Over exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChenGuy

May 18, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, is there anything i can do to recover a badly over expose pix?

go to photoshop

image --> adjustments --> shadow/highlights.

you set shadows to 0, and highlights, try going to 10-20%, or further.

the trouble with highlights being blown is that even if you are able to recover them, they will be posterised.

alternatively, if you have the RAW file, you can try dialing down the exposure in RAW output. you might be able to get more than the usual jpg highlight recovery step.

personally, i think most of the time overexposed photos are gonecase. you should save your time.

Thank u guys. for the info. I did shoot in raw. I think its way over exposed and beyond help le. i tried brightening it but only making it look posterized.

....I did shoot in raw. I think its way over exposed and beyond help le. i tried brightening it but only making it look posterized.

Not sure which RAW converter software used by thread starter. Generally, this situation should be dealt with mix-and-match of exposure value adjustment, shadow-and-highlight recovery, level curve adjustment (and control point adjustment, if done in Nikon CaptureNX2). Experimentation to achieve desired result is essential in this instance. :)

mind if u show the pic? if see liao we might be able to do something.

if u overexpose till a lot of details gone, then is very hard to get it back.

if just soso nia we might be able to do something

Thank u guys. for the info. I did shoot in raw. I think its way over exposed and beyond help le. i tried brightening it but only making it look posterized.
so it is over or underexposed?

FYI, most of the time for overexposed RAW is salvageable, unless you are two three stops overexposed.

Yikes! :eek: If it's over-exposed, you don't want to brighten it! :nono:

Why not upload the file to www.yousendit.com and post the link here. Then people can download it and try to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.