Overseas study or local study???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs_sim

Apr 20, 2004
Wonder if any of u pple out there has a dilema like me once upon the time. Well actually i completed my dip (logistics) 2 yrs ago n decided to get a taste of wrking life since i can't deciding on what to major in yet. :dunno: Huv been wrking for 2 yrs already n dun think i'm makin any big advancement in what i'm doing. Think ive finally decided to hit e book again next yr. :think:

Since my results is an ave of As n Bs, dun think i'll be able to secure a place in Nus or Ntu. My only options are SMU, SIM or oversea. Of coz overseas wld cost a bomb! So how? :dunno:

overseas cost a bomb, yes. But the experience is something that i can gurantee that you will never regret. if you like photography, overseas is heaven. having said that, do only things that you really love to (i am sure there are), only then you will not regret.

thats exactly what i did.. quit my job to go back to school.. since u are already limited by finance, seems like the local unis are ur only choices.. otherwise u can choose to do a correspondence course with an overseas uni via a local provider.. but remember to do lotsa research cuz many of the local providers promise a lot but deliver little.. choose a reputable one and ask for frank opinions if u have friends who are studying there..

Basically think i shld end up major something in Biz. I've been considering SMU, maybe econ or something dunno if i can get yet, but e e fact that its 4yrs is really kind of long. On e other hand, i always huv this insecure feeling abt dist learning! Not sure to what extend those degree are recognised in e mkt

If I have the chance and the means, it's overseas, no hesitation. My decision to chiong for it and come to London is just about one of the best decisions I've ever made in my whole life.

cs_sim said:
Basically think i shld end up major something in Biz. I've been considering SMU, maybe econ or something dunno if i can get yet, but e e fact that its 4yrs is really kind of long. On e other hand, i always huv this insecure feeling abt dist learning! Not sure to what extend those degree are recognised in e mkt
i'll recommend dist learning to those who cant give up their job.. if u have the means, go for full-time on-campus studies..
if u dun do it now, u might not be able to do it later when u have other commitments like for eg. family
i can tell u, going back to school is something that i do not regret despite the loss of income.. :D

One serious word of advice: Make sure you know what you want to get out of the degree. It's easy to want to use studying as an escape route to quit a job or some other issues, like bad economy and such.

I've got a friend who took 2 Masters and still 'lost'. Another one who already got an B.Eng (Hons) from NUS, worked for 2 years or so, not satisfied, spent more $$ (with savings and help from parents). Then studied in Australia for a Masters in IT, thinking he wanted to switch to a new job. When he came back, still couldn't find a suitable job! Stuck where he was previously. In short, these friends of mine are still 'ding-dong-ing' around...

I can name a few more examples from other friends and what I've heard around. I feel these days, getting a degree has become so commercialized. Just look at what is happening to NUS and NTU. They accept people into Bachelors and Masters Programmes even though they don't even satisfy the main prerequisites, and not to mention, they can now set their own course fees. Even if it becomes exhorbitant, who is to stop them?

Flip any day's papers and you can see tons of adverts from schools about getting Honours degrees, Masters, even Ph.D's either locally or overseas. Gone are the days where getting into unis require an above average standard.

The big question remains: What do you or can you get out of the degree?

But if you really feel passionate about a subject, feel that getting a degree will help you in your aspirations, then I'd say Go for it! As for whether to get it locally or overseas, you got to do detailed research on their credibility, speciality and most importantly how much you can afford. Of course given a choice, I'd say it's hard to beat the experience of living overseas and the teaching system there compared to the local unis here. I'd certainly choose the former. The main issue is undeniably $$$.

Good luck!

Yup I'll would prefer to do full-time. Let say overseas, whch are the reputable business sch?

Firstly, consider your finances when deciding whether to go overseas or not for your education. On average, you would need easily S$30k per year of study in cheaper locations. A 3 year course would set you back by S$100k without any problem. If money no problem...then go for it.

Secondly, consider the course you intend to take... some of the courses offered in Singapore universities are better than those offered in other countries....We have indeed come a long way since my time... In my opinion, you must consider the hard and soft factors in education...remember there are thousands of graduates every year in Singapore and that piece of paper just about get you that first step into the interview room...everything else depends on your X factor...

After you have decided on the first two factors, the rest would be easy, pick the one that gives you the best satisfaction, enrich your experience and broaden your exposures...it definitely will help shape your personality and character.

For me, money was indeed a problem and I didn't take too long to figure that I cannot but dream of an overseas degree.....I would have to save about S$250 k now to get my PhD overseas.

For a string of As and Bs, I don't think you would have a problem getting into Singapore universities with their new entry requirements.

Anyway, good luck mate!

cs_sim said:
Yup I'll would prefer to do full-time. Let say overseas, whch are the reputable business sch?

You can go to the respective country's representative. Like British council for UK, and another one for Ozy uni not sure thou... somewhere near Shangri La Hotel. they have ppl to advise you.

Sad to say for you CS that Singapore has one of the best business schools in Asia....along with the top schools in Japan, Thailand, etc...

Thanks pple for yr advice! Basically think i'm quite decided on Econs coz think it suit my character most, not really a sales type if not would huv chosen mkting. Unfortunately its quite impossible to get into Nus n Ntu with my ave results still i guess. :( SMU seems like e ideal choice cost wise but 4yrs really seem long.

Does any one huv any idea what kind of jobs do pple end up in with Bac. in Econs n Fin?

Status
Not open for further replies.