Over Exposed Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndster

Oct 23, 2008
Hi Guys, I would like to check with you as everytime i want to shot with slow shutter speed let say 8secs in the day i always got over exposed photos (ie. photo turn white).I tried to lower the ISO but given me the same results. Is there any setting that i should take note? Do i need filters to lower the light conditions? BTW during night shot is fine. I'm using D90. Thanks in advance.

8sec is a bit too long for bright day. Perhaps you can try to close your aperture smaller or use a filter.

8sec is a bit too long for bright day. Perhaps you can try to close your aperture smaller or use a filter.

Thanks subxero will try smaller aperture. BTW if i want to shot waterfall with smooth water flowing what setting should i take note?

maybe you are not sure how to handle a dslr camera.. for day shoot 8 secs or are you referring to 1/80sec? for day shoot ( with sun )which you dont usually need flash to assist you , you need to learn about metering. Before you snap look at the view.. you see a metering device guiding you if your photo will be under or overexpose. then you have to compensate either your aperture or shutter speed to get a good picture. For water fall .. durin gthe day, you still need to do metering but compensate your shutter to slower speed and aperture to meet your metering necessity .. which will then give you a good water effect .. but take note with slow shutter speed you need a steady hand ..

Not only what the above said but also where you are aiming as it can fool the onboard meter.

best solution is trial and error so get out there and shoot even more.

Thanks subxero will try smaller aperture. BTW if i want to shot waterfall with smooth water flowing what setting should i take note?

half sec or so will give u very smooth water liao. no need 8 sec :bigeyes:

set lowest ISO and stop down and i think half sec shd be attainable unless ur waterfall is in bright sunlight

maybe you can consider reading the manual that is included in the D90.

its included there for some reason. and its definitely not meant to be a paperweight, or to let it turn yellow.

dun spend thousands of dollars on a stylish piece of equipment, and not learn how to use it by reading the manual.

Thanks guys! will read more on the camera.

Dont be dis-courage.. just play around with settings.. you either will figure it out.. or you just sometimes.. need some on the job guidance.. to have a better picture...

Dont be dis-courage.. just play around with settings.. you either will figure it out.. or you just sometimes.. need some on the job guidance.. to have a better picture...

NO worries, very good advices for me...

use the lowest ISO,
try aperture mode,
use small aperture eg. f16
then take a metering to see what's the shutter speed
adjust ur aperture to get around 1 sec for smooth flowing water. also depends on how fast it is flowing. try different shutter times & see the different effects.

Learn how to use filters, such as ND filters.

There are situations in outdoors broad daylight when there is no other way to slow the shutter speed of have larger aperture because of the effect that you want but to use ND (neutral density) filters. ND filters cuts the amount of light, and you can stack a few ND filters to the level that you want.

You want that silky, almost icy waterfall look, you'd have to resort to ND filters in daylight. Go buy some, doesn't cost much. Shooting @ late evening helps, but daylight? NoO way you're going to pull it off, ISO won't help a bit and nothing will, unless you're in England

I did the same thing to my on my 1st slr few decades ago... :bsmilie:

You want that silky, almost icy waterfall look, you'd have to resort to ND filters in daylight. Go buy some, doesn't cost much. Shooting @ late evening helps, but daylight? NoO way you're going to pull it off, ISO won't help a bit and nothing will, unless you're in England

I did the same thing to my on my 1st slr few decades ago... :bsmilie:

You'll need powerful ND filters on a very bright day, especially when water reflects light. Not recommended to shoot at very high fs (e.g. f16) as most lenses will not be sharp at that point ;)

lol.

8secs in daylight, y u can take a nice photo using tt "F" than u better start running. ur DSLR got ghost. lolx

try ND filter.. i believe it will help.. and if u wanna go 8 sec.. u hv to set to probably higher than f22 which i dun think its good... ND filters will help u to prolong ur exposure time at optimum setting..

My take in taking water fall in bright sunlight without any filter.
Set to Manual mode. Set ISO to lowest. Set aperture to lowest. Depends on the height of the fall. Count how long it takes to fall from top to bottom. most waterfall I meet 1 sec reach bottom liao. Then set speed to 1 sec. set my exposure compensate to as low as possible. Then PP with lightroom. :p I know no logic. But it works for me

Last edited:
Why do you want to shoot 8s in broad daylight?

Do you understand exposure? Do you understand how to use your camera's built-in light meter to read exposure values and expose correctly? If you fail to understand both of these, then naturally your exposure will not be accurate.

One cannot pluck three values for shutter speed, aperture and ISO out of thin air and hope they make a good exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.