Over Exposed picture with long shutter speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlease

Mar 18, 2009
Bishan
Hi all bros & sis,

Once I was trying to take a picture of the water waves in Shutter mode.
However when I prolong the shutter time, my picture will be over exposed.:(
May I know from you all bros and sis out there if I need a special filter of it?

If yes, what will be the recommended filter and the recommended brand?

Thanks so much

Hi all bros & sis,

May I know from you all bros and sis out there if I need a special filter of it?

Thanks so much

can try M mode - smaller aperture (big F number), or use ND filter

Neutral Density (ND). The more the x times the more it is darker by x stop. So it depends on how slow you want. A combo with polarizing filter will be nicer.

For me, the cheap one will.

You'd need a ND filter. There are ND's and grad ND's. And each have different grades which stop different amount of light.

if u shoot in Aperture Priority, u "prolong" the shutter duration by using smaller aperture. since the cAmera compensates accordingly, over-exposure should not occur.

u can help by using the slowest ISO.

ND filter only helps when even after using the slowest ISO, smallest aperutre (that u willing to stop down), and u still cant achieve the desired effect.

also, time of the day is important. if u are after very slow shutter, shooting in mid day is not the best idea, unless u use v v strong ND. but i tink, there may be better way to go around the problem.

keep trying.

Try to use bigger f/stop (smaller aperture) to compensate that when u use with longer shutter speed. You have to shoot more to understand about that. :)

In summary,

1) Use ND filter. You can choose the intensity of the filter based on your needs.
2) Use smaller aperture
3) Use lowest possible ISO
4) Try not to shoot in mid-day.

ok dun waste ur money buying the filter first. try out the compensation method like using the slowest iso speed, using a big f/ number or u can increase ur shutter speed by a little. but if u increase ur shutter too much, ur water willl become choppy.

Hi all bros & sis,

Thanks so much

i believe you want to get the smoke on the water effect?

in the first place you need to understand exposure first
in order to get a really slow shutter speed

you need it to be dark

so, lowest ISO speed, smallest aperture f22 or smaller, wait for the sun to set
neutral density or any filter that cuts light

like what Mr Ortega said, you need to meter the scene first.

to get smoky water effect, you need to use long shutter speed.

for an example, you get meter reading of f5.6, 1/125, ISO 200,
when you lower the shutter speed by one stop, you need to close down aperture by one stop to compensate.

so the following settings all have same exposure value

f5.6, 1/125, ISO 200
f8, 1/60, ISO 200
f11, 1/30, ISO 200
f16, 1/15, ISO 200
f22, 1/8, ISO 200

since you can't go any slower shutter speed without overexpose, you need a ND filter to cut down more light entering the camera. or wait for evening when the light level going down.

Hi all bros & sis,

Thanks so much

it really depends on timing,

if you want to shoot smoothed out waves in daytime, then need ND filter, something like 6-10 stop nd filter will be needed.

for sunset timing, after sun has gone down, then you can just shoot with the camera and lens naked, it will not be much of a problem because the light is low.

once you understand exposrue, as others have said, all this will be very natural to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.