Owning 2 Dogs in Studio Apartment... Legal or not?

surrephoto

Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
Hi all,

My mom is getting fed-up recently with the morning and midnight barking noises made by dogs owned by our female neighbour.

Problem is we stay in a studio apartment block... also known as 一房式 or joking "无"房式, rented from HDB... Female neighbour is also renting since the entire block is meant for HDB rental purposes.

To make the matter worse... it's 2 dogs, specifically Chihuahuas.

Is this even legal?

Hi Edutilos...

My mother has visited the town council and was advised that residents staying in rented units are not allowed. The HDB InfoWEB does not distinguish between rented or owned units...

She was also told that the town council has visited and advised the unit dweller twice. Google did not solve my problem this time. So I might have no choice but to STOMP this.

Hi Edutilos...

My mother has visited the town council and was advised that residents staying in rented units are not allowed. The HDB InfoWEB does not distinguish between rented or owned units...

She was also told that the town council has visited and advised the unit dweller twice. Both dogs are still there. Google did not solve my problem this time. So I might have no choice but to STOMP this.

Last edited:
legal or not legal, sometimes i feel that SG is such a small and congested place, and most of us stay in HDB, only divided by a wall...

life is hectic, you work long hours, so much noise everywhere, so many people everywhere, sometimes you just want to stay at home... but imagine even your home is full of such irritations!

i will never own any pets, because i am afraid they will disturb my neighbours

some of my friends own pets that make alot of noise and they got complained by neighbours, and yet they have the cheek to curse their neighbours.. really selfish and unreasonable!

She was also told that the town council has visited and advised the unit dweller twice. Google did not solve my problem this time. So I might have no choice but to STOMP this.

Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore - Dog Licensing

Under the Housing and Development Board (Animals) Rules 1989, HDB allows only one dog of an approved small breed per residential unit. Failure to comply with this legislation can result in a fine of up to S$4,000 upon conviction.

That said, my suggestion is to speak nicely to your neighbour and indicate that they are breaking the law (as it is written today)?

legal or not legal, sometimes i feel that SG is such a small and congested place, and most of us stay in HDB, only divided by a wall...

life is hectic, you work long hours, so much noise everywhere, so many people everywhere, sometimes you just want to stay at home... but imagine even your home is full of such irritations!

i will never own any pets, because i am afraid they will disturb my neighbours

some of my friends own pets that make alot of noise and they got complained by neighbours, and yet they have the cheek to curse their neighbours.. really selfish and unreasonable!

Actually I'm very neutral about this... the dogs do not make sufficient noise to cause disturbance to my sleep.

I'm notorious for being able to share rooms on photo trips with the worse orchestral sleeper... whether it's Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, Tchaikovsky's 1812 or 龙腾虎跃 by 李民雄.

But since mom is making some noise daily... have to make some arrangements myself at the town council soon. Any more ideas guys?

Actually I'm very neutral about this... the dogs do not make sufficient noise to cause disturbance to my sleep.

I'm notorious for being able to share rooms on photo trips with the worse orchestral sleeper... whether it's Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, Tchaikovsky's 1812 or 龙腾虎跃 by 李民雄.

But since mom is making some noise daily... have to make some arrangements myself at the town council soon. Any more ideas guys?

as suggested by ed, talk nicely to them .. bcos u can't afford to offend them, it will only make life diff for u and your mum..

buy a bigger dog than the neighbour

wake at at 3 am and start barking like a mad dog.

let them have a taste of thier own medicine.

the solution is not to aggravate your neighbor. an eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind

but talking nicely to her will not make her get rid of the dogs either. people form a bond with their pets that's hard to break.

if town council visits don't work, what makes you think your negotiations will work? she obviously doesn't care. anything you do to make her get rid of the dogs will only cause problems between you and your neighbor.

the solution is not to aggravate your neighbor. an eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind

but talking nicely to her will not make her get rid of the dogs either. people form a bond with their pets that's hard to break.

if town council visits don't work, what makes you think your negotiations will work? she obviously doesn't care. anything you do to make her get rid of the dogs will only cause problems between you and your neighbor.

You got a point.

To add-on to the problem... I'll also like to share that drunk men bang at her door 3 times a week at wee hours... each session last about 2 hours.

But since this is a drunk men and woman problem. We can't stop that.

So breaking my relationship with my neighbour is a small issue if you understand what type of people live in HDB rented apartments.

Last edited:
one more point to take note... getting into a fight with your neighbor also affects your other neighbors, your psychological well-being and your family and friends.

if she refuses to move and HDB doesn't kick her out, then maybe you should think about moving elsewhere.

buy your mother ear muffs.

one more point to take note... getting into a fight with your neighbor also affects your other neighbors, your psychological well-being and your family and friends.

if she refuses to move and HDB doesn't kick her out, then maybe you should think about moving elsewhere.

I've talked to my mom just now... she's fine with bad blood that my occur. Hope she doesn't regret it so on to solve the problem.

buy your mother ear muffs.

Suggested before... but what if she can't hear the alarm for work?

boom a strobe up to thier window. when dog bark just trigger the strobe continuously.

boom a strobe up to thier window. when dog bark just trigger the strobe continuously.

and dog suddenly barks continuously... or it might get a photo-induced fit :)

this is a clear violation and not even borderline .... INSIST hdb to ENFORCE their own regulations ....

but if your neighbor gets rid of the quieter dog and keeps the noisy one .....