overpaid for a filter?

Give them (the shop) the benefit of the doubt and try bruno84sg's method.
It just be an innocent mistake by the shop assistant or etc.

Go/head down and ask them to re-quote a price for the filter and proceed from there is the price differs from the price you have paid.
Either that or ask if they might have given you the wrong product you have purchased.

No harm trying i would say :)

The benefit of doubt for repeated mistakes?? :eek:

Give them (the shop) the benefit of the doubt and try bruno84sg's method.
It just be an innocent mistake by the shop assistant or etc.

Go/head down and ask them to re-quote a price for the filter and proceed from there is the price differs from the price you have paid.
Either that or ask if they might have given you the wrong product you have purchased.

No harm trying i would say :)
yeah give them the benefit of doubt.. maybe they accidentally charged the price of CPL instead of UV

I'll just head back to the shop and ask for assistance in this matter.

I beg to differ Sir. Rip off is an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle according to dictionary.com. In this instance, he was not cheated and neither was he swindled. In Singapore context, if the seller did not intend to mislead nor attempt to cheat, and the buyer was willing to pay for the transection even if he is not aware of the true cost, then he has no cause to cry foul under the law. In Singapore, the term "Ripoff" is defined as an attempt to cheat.

What ludicrous explanation is this? :bsmilie: If the TS pays well over RRP, he is entitled to say what he feels and it would not be surprising if other readers feel or think the same. However, we won't know if the TS is just spinning a story. But if it is true, it is fine for the TS to say

Rip off
Swindle
Cheat

you can just ask the shop about it.

like others have said, john 3:16 charges more but is friendly - perhaps overfriendly.

anyways, i don't think they overcharge that much - might be a mistake.

i also had this similar experience with one of the staffs there... ask abt a certain filter and he quoted like almost 40 dollar more than the average price, juz cant be bothered and ask again for the exact price from les... yup that les, which turn out only 5 dollar more than the mass sales here in cs...

think its either a genuine mistake or u ask the wrong guy and he quoted u skyhigh to boost his comission...

juz my 2 cents

I dun think it's a mistake.
They also quote me around $110 for a 72mm kenko pro1d uv filter.
The salesperson(a young short guy) even took out the filter to show me how good the quality.
I almost laugh at him lol, I bought a 77mm b+w uv filter only for around $90.
Can"t Imagine how many newbies already kena 'ripped off'.

Sorry, double post.

Last edited:
alright, it seems that i really should bring down the receipt, ask them for a quote, then ask them nicely why i paid 160, and now they only quote me $xx. it isnt the issue about money now, it's just that i am unhappy with such sale techniques, if the sales assistant really quoted me sky high prices for comm. but i do remember leslie/ the boss which i cant remember his name serving me.

ask for an equote. then you can have black and white when compare to your receipt

What ludicrous explanation is this? :bsmilie: If the TS pays well over RRP, he is entitled to say what he feels and it would not be surprising if other readers feel or think the same. However, we won't know if the TS is just spinning a story. But if it is true, it is fine for the TS to say

Rip off
Swindle
Cheat

My good Sir, TS is entitled to say what he feels. However, don't go around saying you're cheated simply because you are ignorant and didn't do your homework before making a purchase.

Try going to Small Claims Tribunal and claime that you were cheated and then see whether the tides will turn against your favour. I have already mentioned earlier to approach the seller and see whether there was indeed a mistake in pricing and to claim the difference. Sometimes words spoken in a moment of haste will evoke a different outcome.

:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Last edited:
alright, it seems that i really should bring down the receipt, ask them for a quote, then ask them nicely why i paid 160, and now they only quote me $xx. it isnt the issue about money now, it's just that i am unhappy with such sale techniques, if the sales assistant really quoted me sky high prices for comm. but i do remember leslie/ the boss which i cant remember his name serving me.

I think many readers would be interested to hear the outcome since the shop is reportedly a reputable one. Maybe you can also ask at other shops to confirm the price they are selling at before going to John. Anyway, personally think that the price you had to pay is really ridiculous. :angry:

Good luck! ;)

Just take it as a lesson learnt if you cant get your money back, remember to do your research next time, and the mass sale's section offers the best prices for HOya or b+w filters any day :thumbsup:

Filter is one of those items that has a huge fluctuated price. Most people only think of it after they bought the lens so the sales will always has a good opportunity to sell you a filter at a good profit margin.

I plan my lens purchase in such a way that I bought the filter before the lens and will bring it with me when I go to buy the lens so I can put it on the minute I open the lens box. I have never had a problem with buying overpriced filters. Maybe it is just me...

should have at least check out the price in cs mass order bro...even 77mm B+W is cheaper than than what u've paid for....

IMO most shop earn lesser on the main items, they try to earn back on the small stuff. thus stuff like filter are more ex, shop got rent to pay, staff to pay salary to on top of their profit. its not fair to compare their price to MO price of filter. think its only fair that TS check to other shops for their price for the same filter and then compare those prices to that of john 3:16. and as most ppl know john is more EX on their price but make up with friendly services.

IMO i think $10-20 more than other shop for john is norm in the case of good filter.

I beg to differ Sir. Rip off is an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle according to dictionary.com. In this instance, he was not cheated and neither was he swindled. In Singapore context, if the seller did not intend to mislead nor attempt to cheat, and the buyer was willing to pay for the transection even if he is not aware of the true cost, then he has no cause to cry foul under the law. In Singapore, the term "Ripoff" is defined as an attempt to cheat.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ripoff?view=uk

noun informal
1 an article that is greatly overpriced.
2 an inferior imitation.

Since TS's filter wasn't an "inferior imitation", it was grossly overpriced. It was therefore a rip-off, understand?

Actually if you go to a reputable shop, like Cathay, you may pay a little more for accessories if you do not know the market price but you will not expect to be ripped off.