Outrageous! Singlish not considered as a foreign language!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a language by itself dude, its just a variant of our beloved Commonwealth English.

But that reminds me, a British judge ever employed an American English-English translator because he considered American English a foreign English. Haha. ;)

Slivester said:
It is not a language by itself dude, its just a variant of our beloved Commonwealth English.

Do we still have to think that there is a pure, pristine English language with a sacred status that nobody should be allowed to recreate on? Singlish has performed wonderfully in binding our society, cutting across races and religions. Commonwealth English? Just a working language for me, not quite my beloved.

forget about singlish and make an all-hokkien film next time lah.

zaren said:
forget about singlish and make an all-hokkien film next time lah.

no flavour, will look like taiwan movie ... why not just add every other languages used here EXCEPT english? ;p

eikin said:
no flavour, will look like taiwan movie ... why not just add every other languages used here EXCEPT english? ;p

just go with the 10% rule lah. no more than 10% of the movie dialogue should be in singlish. i think the Academy judges can accept that.

zaren said:
just go with the 10% rule lah. no more than 10% of the movie dialogue should be in singlish. i think the Academy judges can accept that.

better still don't enter Oscar lor, so many things to compromise, why do we need to seek the American film academy's approval anyway?

eikin said:
better still don't enter Oscar lor, so many things to compromise, why do we need to seek the American film academy's approval anyway?

because the oscar is a widely regarded pinnacle of recognition in movie making. don't you want to see a singapore-made film make it big on the world stage?

zaren said:
because the oscar is a widely regarded pinnacle of recognition in movie making. don't you want to see a singapore-made film make it big on the world stage?

America Film awards = World stage? nah, they may be relatively advance in many things, but there are so many other options around if seeking 'world recognition'

eikin said:
America Film awards = World stage? nah, they may be relatively advance in many things, but there are so many other options around if seeking 'world recognition'

what other options would u recommend to get world recognition in movies?

eikin said:
do a google for 'international film festival'

yep, i did.

"be with me" was the opening film of cannes film festival 2005.

it's a good start, the next goal would be a singapore movie winning one of the palms in cannes.

the ironic history that the English language was derived from Germany:bsmilie: :bsmilie: so is English a language? (pun intended)

eikin said:
Commonwealth English? Just a working language for me, not quite my beloved.

Thats your opinion, and many people do have differentiated opinions. As for Commonwealth English, yes it is sort of "demanding" to non-native speakers, but for my family the language is held dearly.

Next time try to comprehend my meaning, I was trying to be sarcastic.

eikin said:
Do we still have to think that there is a pure, pristine English language with a sacred status that nobody should be allowed to recreate on? Singlish has performed wonderfully in binding our society, cutting across races and religions.

Nobody ever dare to restrict the production of a variant out of UK English, Commonwealth English is a variant, and the part of parenting group of all of the localised variants such as Singlish. Its recognised worldwide, nobody say its not allowed.

Just that, a variant doesn't really constitute to be another language. Its simply more like a mild dialect.

Sjourn said:
the ironic history that the English language was derived from Germany:bsmilie: :bsmilie: so is English a language? (pun intended)

Yeah its Germanic, but it also constitutes so much words that descended from French, after the Normans took over England. So is German and French and Spanish, they descended from Latin. And Latin derived from Italic languages, and the latin alphabets derived from Greek alphabets.

They are sort of interconnected, but nobody seemed to mind anyway. People still don't really understand another language even if there is a chain there.

Slivester said:
Just that, a variant doesn't really constitute to be another language. Its simply more like a mild dialect.

which modern language we know today isn't a variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.