Overdue payment reminder ~~ Need advice ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albertmm

Sep 9, 2007
hi all bro, need ur advice......

I hav a mobile subscription 2 yr plan which i no longer/hardly use now cuz my work provides me a line.

Problem is due to 2yr contract. I cant just terminate. I didnt pay for 3 months also. Now got reminder to pay, saying no pay will cut the line.

So, my question here is......no pay of bills means auto termination of my contract?
If that so, i will just ignore it.

Or if i dont pay, will they sue me? well...my bill is just about S$70 for outstanding 3 months.

let me know ur experience with it....... and how to terminate prudently and wisely. :sweatsm:

I hav a mobile subscription 2 yr plan which i no longer/hardly use now cuz my work provides me a line.

Problem is due to 2yr contract. I cant just terminate. I didnt pay for 3 months also. Now got reminder to pay, saying no pay will cut the line.

So, my question here is......no pay of bills means auto termination of my contract?

Or if i dont pay, will they sue me? well...my bill is just about S$70 for outstanding 3 months.

let me know ur experience with it....... and how to terminate prudently and wisely. :sweatsm:

good job... its your own personal liability to pay for your own debts.

just to let you know, it won't terminate your contract, it'll just terminate your services.

Then you are liable to be paying 70 plus the lawyer letters, plus interest, and until all is settled, you are suppose to carry on your contract. Just wait til it snowball to a big amount, then they will definitely sue you. You are just dragging and paying more.

Just own up and pay the service provider, they were not at fault but you, else check if you can transfer the service to someone else, maybe with a small transfer fee. Not nice to follow thru with your above intention.

../azul123

scary !!....
then i better settle. :sweat:

I'll revise it instead of saying "liable" (which implies absolute liability) to that they will attempt to claim the costs of lawyers letters and interest and all that from you. Whether you are liable is another question altogether.

For interest, it depends on whether the terms of the contract even allows them to impose interest. Otherwise they may not be able to sustain a claim for that.

As for legal fees, that is again debatable on how much is really recoverable.

good job... its your own personal liability to pay for your own debts.

just to let you know, it won't terminate your contract, it'll just terminate your services.

Then you are liable to be paying 70 plus the lawyer letters, plus interest, and until all is settled, you are suppose to carry on your contract. Just wait til it snowball to a big amount, then they will definitely sue you. You are just dragging and paying more.

However do also bear in mind that if you choose to terminate now, they may slap an early termination penalty on you, and the final amount you need to pay, may be more than the S$70.00 you referred to.

Hence weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly.

You have to do your maths. You can terminate yr contract if its still in the early stage if you do not need the line for the reminder of the contract. However, please be reminded that you will also be liable to pay for the Handset if you had taken one when you signed the contract.

End of day you still have to pay the $70 bill. plus latepayment fees plus plus plus

I'll revise it instead of saying "liable" (which implies absolute liability) to that they will attempt to claim the costs of lawyers letters and interest and all that from you. Whether you are liable is another question altogether.

For interest, it depends on whether the terms of the contract even allows them to impose interest. Otherwise they may not be able to sustain a claim for that.

As for legal fees, that is again debatable on how much is really recoverable.

However do also bear in mind that if you choose to terminate now, they may slap an early termination penalty on you, and the final amount you need to pay, may be more than the S$70.00 you referred to.

Hence weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly.

aiyo, so technical...

whatever it is, no telco/business will sue a person for 70 bucks, cos the legal cost is going to be more than that. he can choose to ignore. worth it or not, up to him.

iirc, he have to pay on top of that 70, each legal letter about 20-50 bucks (if sent), each notification mail on payment (50cents to 1 buck), reactivation charges (50-200 bucks), and pre contract termination depends on contract(200-800 or more)...

happy paying, esp when it adds up.

Have to be clear, because it otherwise means he DIE DIE have to do it, otherwise it is simply a claim from A to B. This reminds me of the SBS forum letter where SBS tried to give the misimpression that a commuter must DIE DIE surrender his ezlink card when the driver asked for it.

It is always useful to know the legal position and one can then decide accordingly.

