Overexposed Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanide24

Jul 14, 2006
Hi,

I had several photos taken with the following sky.
Is it an overexposed problem?

IMG_10231.jpg

If so, how can I prevent this besides reducing shutter speed?
White balance? Filter?
I have taken another one with a better looking sky.
Just want to know how to have a nice sky everytime.

IMG_1020.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance. ;)

what u can do is under exposure compensation go for -1/3 or -1/2

or u can use a circular polariser to bring out the sky's contrast

alternatively

do not meter the white / grey areas.... if u have no choice..den u can set to manual and shoot.....

cause if u are shooting on semi-auto or auto, the camera tend of over expose to get the whole picture properly exposed. tats depends on where u meter also. u meter the sky u get a underexpose picture also... :bsmilie:

idor said:
or you can also use a grad ND filter.... :angel:

Thanks for your reply.
What is a grad ND filter? :dunno:

glennyong said:
what u can do is under exposure compensation go for -1/3 or -1/2

or u can use a circular polariser to bring out the sky's contrast

alternatively

do not meter the white / grey areas.... if u have no choice..den u can set to manual and shoot.....

cause if u are shooting on semi-auto or auto, the camera tend of over expose to get the whole picture properly exposed. tats depends on where u meter also. u meter the sky u get a underexpose picture also... :bsmilie:
I was on a slow moving car (prob 20km/h) when I snapped both pictures.
Didn't have time to do a manual then.
Will try using the exposure compensation, since it's pretty easy to change that on the Canon S3.
Thanks.

GND will be difficult if your dark and bright areas are too far away from a straight line, like the bright areas in your 2nd pic is L shaped... Hope that your CPL can do the trick or do double exposure and PS later...

This has just been discussed last week.

The sky is over-exposed because the tonal range of scene is much greater than what your camera CCD sensor can capture.

In the 2nd picture, the sun was illuminating the foreground and therefore the brightness difference between foreground and sky was much smaller than the scene in 1st picture and the camera CCD sensor was able to capture the narrower tonal range.

For how to deal with such a situation, read this thread : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=208568

idor said:
or you can also use a grad ND filter.... :angel:

Absolutely correct ! :)

Go library borrow a few photography books, the example photos tell a thousand words :)

try this. don't shoot agains the light. make sure the light is not coming from infront of you. this is best if you are in the moving car. no time to setup anything... or else just life with it if you can't affort to loose the beautiful scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.