Overseas Photographic Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whowillbe

Apr 5, 2005
Hi people,

I'm wondering whether are there any companies here which organises overseas photographic trips... Do appreciate any recommendations as I'm looking for such a vendor. Thanks.

hmm....just backpack with your camera and shoot loh.....

Why let 3rd party earn the extra.

Its always fun to organise and plan for your own trips. You'll understand more and get more information on the place, people, landscape, etc. before going to the actual site. This makes travelling alot more interesting actually.

hmm....just backpack with your camera and shoot loh.....

yes i would do that if i'm travelling alone...

The reason why i'm asking for a vendor is because this is a school trip therefore require vendor who has the relevant experience.

I can always do the reading etc... but nothing beats someone who's experience with the region. Wouldn't want to waste the students' money.

So would appreciate if anyone has any recommendations.

If its for a government school, I'd recommend you to go through tender bidding system. Anyway, you can take some reference from the bidding system (e.g. take note which companies bidded for it) and you may contact them seperately to provide you with more information.

Cheers

Thanks Lmodel...

However I would still need to seek out my preferred vendor...

though the main purpose of the tender system is as what you've described but the unwritten practice is still to find the one you want then put up a tender. Unless some unknow vendor comes in with a very good offer, otherwise we'll stick to our preferred vendor.

If I were to put up a tender without a preferred vendor and then have to reject them all, then I would have to give a reason yada yada and my admin side will knock my head...

try check out PSS for overseas trip... they organise at least 2 trips a year.

If its for a government school, I'd recommend you to go through tender bidding system. Anyway, you can take some reference from the bidding system (e.g. take note which companies bidded for it) and you may contact them seperately to provide you with more information.

Cheers

Last round what we did was to ask for 3 quotes from different company .. we tell them what we want and look at what they offerred .. normally the lowest or 2nd lowest get it and meet our specification .. :)

Hi people,

I'm wondering whether are there any companies here which organises overseas photographic trips... Do appreciate any recommendations as I'm looking for such a vendor. Thanks.

What kinds of overseas photography trips do you have in mind? Where do you want to go?

What photography subjects do you have in mind?

Last round what we did was to ask for 3 quotes from different company .. we tell them what we want and look at what they offerred .. normally the lowest or 2nd lowest get it and meet our specification .. :)

Yeah, which is why TS has got to know what he wants before he can ask for a quote. Tenderers always like to get vendors to do the homework for them for more information. End of day, the lowest bidder still get the job unless there is any major non-compliance.

Yeah, which is why TS has got to know what he wants before he can ask for a quote. Tenderers always like to get vendors to do the homework for them for more information. End of day, the lowest bidder still get the job unless there is any major non-compliance.

On a school trip, it is not always the lowest quote that get the job ... The reputation of the company and the safety record of the ground operators are some factors that they consider also. And most importantly ... if it is an educational trip, then the purpose and learning aspect has to be met.

On a school trip, it is not always the lowest quote that get the job ... The reputation of the company and the safety record of the ground operators are some factors that they consider also. And most importantly ... if it is an educational trip, then the purpose and learning aspect has to be met.

Ermm... in a tender, the tender specs has to be drafted out before putting it up for bid. Therefore, bidders got to comply most if not all of the specs as drafted.

Perhaps I should rephrase it as that the lowest bidder whom can comply with the tender specs will get the job (though most should comply, else why put in the bid in the first place).

guys.... thanks for all the advice....

i do have some idea of what i want but due to the lack of experience and also wanting to make sure that my students will benefit the most, i'll have to check out the vendors first to see what they can offer and then discuss with them my plans too...

other than me and lighting... any other teachers too??? :)

Join the Singapore Photographic society. They do organised course and sometimes, the teacher also organised their private ones....

X-Trekkers at Seah Street organises overseas trips for schools. You can contact Mr Lik.

It is very diffrent going on a photo trip with a tour company as opposed to a specially designed trip for photographers only. E.g. You get up early in the morning (depending on the season, but can be as early as 4.30 am) travel to some place nice to take sunrise shots, followed by early morning shooting to take advantage of the soft lighting conditions. When the light becomes too harsh, like about 11am - 3 pm, you may travel to another spot during this downtime to shoot more subjects. Or you might travel to a different town where you spend enough time to take sunset shots. After dinner then you may be driven back to your hotel at about 9.30 - 10 pm. This is a typical day's routine.

With a tour company, the tour guides will bring you shopping or to some tourist spot where they will collect commission s from the stuff that you buy. You typically leave the hotel at about 8.30 am, which doesn't give you time to so sunrise shots. You'll be lucky to get 2 - 3 hours of good shooting time in a day!

So it all depends on what you want to achieve when you go on a trip.. To sight see or to take photos! I know what I want!

Join the Singapore Photographic society. They do organised course and sometimes, the teacher also organised their private ones....

i dun see information on overseas trip on their website

Status
Not open for further replies.