P & S as backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys, pls recommend a point and shoot camera as backup camera for overseas...

some details are:
need not be super wide angle, but more importantly how far it can reach, abt 5x to 10x zoom should be good...
compact and light weight of course...
using sd-card...
must have IS/VR/VC etc etc
preferably low cost, lower than 300, or if top up another 100 can get a more value for money one also can consider...

edited: removed some of the points

Last edited:
please let me know if you manage to find one P&S camera which meet all your requirements, I really keen to know.

:bsmilie:

i guess a PnS as a backup does not need to be too good
sort of deliberating over the same issue and at less than 300, i've been looking at the Canon A1100 IS (RPP $299, probably can get it cheaper elsewhere) but not yet committed
Pros: Uses AA batteries (great backup if even your batteries fail), has an optical viewfinder since I personally do not like live view, small size and easy to carry in pocket, has image stabilization
Cons: 4X zoom only (35-140)

that srsly a long list of req

check out my guide on p&s here

there's a lot of new cams out now, such as the Canon IXUS 120 or the GF1 (not rly a pns but a m4/3 with a bigger choice of lens) or the Leica X1.

take a look and choose one you like, cos what we recommend may not fit your req/or be one you like.

btw, such high ISO values for PnS camera probably will give quite noisy images so should not really be taken into consideration?

At that budget, only the panasonic LZ8 and LZ10 seems to fit the requirements mostly. Less then $170 last i heard.

I dun think there is any P&S with that specification @ $300. If there is... i also wanna buy.

The first requirement is almost impossible unless its a GF-1 or EP-1 which may not be as good as your D90 and as for the budget.. hmmmm

But why do you consider a P&S as a backup for your dslr?

i guess a PnS as a backup does not need to be too good
sort of deliberating over the same issue and at less than 300, i've been looking at the Canon A1100 IS (RPP $299, probably can get it cheaper elsewhere) but not yet committed
Pros: Uses AA batteries (great backup if even your batteries fail), has an optical viewfinder since I personally do not like live view, small size and easy to carry in pocket, has image stabilization
Cons: 4X zoom only (35-140)

oh oh ok, canon A1100 IS, looks gd, thanks man :)

that srsly a long list of req

check out my guide on p&s here

there's a lot of new cams out now, such as the Canon IXUS 120 or the GF1 (not rly a pns but a m4/3 with a bigger choice of lens) or the Leica X1.

take a look and choose one you like, cos what we recommend may not fit your req/or be one you like.

hmm... 4/3 are kinda expensive... but thanks anyway :)

btw, such high ISO values for PnS camera probably will give quite noisy images so should not really be taken into consideration?

hmmm.... yes... but if really no choice, then a noisy pic is better than no pic rite...

The first requirement is almost impossible unless its a GF-1 or EP-1 which may not be as good as your D90 and as for the budget.. hmmmm

But why do you consider a P&S as a backup for your dslr?

a P&S when there is a need to take pic of me and my gf, cos not v possible to take with dslr and time consuming to set up tripod and timer...

The Samsung ST550 with dual LCD is good for self portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.