As for the costs of notifications and legal letters, again I believe these are just claims- I do not recall seeing nor do I think such sums are commonplace in contracts. That said, I would think the pre-contract termination charge is the thing to look out for, because that will surely be in the contract and stated as a sum for liquidated damages - that would be something that is difficult to challenge or get out of.

Hopefully the TS now has a better idea and sufficient information to make his own decision.

aiyo, so technical...

whatever it is, no telco/business will sue a person for 70 bucks, cos the legal cost is going to be more than that. he can choose to ignore. worth it or not, up to him.

iirc, he have to pay on top of that 70, each legal letter about 20-50 bucks (if sent), each notification mail on payment (50cents to 1 buck), reactivation charges (50-200 bucks), and pre contract termination depends on contract(200-800 or more)...

happy paying, esp when it adds up.

Have to be clear, because it otherwise means he DIE DIE have to do it, otherwise it is simply a claim from A to B. This reminds me of the SBS forum letter where SBS tried to give the misimpression that a commuter must DIE DIE surrender his ezlink card when the driver asked for it.

hmm, so you suggest that he have the option to just don't pay?

i mean, since he sign the contract, he should pay, whether he utilise the services or not. imagine everyone just don't pay and play punk... more and more NINJAs going to exploit this loophole.

the SBS one is another case altogether.

I never said that he has the option to "dont pay" (if by "don't pay" you mean simply ignoring the telco for ALL charges)

For the S$70.00, he will be, in my view, liable for it. Same goes for the early termination charge.

What I was disputing is the "addons" like legal fees, late payment chasers and everything. Those "additional costs" may or may not be enforceable.

I'm using the SBS just as an example to say that there are parties who will seek to impose unilateral (and sometimes non-enforceable) obligations on another party even though they do not have such rights in law.

It should be made clear that I have not (and will not) tell anyone he should pay or that he should not pay. You can see from my posts above that I am merely giving my opinion on the pros/cons on each side, and then the final decision rests with the TS himself. I am also merely correcting what I perceive to be misinformation as I encounter them.

hmm, so you suggest that he have the option to just don't pay?

i mean, since he sign the contract, he should pay, whether he utilise the services or not. imagine everyone just don't pay and play punk... more and more NINJAs going to exploit this loophole.

the SBS one is another case altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said that he has the option to "dont pay" (if by "don't pay" you mean simply ignoring the telco for ALL charges)

For the S$70.00, he will be, in my view, liable for it. Same goes for the early termination charge.

What I was disputing is the "addons" like legal fees, late payment chasers and everything. Those "additional costs" may or may not be enforceable.

I'm using the SBS just as an example to say that there are parties who will seek to impose unilateral (and sometimes non-enforceable) obligations on another party even though they do not have such rights in law.

It should be made clear that I have not (and will not) tell anyone he should pay or that he should not pay. You can see from my posts above that I am merely giving my opinion on the pros/cons on each side, and then the final decision rests with the TS himself. I am also merely correcting what I perceive to be misinformation as I encounter them.

aiyo, so excited...

i only asking nia... no need get so excited...

well, also giving him the hint of what will and might pop up lor...

ok....quite interesting points to take note........
i think i better settle the payment. otherwise, later more headache. :sweat:

Don't worry, I'm just giving a counter-view to balance it out and am no more excited than you are hehe :)

aiyo, so excited...

i only asking nia... no need get so excited...

well, also giving him the hint of what will and might pop up lor...

Ah yes, that is correct, whether you end up right or wrong or have to pay late charges or can get away with not paying them, the undeniable fact still remains that you will get more "headache".

ok....quite interesting points to take note........
i think i better settle the payment. otherwise, later more headache. :sweat:

You have $70 outstanding from 3 months of usage of the service. IMO, if you want the service, u pay for it and not get the service and then try hard not to pay for what you get.

Though you hardly use your line or not going to use it anymore, you derived benefits in terms of cheaper/free phones or free gifts. Are you willing to pay back these benefits to the telco for a fair deal to terminate the contract?

I will advise that just pay the service and learn from it. but then again, u r entitled to not pay if you wish to...just bear the consequences...

Status
Not open for further replies.