Oxidation of Hot shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ9900

Oct 5, 2004
Yew Tee
Bought a 20D in 2004 and through time the black coating on the hotshoe has peeled off.Due to oxidatiion of the hot shoe, the red light on my 585 flash do not blink. Is there any way to rectify this problem? Please advice.Thanks in advance.

if its contact problem, use an ultra fine grade sandpaper to buff the contact point on both ends. But if flash do not fire, it may warrant a trip to canon for a quick quote. could be your capacitors aint charging due to long time no use.

Bought a 20D in 2004 and through time the black coating on the hotshoe has peeled off.Due to oxidatiion of the hot shoe, the red light on my 585 flash do not blink. Is there any way to rectify this problem? Please advice.Thanks in advance.

U mean 580EX/II flash? If u use your flash frequently, chances of the contact points oxidising or rusting will be reduced.

if its contact problem, use an ultra fine grade sandpaper to buff the contact point on both ends. But if flash do not fire, it may warrant a trip to canon for a quick quote. could be your capacitors aint charging due to long time no use.

I have sent to Canon once and they told me it was because of oxidation of the contact point rather than the flash got problem. After the repair, it was all right for a while. However, right now the red light on the flash against don't blink.

Will the ultra fine sand paper further damage the contact point? Is there any recommendation such as chemical liquid to clean up the contact?

U mean 580EX/II flash? If u use your flash frequently, chances of the contact points oxidising or rusting will be reduced.

Yes, 580EX. Noted your idea. Thanks.

:eek::nono:

as per satan_18349 advice, eraser will do the job.

Hi guys,

What about using CAIG ProGold G100 spray for the connectors? I used them for my hifi stuff and it really works.

Hi guys,

What about using CAIG ProGold G100 spray for the connectors? I used them for my hifi stuff and it really works.

i will avoid using any form of chemical (spray or liquid) on camera. may cause the rubber grip to become sticky.

autosol
rub till shining with cloth

sandpaper will damage and scar your hotshoe chrome finish

autosol
rub till shining with cloth

sandpaper will damage and scar your hotshoe chrome finish

Very true. sandpaper will leave some light scratches. but with oxidation, this may be one of the solutions to remove the layer without using fluid. Well, of course, using sandpaper also requires skills. This is the cost for DIY.

Am recommending grit above 1000 as it's fine enough to remove the oxidised layer - if at all there is a layer to begin with.

As you said, autosol may be a good alternative since it is not as abrasive.

Still, I suggest the TS to send to a proper technician for repair. Why not go back to CSC since they did not fix it right the first round? I believe they have the know-hows to better troubleshoot the circuitry. Just tell them you are back for the same problem. They are a helpful bunch.

Electronics do have a shortened life-span when its being utilized for a while and left aside for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.