Overnight parking at HDB and URA lots to cost more

razor

May 3, 2003
Woody Land
www.razin-photography.com
For those wedding photographers driving to their clients location for shoots, esp if u need to reach the bride's place before 6am...

Overnight parking at HDB and URA lots to cost more
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 02 August 2010 1038 hrs

Singapore: Charges under the Night Parking Scheme (NPS) offered at HDB and URA carparks will be doubled with effect from 1 Nov 2010.

The overnight night parking charge of $2 will be revised to $4, while the current night parking half-hourly charge remains at 50 cents.

In a news release, the HDB and URA said most NPS carparks which provide overnight parking for non-resident motorists are currently heavily utilized.

Due to the higher parking demands, residents with Season Parking Ticket(SPT) are facing difficulties in finding parking space when they return home at night to these carparks which initially offered adequate parking space to meet season parking needs.

The HDB estimates that about 10 per cent of its carparks do not have enough spaces for residents nearby. Singapore's growing car population has been cited as the main reason for this carpark crunch, with many households owning more than one vehicle.

Lee Bee Wah, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC said: "Initially, the problem was mainly around coffeeshops, markets, Chinese temples or the Yishun Stadium. Recently, I have received feedback from residents from other areas as well. So this looks like a common problem in HDB estates."

Ms Lee said she receives one complaint a week from residents facing parking difficulties.

With the parking charge revision, it's hoped that the interests of Season Parking Ticket holders will be better served, while managing the parking demands.

But some worry that the problem may simply be pushed to other parts of the estate.

Ms Lee said: "It may deter some non-residents from parking. But the number of cars is there. They don't park at the HDB carpark lots, they may be parking it somewhere else, because you have to park the car somewhere. So it may impact some other areas, like more illegal parking lots."

Another MP, Halimah Yacob of Jurong GRC, feels that while it would help to ease the parking woes of residents, the amount is not very significant.

Madam Halimah added that the problem requires "a strategy of how to ensure that there is enough parking places in Singapore. And that kind of planning is not only confined to just HDB, it has to be planning on the part of the Ministry of Transport as well."

Residents were divided on the impact of the revision.

"I think it makes no difference. If they want to park overnight, whether it's $2 or $4, they will still park," said one Singapore resident.

"It makes no difference for season parking ticket holders. But if I have to park somewhere else, the jump from $2 to $4 is quite expensive," said another.

The new $4 night parking coupons will be available for sale from 15 October.

The HDB and URA said motorists holding the $2 night parking coupons can continue to use them by displaying two $2 coupons. - CNA/sf/ls

typical solution for this type of problem: - charge more...

It was poor planning that caused this problem to begin with, and now motorists have to bear the burden.

hmmm because of night parking problem at Yishun stadium, the night parking charges at my place in Woodlands is double.... ???

Shouldnt they be more selective and only pin point the problem areas?

''Burn not the house to fight the mouse''

Due to the higher parking demands, residents with Season Parking Ticket(SPT) are facing difficulties in finding parking space when they return home at night to these carparks which initially offered adequate parking space to meet season parking needs.

than why not allocate more season lots? :dunno:

how do they know by charging double will solve the problem... have to give it to all the genius working for the garment...

wont taking away the night parking for those affected areas solve it since the complaint was due to the residence themselves are not able to park in the first place... night parking was made available to those car park that supposingly have extra parking space... since the parking is deem not enough, then remove night parking lah... charge double for what, ppl need to park will still park what...

i know my CCK house does not have night parking... only the multi story car park has...

Photographer to brides:
"since HDB charge 100% more on overnight parking..
so I need double my early show up surcharge..."

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

what a load of bull crap! when problem arises... instead of finding out what is the root cause of it... they increase charges. we've seen this in the ERP and public transport. and now, it's the night parking. rubbish i'd say... :angry:

looks like now... no more late night mahjong liao :bsmilie:

hmmm because of night parking problem at Yishun stadium, the night parking charges at my place in Woodlands is double.... ???

Shouldnt they be more selective and only pin point the problem areas?

