

I know this is a stupid question... but here it goes anyway... :bsmilie:

If those robot are already armed with long range weapons... Gipsy Danger with 'plasma cannon' and Striker Eureka with chest mounted missiles... why hand to hand combat when they could shoot 1st, injure the Kaiju to slow it down, then finish the Kaiju with melee weapons like that sword in Gipsy Danger. :bsmilie:

Like Ultraman... if his Ray-Attack could blow up a Kaiju with one hit... why go through of the trouble of getting beaten up at the 1st place... only to at the very last moment, with a buzz, kill the Kaiju with one hit...

3162836-0250373901-Ultra.jpg
Ultraman_powered.jpg

And YES... I do know the answer just in case some people don't understand sarcasm... :sweat:

If those robot are already armed with long range weapons... Gipsy Danger with 'plasma cannon' and Striker Eureka with chest mounted missiles... why hand to hand combat when they could shoot 1st, injure the Kaiju to slow it down, then finish the Kaiju with melee weapons like that sword in Gipsy Danger. :bsmilie:

Like Ultraman... if his Ray-Attack could blow up a Kaiju with one hit... why go through of the trouble of getting beaten up at the 1st place... only to at the very last moment, with a buzz, kill the Kaiju with one hit...

Maybe must tenderize the meat abit so it is easier to blast kaiju blast to kingdom come? hahaha

And YES... I do know the answer just in case some people don't understand sarcasm... :sweat:

Well... ignoring the sarcasm and treating it seriously, easiest answer is that they are not as long-range as you think, and they need 5-10 seconds to charge/arm so it makes sense to slow down/stun the Kaiju so they can't dodge. ;-)

Another explanation is that the ammo for the longer range or more "powerful" weapons may be limited. You generally don't want to waste your resources at the start of the fight when the kaiju is fresh and likely to dodge hits with ease. So pummel until they are a little dazed or tired, then shoot shoot shoot. :bsmilie:

Anyways, I guess everyone knows the answer is that if the Jaegars are too powerful there will be no story... Just own the monsters and blow up the breach quickly in 30 minutes. :bsmilie:

Anyone who's watched Power Rangers will also wonder why the Rangers always play with the monster in their little units when they can just form up to end the thing quickly in one slice.. But the kids will be sad to have their Saturday morning TV end so soon. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Pacific Rim teaches you to dream what you want to dream,
go where you want to go,
be what you want to be.
Because you have only one life and
one chance to do all the things you want to do.

Cheem!

go where you want to go,
be what you want to be.

Heh, nice but I doubt that is the implicit message...

go where you want to go,
be what you want to be.
I thought the message was that if you drive big robots and have abs, you can exchange your brother for an adoring Japanese girlfriend. :bsmilie:

I thought the message was that if you drive big robots and have abs, you can exchange your brother for an adoring Japanese girlfriend. :bsmilie:

well, he had one chance to do it, and he did it :bsmilie:

If you think about the inherent zero privacy with a mind meld...

There gonna have one heck of a hot lovelife :-D