overpaid for a filter?

donkey69

Deregistered
Aug 21, 2009
east
hi all, recently bought a 77mm kenko pro1d protector(w) filter from John 3:16. paid $160 for it. wondering if i got ripped off???

It look like quite high prices I got my kenko zeta series 77 mm protector which I think is higher series used at $45 and the new one only $80

ic, so it seems like i really did overpay. disappointing, since i trusted john 3:16 to be a sincere/reputable shop.

How about d price of stofen (270EX) at selling price of $30!!! So small yet so freakin EX!!!

Yes, you got ripped off big time. I think this filter costs about 80 tops.

seems like john 3:16 sells lenses and bodies at reasonable prices, but like the other shops, tend to overprice their accessories.

ic, so it seems like i really did overpay. disappointing, since i trusted john 3:16 to be a sincere/reputable shop.

Cannot use the term "rip off" cos they did not cheat nor did they entice or coerce you to buy. You wanted the stuff. They quoted you the price. You paid up.

What you can do is go down to the shop, ask to see the same sales person and ask him to quote you a pice for the same stuff. If it is lower, then ask him to reimburse you the difference since you claimed that you have overpaid for it.

If after confronting them nicely, they still do not want to reimburse you the difference then your next logical option is to claim the full sum from the "Small Claims Tribunal". This is what they call the cooling off period.

John 3:16 is always a bit more ex. Sometimes 10 - 15% more than the others. Everybody knows that. But we still want to buy from them because they are so friendly. They want to make you feel special so that you will part with your money readily.

In making your claims, remember to keep your cool and ask nicely. Customers who showed their colours when they feel they are in the right will rarely get their money back.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Cannot use the term "rip off" cos they did not cheat nor did they entice or coerce you to buy. You wanted the stuff. They quoted you the price. You paid up.

What you can do is go down to the shop, ask to see the same sales person and ask him to quote you a pice for the same stuff. If it is lower, then ask him to reimburse you the difference since you claimed that you have overpaid for it.

If after confronting them nicely, they still do not want to reimburse you the difference then your next logical option is to claim the full sum from the "Small Claims Tribunal". This is what they call the cooling off period.

John 3:16 is always a bit more ex. Sometimes 10 - 15% more than the others. Everybody knows that. But we still want to buy from them because they are so friendly. They want to make you feel special so that you will part with your money readily.

In making your claims, remember to keep your cool and ask nicely. Customers who showed their colours when they feel they are in the right will rarely get their money back.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

The term "ripped off" can indeed be used in this context.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripoff,

A ripoff (or rip-off) is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person overpays for something. A ripoff is distinguished from a scam in that a scam involves wrongdoing such as fraud; whether or not something is a ripoff, on the other hand, is in the eye of the beholder.

seems a rather debatable issue to me.

take it as a lesson fee then...
many of us here paid such fees in one way or another...

hmm... if tat's the problem, u might wan to go back and ask did they charge u the wrong price?
Becuz last time there's a promotion purchase wif purchase. My friend got 1000D frm john 316 and i think can buy the EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM at $99. He gave the non-USM to my friend instead. Is only when I realise something amiss, so I ask her to go back change. They did change and said "ohh, sorry, think got a wrong lens" at a weird conscious tone. 做賊心緒
If I din realise it, so he wld hv successfully get rid of his non-usm lens.

But tat's 1-sided complaint frm me... no offence to any1 who like to purchase frm John316

Yes you obviously overpaid. Take it as a lesson learnt. Whether it's a $10k lens or a $50 filter, do your research before buying.
Looking at it positively, you didn't lose too much in absolute amount. Just go out and enjoy shooting with your new filter.

This is one 'reputable' shop I m avoiding... There are many others shops offering competitive prices and good service..

The term "ripped off" can indeed be used in this context.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripoff,

A ripoff (or rip-off) is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person overpays for something. A ripoff is distinguished from a scam in that a scam involves wrongdoing such as fraud; whether or not something is a ripoff, on the other hand, is in the eye of the beholder.

I beg to differ Sir. Rip off is an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle according to dictionary.com. In this instance, he was not cheated and neither was he swindled. In Singapore context, if the seller did not intend to mislead nor attempt to cheat, and the buyer was willing to pay for the transection even if he is not aware of the true cost, then he has no cause to cry foul under the law. In Singapore, the term "Ripoff" is defined as an attempt to cheat.

wow, .... and ouch..... that is ex...... I'm confident Sam and/or his dad will correct this

who served you ? curious

IIRC there was a thread before which discussing the same issue

Selling at double the price is abit too much I think. Can almost get b+w cpl for that price.