Pacific Film Prime Film 7200

saraddictive

Sep 9, 2012
singapore
Hey guys,

just bought myself a new prime film 7200 the other day and the results from it are far from impressive. Shots come out almost extremely noisy - no matter how much I try to remove any dust from it - and shots are muddled even at 4800 dpi. I've yet to find a single sharp shot from this new reel i've got and i'm really not that bad a photographer. the colours of each shot are lackustre as well

Is there something I'm doing wrong? i've calibrated the shots, changed the dpi... as far as i'm aware cyberview which comes with the scanner (worst software) doesnt allow me to do anything else and i'd rather not drop about USD 80 for silverfast. Mind you, silverfast came up with similar results when I tried scanning with the scanner.

Help?

Hey guys,

just bought myself a new prime film 7200 the other day and the results from it are far from impressive. Shots come out almost extremely noisy - no matter how much I try to remove any dust from it - and shots are muddled even at 4800 dpi. I've yet to find a single sharp shot from this new reel i've got and i'm really not that bad a photographer. the colours of each shot are lackustre as well

Is there something I'm doing wrong? i've calibrated the shots, changed the dpi... as far as i'm aware cyberview which comes with the scanner (worst software) doesnt allow me to do anything else and i'd rather not drop about USD 80 for silverfast. Mind you, silverfast came up with similar results when I tried scanning with the scanner.

Help?

I have no experience with Prime Film 7200 but have used the XE (which I believe is an updated version of 7200). I would consider the scan quality to be good. I am using Vuescan. You may want to check it out (trial version available free) and see if it is any good.

Cheers,
Anxin

really? this is what a scan looked like straight out. did you get results similar to this?

i know i can post-process it... but i was legitimately hoping for a better scan result.

3Xi4bPe.png

Don't remember seeing such level of grains/noise lehz. Hmm...if the film is not under-exposed, then something is not right. (Did you check "Magic Touch" in the cyberview software?)

BTW, I reckon that some PP is usually necessary to make the image looks good (to get the right colors, some pop, slight sharpening, etc.) Kodak Pakon 135 is probably an exception though.

Last edited:
What film did you use? I have a Pacific Image 7200. Scanned pictures are ok. I scan at 3600dpi 48bit TIFF. I switch off everything except light scratch removal. Then I postprocessed in Lightroom. I've ditch Cyberview to Vue as it doesn't allow much options and control.

It just looks underexposed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same scanner and when I moved to vuescan results got so much better.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Anybody has experience with Epsonv600. Does Vuescan gives better scan quality than the Epson scan software?

Should just try getting a plustek. So far I feel that dedicated film scanners have better quality than flatbed scanners. Just tedious doing one frame by one frame

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk