overseas voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanne

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone knows what are the voltages in Taiwan and Korea. Does it mean that if some of the chargers with 110V-250V written means that a step up transformer is not needed??

thanks in advance.............

Oh...the voltage in Malaysia are different from Singapore one........

go and get a charger which is from 110 to 250v, then u got no problems.

Originally posted by howie
go and get a charger which is from 110 to 250v, then u got no problems.

Actually you need more range that that, those are nominal voltages, and though IEC standards are suppose to be within 5% of nominal voltage I've seen em go as low as 90V in parts of Africa and up to 280V in parts of Australia and Asia Minor.

kena concussion liao.......be going to Brazil, Sao Paulo.........must get some kinda adaptor or something...........

juz chk th specs for my digital cam and video cam...both says to have support 110v-250v...guess it would be okay not to any any step-down transformers rite???

Do you mean the power adapter?

Originally posted by ultrazoom
Do you mean the power adapter?

err...i guess so...it is the adapter for charging the batteries....

Originally posted by insanne
juz chk th specs for my digital cam and video cam...both says to have support 110v-250v...guess it would be okay not to any any step-down transformers rite???

That will be fine and yes you'll need an adaptor for brazil. Most travel agents or duty free shops can help with the correct adaptor and the adaptor is listed on the voltage website from memory

oki...guess i've got what i need to know, thanks everyone for the info!!

Was wondering why can't all the countries in the world use the same voltage, frequency and plug etc?

Supposedly the 240/220 50hz countries are all going to move to 230v (I.E. in the middle).

With any luck it will come down to 230v 50Hz or 110v 60Hz and every thing else will go away. Not that its a diffcult problem any more. Most modern electronic gear has a 'switched mode' power supply, and these can be made 'autosensing' quite simply, and they don't care about the frequency of the input. (The first thing a Switched Mode does is convert the AC to DC, so the rest of the supply electronics doesn't even see the AC frequency).

However agreeing on a common connector (and earthing) is another matter. Will never happen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.