Outdoor Wedding what equiptment to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolitz

Nov 19, 2003
Paya Lebar area
www.photonski.com
Hi all! good day! First of all pardon me if i put this thread in a wrong place, Im having an Outdoor Wedding photoshoot next month for my officemate wedding, its my first time for outdoor wedding :(..
what equipment should i bring to the location it's a sunset wedding (6pm) at the moment im thinking of buying outdoor flash (batt optd) which is quite expensive for the beginner like me , hope u can help me guys, thnks

Borrow a Metz 60, and a light stand, you also need an umbrella adaptor to mount the flash on to the lights stand, but umbrella is optional.

You also need a reflector and an assistants

Thnks for your reply catchlights, Im using sunpak 555 with external batt, but my concern is, i dont think i can roam around for nice angle if my camera is attached to the flash which is mounted on the tripod with umbrella, should i buy the IR censor, how reliable it is for transmiting signal and what is preferable angle for me to trigger the flash ? by the way its a ROM events. thnks again .

Borrow a Metz 60, and a light stand, you also need an umbrella adaptor to mount the flash on to the lights stand, but umbrella is optional.

You also need a reflector and an assistants

get some props like groundsheet, stools and chairs. may come in handy

jOhO said:
ahhahahahaha catchlights.. funny guy. :bsmilie:

What so funny about this?

He never says is a ROM event, or a wedding day event, just say a outdoor wedding shoot. During 6 pm for sunset, even mention thinking getting a portable strobe unit, I recommend thing to use according to the situation.

I have done this before, so I tell him what's worked, if he mention is a late evening outdoor wedding solemnization. The approach will be different.

So can you tell me what are you implying now?

what you will need is what you are confident of using and using them to produce the desired results. since it will be your first time too, stick to what you are capable and confident of.

buying/renting/borrowing equipment and using them for the first time on that day is a sure recipe for failure. trust me.

tolitz said:
Hi all! good day! First of all pardon me if i put this thread in a wrong place, Im having an Outdoor Wedding photoshoot next month for my officemate wedding, its my first time for outdoor wedding :(..
what equipment should i bring to the location it's a sunset wedding (6pm) at the moment im thinking of buying outdoor flash (batt optd) which is quite expensive for the beginner like me , hope u can help me guys, thnks

reachme2003 said:
what you will need is what you are confident of using and using them to produce the desired results. since it will be your first time too, stick to what you are capable and confident of.

buying/renting/borrowing equipment and using them for the first time on that day is a sure recipe for failure. trust me.

I second what reachme is advising.....dun try outdoor strobes if you have never tried them before. Just get a nice tripod.... adjust your flash output to expose the couple while your camera captures the sunset :) ..remember to meter the sky .....oh, bring a big "prata" too ... you can try some side lighting too. Then again, if you are not confident in manual mode, use aperture priority ..... still meter the sky and adjust your flash output accordingly.

Dun play play ah...we noe not wedding but still ..... ROM leh :sweat:

Good Luck !

AhV said:
I second what reachme is advising.....dun try outdoor strobes if you have never tried them before. Just get a nice tripod.... adjust your flash output to expose the couple while your camera captures the sunset :) ..remember to meter the sky .....oh, bring a big "prata" too ... you can try some side lighting too. Then again, if you are not confident in manual mode, use aperture priority ..... still meter the sky and adjust your flash output accordingly.

Dun play play ah...we noe not wedding but still ..... ROM leh :sweat:

Good Luck !

sorry but can i just ask, if you meter the sky, does that mean that the couple's face becomes underexposeD? simply cos the sky is brighter than the face? i'm assuming here that you're talking spot metering or center weighted?

You meter the sky to ensure you dont blow it. You then adjust flash output to fill in the faces. So you get evenly exposed sky and subject.

Another newbie wanna learn here...
I'm using D70 and SB600. If i use "A" mode, and use Spot Metering
to meter the sky, how to adjust my SB600 to ensure it's not
under/over expose?

how bout this....using a reflector....

catchlights idea of the 60 ct-4 with umbrella works fine....coz basically it produces a similar effect to having a strobe....

if u are shooting at sunset.... i tink flash or some external lighitng is need.... coz of the colour tempreture at sunset..... u need the flash to balance up for the colours....depending on wat u are using...u could use an off cam flash....though i tink its good only for illuminating faces and not much more....

the options are open la....

lillipop....basically u are asking about fill flash....learn to calculate guide number..... tt will give u an approximate of the amt of fill to use.... alternatively...jzu set it to TTL.... meter the background...then afl the metering and flash away on ttl and pray tt it works....

cheers

LolliPoP said:
Another newbie wanna learn here...
I'm using D70 and SB600. If i use "A" mode, and use Spot Metering
to meter the sky, how to adjust my SB600 to ensure it's not
under/over expose?
Use whatever mode to meter the sky, get a reading, let says f5.6, 1/125s, so to make the sky come out nicer, you need to underexpose it by 1 stop, so you can set you camera at f5.6, 1/250s, M mode and you flash TTL, for this the b/g is underexpose by 1 sotp, and the subject will expose by the flash according the "correct" exposure, but you need to adjust the camera setting and the flash compensation for fine tuning the final result.

Witness said:
how bout this....using a reflector....

catchlights idea of the 60 ct-4 with umbrella works fine....coz basically it produces a similar effect to having a strobe....

if u are shooting at sunset.... i tink flash or some external lighitng is need.... coz of the colour tempreture at sunset..... u need the flash to balance up for the colours....depending on wat u are using...u could use an off cam flash....though i tink its good only for illuminating faces and not much more....

cheers
It depands..

If you want a subjects lighted street lamp effects and with sunset on b/g, so the color balance different is all rite, but if you want a subject is lighted by warm sunray and dramatic blue b/g. than you have to chance the color balance of the subject.

Remember we only have one sun, so don’t create the lighting effect as if we have a second sun.

meter/exposing for the sky... i have my reservation.

for me, i would meter/expose for the ambience lighting. and adjust accordingly.

reachme2003 said:
meter/exposing for the sky... i have my reservation.

for me, i would expose for the ambience lighting. and adjust accordingly.

exposing off the sky will not blown out the sunset backdrop then fill in with the flash

i would agree with you if the sunset forms a significant part of the image. thank you.

jopel said:
exposing off the sky will not blown out the sunset backdrop then fill in with the flash

Status
Not open for further replies.