Overcast sky at Pulau Ubin

Status
Not open for further replies.

innoxist

Apr 19, 2006
I took this shot on Maman Beach on Pulau Ubin. The settings were F11, 1/1000 on a Nikon D50. Personally, I think the clouds look a little top-heavy. I'm also wondering if I should have cropped below the gate, so the stick and the rocks at the bottom cannot be seen.

I'm just starting out, so I'd like to hear all your comments.

overcast1jt.jpg

If you crop the dark clouds altogether it is also a picture - the leading lines in the sticks leading into yonder is very calm amd peaceful.

As it is, without cropping, it is also a picture, the heaviness of the clouds is balanced by the dark mass in the rocks and headland below, but now it is a different picture altogether. Now it is brooding, ominous and uncertain.

I prefer the picture as it is.

The only "complain" is the greenish tint - redo your colour correction with your favourite tool, such as levels, etc. or convert to B&W.

To me, the picture came out as a big question mark. What is the person who's trying to show in the scene? Is it the dark greyish sky? Is it the emerging rock on the bottom right hand corner? Is it the row of sticks sticking out in a orderly manner leading from the left to the right? Or is it the lone stick that sit in front of the fence? Or maybe it's the horizon apparently "caged" on the other side of the "fence"?

I think it's a common phenomenon most are facing these days. When one have the ability to take a lot of pictures, one would inevitably be more forgetful of how the scene actually look through the viewfinder, what the intention of the picture was when one hold down the trigger. Think hard. What exactly was going through your mind when you were shooting the scene? What was your main intention in the photograph?

Once you manage to establish your intention, work on that subject(s) by either framing it to enhance it's visibility (crop if need be) or dramatise it (postprocessing). As it is, the picture is a simple case of wanting to capture everything, but dramatically failed to bring any of the subject out. My suggestion would be, to throw away the grey sky, make the landscape landscape format, and work on the contrast of the fence.

To me it look great if you only focus on the pier and remove the sky altogether.

would appreciate some foreground interest. and it would be better if you were at tekong. haha. BMTC rox.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I think what I want to show is basically a gloomy day, not so much of the gate or the rocks by themselves.

Is this better?

overcast29ue.jpg

innoxist said:

I think what I want to show is basically a gloomy day, not so much of the gate or the rocks by themselves.

Is this better?

overcast29ue.jpg

Yes, I like this a lot better !!!

Cheers :)

I like the original. Even with the greenish tint. The contrasting top and bottom ends serve to frame the lighter clouds and the bridge nicely.

innoxist said:

Is this better?

overcast29ue.jpg

this is much better :)
there was too much going on in the 1st photo.

It appears that both of them are just as popular ;)

I guess the first one gives an overall stormier mood, while the second is better in composition?

innoxist said:
It appears that both of them are just as popular ;)

I guess the first one gives an overall stormier mood, while the second is better in composition?

no, first one is a better composition. 2nd one, looks like just a normal typical landscape shot with the horizon in the middle.

well diff ppl see the picture differently i guess.actually i like the 1st 1 too;p

Thanks for all your comments!

Did a panoramic view at Puaka Hill... (highest point of ubin)

Puaka3.jpg

Youhong said:

Puaka3.jpg

The copyright message ruined your whole photo. Make it smaller and push it to a corner?

Youhong said:

Puaka3.jpg

Why don't you start your own thread, instead of barging in to innoxist's?

Youhong: I agree with xray, the copyright message obscures the whole point of the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.