''Burn not the house to fight the mouse''

something HDB did at my estate was downright weird. because at that point they had only carpark lots for about 40% of the households, they razed one of the larger car parks to build a multi-storey carpark. therefore, during the time they created another carkpark using a large piece of land the same size as the one the MSCP was being built on.

after the MSCP was built, we found out that totally now all the car parks can only cater to about 75% of the entire estate including the temp car park.

buttttttt guess what HDB did... remove the temp car park, reducing the capacity for parking to abt 60%. then turn the whole place into grassland again and built a small lawn bowling court somewhere in the middle of it, which no one uses.

great use of land? :dunno:

something HDB did at my estate was downright weird. because at that point they had only carpark lots for about 40% of the households, they razed one of the larger car parks to build a multi-storey carpark. therefore, during the time they created another carkpark using a large piece of land the same size as the one the MSCP was being built on.

after the MSCP was built, we found out that totally now all the car parks can only cater to about 75% of the entire estate including the temp car park.

buttttttt guess what HDB did... remove the temp car park, reducing the capacity for parking to abt 60%. then turn the whole place into grassland again and built a small lawn bowling court somewhere in the middle of it, which no one uses.

great use of land? :dunno:

no... create demand by decreasing supply. hence, they can justify price increase :nono:

It was poor planning that caused this problem to begin with, and now motorists have to bear the burden.

Bro,
Are you sure by charging more is the solution...I think it is a lame excuse without solution.
Look at ERP, for this years what has been solved??? Ya only more and more gantries islandwide ...

Well, they need to Balance the budget, and where else can they fill the mola to pay for the S$300 million plus cost for the YOG ? MOE bought like 80,000 ticktets right ? Well, that needs $$ too...

same what, public transport need to make more profit, what they do? increase fare lor.

when transport breaks down they get fine, profit is down, how to recover? increase fare lor.

yang muao chu zai yang sheng shang. easiest to solve problem, unlike mnc, crack head to cut cost & increase productivity & quality.

nobody can say its the wrong approach to solve problem. when one monopolise the market, always take the easiest way out. human nature.

Last edited:
same what, public transport need to make more profit, what they do? increase fare lor.

when transport breaks down they get fine, profit is down, how to recover? increase fare lor.

yang muao chu zai yang sheng shang. easiest to solve problem, unlike mnc, crack head to cut cost & increase productivity & quality.

Thats very true. But sad to say, those at the helm of Stat Board, usually were courted from the senior management of MNC. Case of, once I have the power, I can do whatever I think is right....

Thats very true. But sad to say, those at the helm of Stat Board, usually were courted from the senior management of MNC. Case of, once I have the power, I can do whatever I think is right....

precisely, they know how difficult it is to crack the head, so always use easiest option. do u think they answer to public or board?

precisely, they know how difficult it is to crack the head, so always use easiest option. do u think they answer to public or board?

True

MNC = pte mkt, very elastic demand. So increasing selling price may work against sale/revenue, so working on cost will be a better option.

Stat Board = public mkt . very inelastic demand ( no other choice ) . Eg dun buy HDB, go pay more for pte condo lor, or dun park at HDB, URA, then park at Wilson or Premas lor..
So increasing revenue is the easy way out and no brain cells will die by trying to bring down the cost...

$2 extra will not bankrupt me but this will not solve the problem...........

No matter how i think, the main motive is to increase price.... the lack of carpark slot maybe true but it is used as an excuse only....

Photographer to brides:
"since HDB charge 100% more on overnight parking..
so I need double my early show up surcharge..."

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
soon all private carparks will also increase their rates....
fully agreed that the local Boards usually look for the simplest solution to solve a problem because Singaporeans are all so tame and rich :p
look at Sentosa, it's now a almost private place for the rich only. Used to enjoy driving in to the various parts of Sentosa and enjoy the scenery at almost no costs, no entrance fee, no car park charges, etc... now it will cost one at least $15 just to be at one part of Sentosa!

why cant they juz offer more season parking tickets and paint more lots for season pass only??? problem solved. if u dont have a pass means u dont belong there.

"Another MP, Halimah Yacob of Jurong GRC, feels that while it would help to ease the parking woes of residents, the amount is not very significant."

if not significant then dun increase lah, not point increasing if it doesn't make a difference or help to solve the problem... just wanna make us pay more!!

To them it may not be significant...but not all of us are rich ppl.. Y all the carpark have to increase? y not use the ERP system, pay more only at effected areas lah!! dun be lazy and do the survey and dun keep asking ppl to PAY AND PAY!!! :angry:.

Last edited: