Oxley Rise ban from taking photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlytoad

Deregistered
Jan 17, 2011
Far North
I was walking there today for photo taking as there a lot of old building. Then suddenly chase off by a Ang Mo lady, saying no photo shooting here, she even call the guard to make sure I leave the area. The guard told me as here got a lot of Ang Mo and this place is protected area. So she had the right to stop me taking photo here( saw her across the rd n went further up) the guard even said that they (Ang Mo) scare that I was a terrorist. WTF is happening here? Can't a Singaporean who even finish the whole NS cycle take photo in his own country land? Can I said that it mean certain area only for HIGH CLASS people to go to? Even a Singapore Rd photo shot?

deadlytoad said:
I was walking there today for photo taking as there a lot of old building. Then suddenly chase off by a Ang Mo lady, saying no photo shooting here, she even call the guard to make sure I leave the area. The guard told me as here got a lot of Ang Mo and this place is protected area. So she had the right to stop me taking photo here( saw her across the rd n went further up) the guard even said that they (Ang Mo) scare that I was a terrorist. WTF is happening here? Can't a Singaporean who even finish the whole NS cycle take photo in his own country land? Can I said that it mean certain area only for HIGH CLASS people to go to? Even a Singapore Rd photo shot?

were you on private property? Or on a public road?

I was walking along the main rd

deadlytoad said:
I was walking along the main rd

I have not been there, but if it is a public road, unless it is an area earmarked as a security risk, no one has the right to stop you from shooting. Suggest next time round you ask to talk to the management if the security guard stops you. Be nice, some of them are just trying to do their job. As for random people living around the area, you can highlight to them that Singapore is a free country, and you do have a right to shoot, and they are welcome to clarify this with the police, which should be present in some form or have some signage up if it is a restricted area.

Just to check, were you near our MM's house? It is after all, in the area..

http://www.iluxuryasia.com/resources/ArticleContent.aspx?nid=3215

Last edited:
Nope, no at all. I was walking along the main road ( Oxley Rise ) n shooting the old building when one Ang Mo lady shouting at me like she own the whole area, she ask the guard in the building there to come out to the main rd to stop me from shooting photo. Then she just walk across the rd to the other side n continue walking up. She don't even stay there! WTF.

Hmmmmm I wonder there is any law that stop public from taking photo of buildings in Singapore, except restricted areas. Of course, if you are aiming at their bedrooms, that is another story and can be easily verified with the police if they wish to call them in.

Freedom is both ways and whether you are Asian, Ang moh or otherwise. I am no lawyer but surely if they wish to clarify, you can always let your name and contact to the police so that they can contact you again. Most times, the young police officer they sent also don't really know much and need to check back again.

Any lawyer here wish to give your comments and assist so that the rest of us can have a better understanding?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel_id_27893/travel_site_142761/

i was along the Oxley Rise road beside the "Reuben Manasseh Meyer Communal Hall" taking both building & "Chesed-El Synagogue" at that time. Not inside the building but outside the main road taking photo.

When online check.... they were Jewish. Now then i know, Jewish life is more important than Singapoean life. Cheap life we are....

Think first before you type something. This is not about the Jew, its the general singapore mentality. I was once walking somewhere along Portsdown Road and taking pictures, suddenly there was a security guard asking me to stop because the building nearby is a private school. I didn't know my rights back then, so I just quietly comply.

Think first before you type something. This is not about the Jew, its the general singapore mentality. I was once walking somewhere along Portsdown Road and taking pictures, suddenly there was a security guard asking me to stop because the building nearby is a private school. I didn't know my rights back then, so I just quietly comply.

international school mah, a lot of ang moh study there :bsmilie:

@TS before thinking that you're wronged, or that we're being marginalized....

you're shooting next to places where the Jewish Community gather.

please do a little read up on the middle-east and you'll have a better understanding. current world affairs and issues dude.

they have a right to panic. i do travel down that road quite often, and have never seen people taking photos around that area.

but do remember that you also have a right to shoot. just be responsible and sensitive to the area you're shooting in, even if singapore is a "free" country.

put yourself in the shoes of these people and try to understand why they might be jittery instead of condemning them.

you should try the old bulldog security guard at the Ballas Center and Synnagouge at Waterloo Street

You should tell the security guard to FO. You are shooting on a public road, which is accessible to everyone. Ask him to go make a police report if he wants. He can't do anything to you unless you are in private property.

Last edited:
The guard talk to me very nicely that why I walk away, he even told me before me, there's two more photo guys been ask to go away too.( actually, is the Ang Mo girl is the one finding trouble not the guard) What is happening till now I still don't get it? Why can't I take photo along the road at the building next to it. I never enter it what, just outside so dont think I'm in the wrong. If they don't like people taking photo, they should at least put a notice or sign board saying "No Photo Taking" or best build High wall lol.

if we always believe that we're not in the wrong, but others always are, then we've doomed ourselves to selfishness and defensiveness and ignorance.

TS, put yourself in the lady's shoes. yes she's wrong to chase you away.

but also, think. White doesn't mean just American or British. it also means Jews (because of their fair skin, although they're more middle-eastern)

anyone of those people, their countries are suffering right now from strife and war and civil unrest..

let's be more understanding to their needs. although we do no know what her concerns are, let's be more broad-minded and not close-minded.

at least you're not arguing with her right? let it rest bro ;)

@TS before thinking that you're wronged, or that we're being marginalized....

you're shooting next to places where the Jewish Community gather.

please do a little read up on the middle-east and you'll have a better understanding. current world affairs and issues dude.

they have a right to panic. i do travel down that road quite often, and have never seen people taking photos around that area.

but do remember that you also have a right to shoot. just be responsible and sensitive to the area you're shooting in, even if singapore is a "free" country.

put yourself in the shoes of these people and try to understand why they might be jittery instead of condemning them.

YA LOH. Tsk Tsk Tsk...TS how can you NOT read up if you go photo shooting there? Before you do a shoot, make sure you must:
- Do a demographic search on how many % of what type of race stays there. If can't find on internet, please do your own survey.
- Then read up on the top 30 majority groups who stay there - are they : White or Blue Collar workers? Which particular Industry? Are they Chinese, Indian, Malay, Jews, Anglo Saxon, Philippinos, Mongolians, Singaporean Chinese, Singapore Indians?
- For each group, make sure you READ UP what they are sensitive to. Make sure you don't miss out anything, in case any particular group is sensitive to Orange color and you happened to wear Orange! Otherwise they may have a RIGHT to panic when they see Orange.
- Make sure you know what these people are sensitive to before you step NEAR any roads they reside near to.

That's what people overseas do!! They are very sensitive!
Before they go shooting, they check who are in that vicinity. If they are Singaporeans, they will NEVER chew a chew gum within a 20km radius. Just in case the Singaporeans panic!

I'll feel better if I took it like I met a crazy person on the road. I'll shrug it off. Too many crazy people these days anyway. :dunno: :bsmilie:

*hands out cigarettes* :p

I think I'm in Singapore right? Or Singapore is in middle east? Then they should know that they are in Singapore & of cause must follow Singapore style. It a "free shoot" country what. (unless private property/area)

YA LOH. Tsk Tsk Tsk...TS how can you NOT read up if you go photo shooting there? Before you do a shoot, make sure you must:
- Do a demographic search on how many % of what type of race stays there. If can't find on internet, please do your own survey.
- Then read up on the top 30 majority groups who stay there - are they : White or Blue Collar workers? Which particular Industry? Are they Chinese, Indian, Malay, Jews, Anglo Saxon, Philippinos, Mongolians, Singaporean Chinese, Singapore Indians?
- For each group, make sure you READ UP what they are sensitive to. Make sure you don't miss out anything, in case any particular group is sensitive to Orange color and you happened to wear Orange! Otherwise they may have a RIGHT to panic when they see Orange.
- Make sure you know what these people are sensitive to before you step NEAR any roads they reside near to.

That's what people overseas do!! They are very sensitive!
Before they go shooting, they check who are in that vicinity. If they are Singaporeans, they will NEVER chew a chew gum within a 20km radius. Just in case the Singaporeans panic!

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I agreed with TS. No one had the right, irregardless of what race he or she was from - and either from Middle East, India, China, Russia, US, Britian, etc, to tell you to FO and no photo taking unless that area is specifically stated as private property or protected by law that don't allow photo taking.

Basically I don't care what those people had been through in their country (be it famine, internal strife, people killing each other, whatever)... they are in Singapore right now and they jolly well follows to Singapore's law. It is not like when we Singaporean went abroad, their countrymen are as accomodating.

My advise to TS is... before going for any shoots anywhere, check through net first to see if that area allows for phototaking or was there specific rules saying that there should not be photo taking in those area for whatever reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.