Overseas trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyepower

Mar 10, 2007
Yishun
hi all!

need as much comments as possible. my sch is planning to bring pupils to going to cambodia... i am one of those selected but not confirm yet...

thinking of bringing my d80 there and i am not sure if its safe... and what equipments shld i bring there?

and is backpack or sling better for these kinda trips?

thanks in advance.....

PS: i know smethin likedat have been posted before but i nt sure where is it so sori n plz giv comments....

am I the only one who thinks that these questions are... sad?
if you are in primary school, then my advise is DONT bring the D80.
if you are in higher education, then you should be old enough to decide for yourself, and that includes protecting your own items on a school trip.

i am sec sch... but nt sure if cambodia is a safe country to bring the cam there... n also nt sure what to bring...

am I the only one who thinks that these questions are... sad?
if you are in primary school, then my advise is DONT bring the D80.
if you are in higher education, then you should be old enough to decide for yourself, and that includes protecting your own items on a school trip.

erm.. nvr heard of a pri sch kid holding dslr b4 except my sis hu always tounch mine....

it is safe there...as long u keep your D80 close to u...;)

erm.. nvr heard of a pri sch kid holding dslr b4 except my sis hu always tounch mine....

well i do.. my k2 cousin's always putting his hands on my cam.. haha.. always must keep close to him....

anyway.. it depends on whether u're willing to take good care of it.. in any country there's always a risk... even if u go to europe or america there's a risk... just keep a close eye on all your stuff and make sure u never leave it alone for a moment...

for bags.. i'd say it's up to u...

Backpacks:
load spread on both shoulders, easier for long walks
harder to take equipment out
unless u have the whickey and cox range of bags or very thick padding behind, people can slit or open ur bag to steal stuff..

Sling bag:
convenient to carry and take stuff out
easy to snatch unless u have it slung across your body, which can interfere with your shooting style..
very tiring for long walks..
can't really attach a tripod on...

that's what i can think of so far.. as for what else to bring.. i don't really know.. haven't been there.. and i only own 1 lens anyway so i just bring everything....most likely i'll get a wide angle and normal zoom if i wanna travel light..

"boats parked on the dock may be safe, but that's not what boats are for"
what's the point of owning expensive camera gear if you're not bringing it anywhere?
only shoot in singapore is it? die lar...

update: well, my opinion is, bring it along. but if you think you cant handle risks, then dont bring lor.
I dont know you well enough to decide. I mean, you could be someone very weak, or someone strong, I also dunno...

thanks all...
erm... so do you prefer backpacks when overseas or sling? ( i tink will be waliking alot)
and i always get furious when my sis touch my cam.. what bout you?

As for boats, i dun reli agree as i think it reli depends on the security of the country lohs... like SGP u bring ur boat around it qutie safe mah....

thanks anyway.. comments printed out.. will keep asking if hav more qns..

thanks all...
erm... so do you prefer backpacks when overseas or sling? ( i tink will be waliking alot)
and i always get furious when my sis touch my cam.. what bout you?

As for boats, i dun reli agree as i think it reli depends on the security of the country lohs... like SGP u bring ur boat around it qutie safe mah....

thanks anyway.. comments printed out.. will keep asking if hav more qns..

haha.. how can i get angry.. they're my little cousins.. i just stay very close to them... and he's usually sitting down when he hold my camera.. not running about...

anyway for the bag part i don't think i can help u decide.. u have to try it out.. personally i prefer the backpack but i have yet to try it out.. still saving for the whickey and cox... i found sling bags convenient but the weight was not fun at all.. esp when i was using the dumb EOS bag (no padding)... just to carry the tripod i had to use a separate sling or bag which added more straps around my body..

some people have contraptions on their sling bags to hold tripods so it could make everything easier.. and if u get a good sling bag it could reduce the stress on your shoulders... go try both out la...

oh ok thanks.... do the shops like CP allow us to stuuf our equpiments in to try the bag?

they should allow u to try it first.. unless they dun want to earn your money.. hehe..

but according to what i know, those bags always have alot of thiongs attached to it like the brand model make e.g, making it hard to use and try....

travel light as i believe is not a photography trip. ur schedule shud be packed with school related activities.

well. have you tried doing photographic outings in sg? try it first. if you are those who are likely to get engrossed in shooting and lose distance from the group, it is generally not safe. take note that you are travelling with people who is not there to shoot. they will definitely move faster.

the risk is always there, whenever overseas, even in johor. you dun have a home to call back, won't have familiar places to run to, and won't have policemen that you can relate very well and trust.

since you are young, you got to be more careful of being a target. cambodia is turning into a tourist trap and hence violent crime is getting up. i know of someone who didn't make the way back but that's all i'm saying about it.

well

do you think sg is a safe place?

Which part of cambodia are you going? Siem Reap is generally safe. In Phnom Penh, try not to travel at night, that was told to me by my guide. If need be, travel in group. Some cab drivers armed themselves with pistol for self defence.

For your camera, keep it close to you. If carrying sling bag, sling it to the front. I used tape to cover all the logos and brands, you can do that if you want to.

Have a safe trip in advance, look forward to your pictures. It is a beautiful country, i will be there again in June.

Which part of cambodia are you going? Siem Reap is generally safe. In Phnom Penh, try not to travel at night, that was told to me by my guide. If need be, travel in group. Some cab drivers armed themselves with pistol for self defence.

For your camera, keep it close to you. If carrying sling bag, sling it to the front. I used tape to cover all the logos and brands, you can do that if you want to.

Have a safe trip in advance, look forward to your pictures. It is a beautiful country, i will be there again in June.

yar i am going to Siem Reap.... thanks for all the replys and going @ june aso...

well

do you think sg is a safe place?

relatively safer than some and very much more safe than some others. of cos there are some similar places too.

lotsa people bring dslr there... its quite safe if you take care of it properly

Status
Not open for further replies.