Outdoor shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Hi folks,

I want to ask a few things on outdoor shoot.

I'm having an outdoor shoot soon, and I was wondering how to get the best lighting for my subject. I'm getting a reflector (from the CS MO) and using a speedlight.

Just wondering if I put the reflector on the ground facing up, is it ok? Or would I need a helper to hold on to it? Alternatively, I can hang it on my tripod, which means I can't use it (my tripod) :(. And also how to use the reflector properly? Sorry ah first time shooting. :)

I've been told to flash direct at my subject, what other lighting issues to take note of? Might have to take under 1-4pm kind of natural lighting.

Would umbrellas work as light reflector? I think I've heard of such a thing but I've no ideas how umbrellas can help.

Oh yeah, the other idea is slave flash (I'm broke :p). Most of it would be portrait kind of shots.

Thanks for the help/comments.

To use a reflector properly, you really need an assistant. Reflectors can be bent / twisted in different ways and it's best to have an assistant doing this. A gold reflector is nice for warm skin tones.

Can lean the back of the your reflector against two of the tripod Legs and secure with velcro or tape. At least your reflector will be standing pointing to your subject :bsmilie:

royce: Many thanks for your suggestions, will take note of it. :)

jasonpgc: Yeah that's possible, but I was thinking of using my tripod for my camera instead, so now seems like I need an el-cheapo tripod for the reflector :bsmilie: Dang.. it's going to be heavy carrying two tripods

What I meant was, you still use the tripod for your camera, and your reflector leaning on the SAME tripod :p

if u do close up head shots,u can also ask the model to hold it herself,if u work alone,i think use flash better la.

If you really despo, you can hold reflector in 1 hand and your camera in another hand. It is not easy, but I tried it before and ok for me.

My reflector experiecne:
White reflector - natural soft light on subject face
Silver reflector - hard light, useful when subject is surrounded by gras/trees and will filter off the green cast on face
Gold reflector - warm tone on subject face
Black reflector - you will need it one day

kex: Probably will be half body, close up shots. I will be using flash, but as the sun is on one side of the sky, the other side where the subjet's lighting is not covered, flash is probably not enough, so thought of using a reflector.

astin: That's really worth considering, but using a digital camera, under such sunlight 1/60-1/125 I foresee I might get handshakes if I use single hand. I'm getting a reflector from the MO in Consumer's Section, I hope that will help, now is to find somebody to be my PA :bsmilie:

Thanks for all your advises, keep them coming in :)

if u really wanna use the reflector,u might wanna try a high key shot without using the flash,find a nice background and meter for the face.trying to fully utilise a reflector with an assistant is very hard leh..y dun u get another frd to come with u.then get him to help lor,will make things alot easier.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.