P&S with ISO1600, waterproof and shockproof metal casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06012602olympus_720sw.asp

another portable P&S with ISO1600 capablility, at Euro$300, about same price as Fujifilm F11

although only 3m waterproof, it is good enough for all outdoor activities unless u really go diving deeper than 3m.

now let's see if the color going to be as good as Fujifilm F11

wow!! interesting!! :bigeyes: now can do simple basic snorkelling w/o the underwater casing. even in swimming pool is fun with children. :sweatsm:

The "BrightCapture" technology sounds a little dubious. Sounds like they're just averaging pixels down to remove noise (what's 1/9th of 7.1 megapixels?), then interpolating the image up again.

The resulting noise will be much coarser grain. Details also gone. This is just stupid. I rather use a better noise reduction software on my MAC. Definately much better than any algo they can implement on the camera.

Quite dissappointed with olympus actually.

StreetShooter said:
The "BrightCapture" technology sounds a little dubious. Sounds like they're just averaging pixels down to remove noise (what's 1/9th of 7.1 megapixels?), then interpolating the image up again.
i suspect it's more of a built in NR software.

but the waterproof feature is fantastic.

wind30 said:
The resulting noise will be much coarser grain. Details also gone. This is just stupid. I rather use a better noise reduction software on my MAC. Definately much better than any algo they can implement on the camera.

Don't speculate.... wait till the camera arrives before delivering the judgement. What is there to be dissapointed when the releases by Olympus today are so innovative compared with the boring staple of devices the other makes are introducing? :)

nightpiper said:
wow!! interesting!! :bigeyes: now can do simple basic snorkelling w/o the underwater casing. even in swimming pool is fun with children. :sweatsm:
Yup. That is exactly what I plan to do. Some snorkling and swimming pool shots of my children.

StreetShooter said:
I agree. So it is not really low noise due to better/bigger sensor after all.

Although the reduce size to compensate for higher ISO do lose detail, and my be a bit blur. But there are some occasional indoor event or in the dark where you really need high ISO and fast shutter speed for these P&S. It's a feature that not very good, but better than none.

I think this has been implemented in Panasonic, Kodak etc kind of P&S camera lately also.

wind30 said:

wait till we see the sample pic lar..

when Fuji F10 just launched...i also didn't expect much from it's ISO1600 capability...until i got myself a set to play with.

Certainly it is not as clean as the image from my 1D MKII, but it is the best i have ever seen from a portable P&S

I like the internal zoom, shockproof and waterproof feature

nowadays got lmore n more pns with iso 1600... most of which grossly use some heavy handed NR and downsizing to reduce noise... bur i would rather be able to take a heavy NRed iso1600 shot than not....

saying which the u720S looks good... 3 metres waterproof n shock resistant and a nice 2.5"lcd...

zcf said:
Although the reduce size to compensate for higher ISO do lose detail, and my be a bit blur. But there are some occasional indoor event or in the dark where you really need high ISO and fast shutter speed for these P&S. It's a feature that not very good, but better than none.

I think this has been implemented in Panasonic, Kodak etc kind of P&S camera lately also.

Actually I rather they boost up the ISO and do NOTHING. Rather then using SUPER NR and lose all the details. Ultimately, what you can do on the PC will be better than what you can do on the camera. Give me the original ISO1600 file and I am sure neat image can do a better job.

I think F10 noise performance is partly due to a better sensor

I think most consumer don't know how to do post process, that's why the camera did it for them :sweat:

Also, it looks better on 'spec' when they do scientific test on noise performance.

We usually hear consumer complain about "Wah noise", rather than "Wah.. no details"

And this, more or less, sounds better and more sellable.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.