P&S - what should I be looking at?

num21lock

Mar 3, 2011
Hi guys

need some recommendation for a P&S with good video recording capabilities and also good photo taking... mainly for work related shots/video of peoples homes and kitchens and living room...

Love the idea of a compact cam but with above amateur picture quality...

Or should I just forgo P&S altogether and get a 550D?

Thanks!

The Olympus VG130 comes to mind as a starter. And then compact models that use AVCHD 720p.

Using a G12 now. If it's considered a PnS

You can consider mirrorless. Like Panasonic GF-1 is pretty good, paired with a 20mm pancake lens it should be wide enough for interior shooting.

You can consider mirrorless. Like Panasonic GF-1 is pretty good, paired with a 20mm pancake lens it should be wide enough for interior shooting.

20mm on MFT will be 40mm FOV. that's not too wide.

i would recommend... the Fujifilm F550 EXR

Just get a S95 or Lx5 or XZ-1. Under 700 and easy to use as pns, small enough to slip in your brief case or bag.

G12 is also good, slightly bigger though.

I am using the Canon S95 right now and I would say that it is a great camera for it's compact size. Hey, it allows one to shoot RAW. And the video has stereo audio, so it's an extra for those who shoots video.

You can also look at my Flickr for shots tagged with Canon S95 for some examples.

Hi guys

need some recommendation for a P&S with good video recording capabilities and also good photo taking... mainly for work related shots/video of peoples homes and kitchens and living room...

Love the idea of a compact cam but with above amateur picture quality...

Or should I just forgo P&S altogether and get a 550D?

Thanks!

S95, G12 or 550D should be fine. Depends how comfy you are with these cams and what your requirement is. All the best!

20mm on MFT will be 40mm FOV. that's not too wide.

i would recommend... the Fujifilm F550 EXR

i would say its reasonably wide, based on some interior shooting i have done with it. excellent in poor light condition, sharp and good iq, pretty much the deciding factor for me! my thoughts.

Get a Canon S95 or Lx5 and not regret, it's light and able to shoot in low light
I use S90 an older model than S95 but it's fantastic cam or look a Sony A55.

PnS or DSLR depends on how willing you are to carry the size of a dslr vs a compact that you can just put in your pocket.

Also note that if you are using 550D then I guess you are going to get kit lens. Low light S95 offers a faster aperture so I might choose that over kit lens.

Fujifilm in my opinion makes good cameras that are value for money. Do consider the EXR series, they have received good feedback for lowlight IF you get the settings correct.

Last but not least....are you going to use auto mode and shoot? If so PnS is for you. If you are willing to spend time reading and learning the various techniques and technical knowledge then get a dslr (if the size is to your comfort).

Anyway for dslr get the upcoming 600D which will be here very soon..the tilt screen might be helpful in videography.

Hi guys

mainly for work related shots/video of peoples homes and kitchens and living room...

get a camera with lens that goes as WIDE as possible ..... eg a crop factor dslr with 10-22 UWA , a full frame with 16-35 UWA or a PnS with a 24mm wide end (with a WA attachment?)

Last edited:
i would say its reasonably wide, based on some interior shooting i have done with it. excellent in poor light condition, sharp and good iq, pretty much the deciding factor for me! my thoughts.

depends on where you're shooting and the area available i guess. hmm. if you're looking at a small room, 40mm won't cut it. you'll need your FOV to be wider

depending on your budget. for pns with good image quality, if you don't mind carrying around a silghtly larger camera, can take a look at the Canon PowerShot G series. :)